What's new
What's new

OT- BIG Cast iron cylinder sleeve liners aquired, Scrap metal or worth keeping/sell?

jamie76x

Hot Rolled
Long story short, At an estate sale there were a few BIG engines and parts that followed me home from an estate sale. Two crates of (8) cylinder sleeve liners for old Superior / white PTD-8 diesel engines. I purchased them for sub-scrap prices knowing I can atleast make a few bucks if I scrap them but was hoping to find them a better home. After a few phone calls all leads pointed to the one company known for superior/white parts and rebuilding. They told me they have dozens on the shelf and will never run out. So there is no real market for these, on to plan B.

These are BIG liners. approx 22" long, 8.500" I.D and the flange is about 10" o.d.
Is there a market for these as "stock"?

Long story short, At an estate sale there were a few BIG engines and parts that followed me home from an estate sale. Two crates of (8) cylinder sleeve liners for old Superior / white PTD-8 diesel engines. I purchased them for sub-scrap prices...

My local scrap dealer is currently paying a penny/pound. Hardly worth hauling them there. Hope you can repurpose them somehow.

These are 4 stroke diesel cylinder liners, no ports. Turned O.D and Honed I.D with flange. Each is approx 100 lbs. Brand spanking new, in cosmoline. No rusty pipes. Cast iron is 8 and 1/2 center per lb here and I have to go to the scrap yard soon anyway to emply my chip and scrap hoppers.

I doubt it davis.
I was able to get ahold of the 2 main rebuilders / parts suppliers for Superior engines. Both havea stock pile of this exact part number and said they have not sold any since the 90's. They both said that since they are 8.5" bore motors, the new epa requirments put that motor out of existance.
It's possible they were telling me to scrap them to keep them off the market, but I doubt that is the case.

We used to take old liners for the 825 White engines and make lower liner bore sleeves for the 7042, 3524 and 7044 Waukesha engines.

The lower liner bores where the o-ring seals are will rust out pretty badly on some engines and the o-rings don't seal very well. Larger liners make pretty good repair sleeves. If you can find a shop that does that kind of work, and your liners are sized right to make sleeves out of you might be able to sell them.

The only other thing I have ever used old liners for was making entering sleeves for installing pistons. Probably not a big market for 8.5" entering sleeves, but it may be worth poking around.

I don't understand the 8.5" bore being knocked out by EPA requirements. We still run lots of smaller bore engines like the 3500 Cat that have 6.7" bores, and bigger stuff like the 7042 and 7044 Waukesha engines that have 9.375" bores and 3600 Cats with 11" bores. We are still running a few old 2 cycle low speed engines with bores up around 20". The EPA regs are hard on all of them, but I have never run into anything that specified a different standard or banned a specific bore size. I am not familiar with the PTD-8 engine, but maybe it is just an old dirty burn engine that not may people are running anymore. Of course, I am more familiar with natural gas engines than diesels. The only diesels I know very well are the older Cat engines.

If you deal with anyone from South America, Be DAM sure they make the arrangements to pick or ship the parts.

You will have a battle with customs and they will keep your parts .

I think the only way I can market these to South America would be through Gredbay. I have never sold or shipped out of the country but it looks like ebay has its own international shipping program. Between that and paypal I am thinking it will be the safest bet for me. Any thoughts? The company in Texas told me they use the motors in South America also.

I think the only way I can market these to South America would be through Gredbay. I have never sold or shipped out of the country but it looks like ebay has its own international shipping program. Between that and paypal I am thinking it will be the safest bet for me. Any thoughts? The company in Texas told me they use the motors in South America also.

Who ever you use there's still customs fees , you Must have the buyer sign an agreement to pay these fees and file a copy with the order. Cover your A**.

The hit/miss engine guys on the Smokstak forum are sometimes looking for a huge sleeve for some old relic although 8-1/2" is maybe too big for most of those engines. At 100 pounds each I'm guessing the wall thickness is enough that they could stand alone and take the combustion pressure. Maybe somebody would fabricate a hot air engine or low speed demo engine around one or 2 of them?

I would buy a couple of these for an engine I want to build, John Dunn read my mind. I suppose shipping would be a killer to Wisconsin. Cylinder liners from Piston Pa.
Wingit

What I am going to do is put one crate of (8) liners on Greedbay to see what happens.
if they don't sell I will put them piece by piece and then sell the second set of 8 piece by piece.

Back