What's new
What's new

OT: Califorina votes on permanent daylight saving time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill D

Diamond
Off Topic: this November California votes on possible permanent daylight saving time. Are any other states considering this? It is being promoted as saving energy and reducing time switch confusion.
Bill D

The USA did have permanent DST during WW2. I believe Britain had double daylight time.
Alaska and Arizona do not do DST.

Off Topic: this November California votes on possible permanent daylight saving time. Are any other states considering this? It is being promoted as saving energy and reducing time switch confusion.
Bill D

Its been talked about by lots of countries the world over, few have ever got past talking though!

Does ANYBODY think daylight savings time is a GOOD idea?

I much prefer day light savings time to winter time.. I'd rather have my daylight at
the end of the day, instead of in the morning.. Dark at 5 sucks.. When I was in elementary
school, we got out at 3:10, my bus dropped me off at home at 3:35, and it was dark about 15 minutes
later.. It SUCKED!!!!!!

Where I live now, the only drawback I see is kids waiting for the school bus.. Elementary schools
here start early, then the mid schools and the high schools later (opposite of how I grew up), but
they are basically standing out in the dark right now as it is.

I like working before sun up, so I'd love day light savings all year round. I like my daylight
at the end of the day, when I can enjoy it.

I cant believe there are still people who have so little to do that they get upset about daylight savings time. I live in a rural farming area, and the farmers like it. But, seriously- most people use their phones to tell time, which automatically adjust so you dont even have to reset them when the time changes.
I do reset the clocks on 3 cars and a couple of older clocks in my house, takes 15 minutes.
Other than that, its a complete non-issue in my life.

Arent ChemTrails scarier that Daylight Savings Time?

Is there something deep in human nature that makes us get up an hour later than we should? Permanent daylight saving time is an insane idea. If folks want a fixed time, then Just keep noon and midnight at 12 o'clock instead of 1 o'clock and have everyone get up at the right time...

I cant believe there are still people who have so little to do that they get upset about daylight savings time. I live in a rural farming area, and the farmers like it. But, seriously- most people use their phones to tell time, which automatically adjust so you dont even have to reset them when the time changes.
I do reset the clocks on 3 cars and a couple of older clocks in my house, takes 15 minutes.
Other than that, its a complete non-issue in my life.

Arent ChemTrails scarier that Daylight Savings Time?

I don't think the complaints are about climbing up to re-adjust clocks
twice a year...More that when they must show up for WORK.

Those of us that must punch a time clock. Self employed/retired just
keep plugging along.

Employers could counteract it, by moving employees start/end times 1 hour forward
in the winter, to negate the "official" time change.

Actually reading the proposition it is not clear what it will do. It just allows the legislature to decide by 2/3 vote what they want to do. They could drop DST completely, keep it the same, go year round or I suppose double it.
Bill

When told the reason for daylight saving time the old Indian said…
‘Only a white man would believe that you could cut a foot off the top of a blanket and sew it to the bottom of a blanket and have a longer blanket.’

The problem is the idea of incremental time.
Once the clock...then the time clock, was invented this sort of misery was destined to happen.
Same for electric lights and air conditioning.

It's not a big deal either way. California's proposition system is both a very real expression of democracy and a system too easily coopted by special interests and wingnuts. By and large most stuff gets voted down. Still, we have done some pretty good things -- via propositions -- that might not otherwise have happened.

This proposition doesn't actually switch us to permanent Daylight Saving time -- it just let's the legislature do so if there are the votes to do it.

Used to be -- back when farming was the #1 profession -- that people wanted natural light early in the morning. Now that industry, office jobs, truckers, sales clerks and the like are the vast majority -- there's some sense to have light later in the day. It could save a bit of energy, maybe make later risers a bit happier to not have dark descending at 5pm.

Not much really changes either way -- the Indian blanket analogy is pretty good.

The whole idea is ridiculous. AM means anti-meridian and PM means post-meridian, the meridian is straight overhead. The times should be left where their meaning defines them. If you want to start work an hour earlier and whoever makes the decisions agrees, then start at 7 AM instead of 8, or whatever time you normally start. Stores can post summer hours or not as they chose.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back