What's new
What's new

OT- Camera drones..requirements for "selfie" pix of your boat in the water ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
OT- Camera drones..requirements for "selfie" pix of your boat in the water ?

Might be more wind to deal with plus the issue of landing it back on the boat and not in the water ! Not to mention ideal photo angle would be with drone just a few feet above the water...can it be done with high end drone and enough experience ?

The drone and the camera are not the limiting factor on the application you mention. The wind is certainly a factor, but is manageable within limits, (maybe 20 knots or less). The key to success is the operator. Piloting any drone requires a short training and registration session before you fly it (Federal law). A competent drone operator should be able to shoot several angles and elevations, and then recover to land or your boat. If you are thinking of doing this yourself, you might consider hiring a local who does work for real estate brokers. Cheaper, with a much higher probability of success. Let us know how it works out. Regards, Clark

There are a few fully water proof drones that can land and take off from the drink, well worth it if your going to play in the wetter places with one. FYi you want a good half dozen packs through it on land first and get use to it. The blades will draw blood, there both toys and not toys from that respect.

To get good pics though you really border line need a drone and separate camera operator with pretty decent camera gear, fly a gopro past 50' up its not going to be identifiable as you in a selfie pic even with a 4K camera.

Legal requirements right now are pretty fluid - changing in most countries, hence you need to stay upto date on the requirements if the boats going outside your coastal limits. Far as i know if you go into international waters you probably don't have to worry about any of the official registration crap.

I only play with racing drones bellow this countries 250g real drone limit!

From what I've seen others do with drones, I would say yes, it can be done. Friend is a certified drone pilot and the tech they pack into them is amazing. GPS on the unit can make it automatically fly home, it can track your movement. There may be rules about operating it from a moving vehicle.

Used DJI phantom 3's are well under $500 and are pretty capable.

The high end one's seem to have more autopilot type capabilities. The cheap toy ones are much more difficult to control.

My experience. At least the "drone" I have, its stupid easy to fly... Its SO EASY
to fly in fact, that its almost not even fun...

Gyros and whatnot so they are incredibly stable.. They hover so you don't have to keep
them above a stall speed... So stable in fact that its not that hard to fly it inside,
and I can even get it down the hall way and around the corner without hitting the walls.

Wind is about the only thing you have to worry about.. And like somebody else said, have
somebody else play with the camera.. Sucks when you look down to play with the camera and
a little gust of wind comes up and all of a sudden you are 200 feet away.

Just last night, on the science channel, they were using a drone to find ship wrecks.. Crystal
clear water.. They would just fly it out and land it on the water, the camera on the bottom
was then underwater and they could see what was going on down there. Crank it up, move over
a few hundred feet and drop her in again.. It was pretty cool...

Might be more wind to deal with plus the issue of landing it back on the boat and not in the water ! Not to mention ideal photo angle would be with drone just a few feet above the water...can it be done with high end drone and enough experience ?

Doesn't really need to be high end. A customer of mine does it quite a bit with a ~$1000 drone/camera unit. Single digit hours of experience is all he really needed.

Granted, mostly on inland lakes, so the wind might be less of a concern, but still very doable.

Moveing is not a issue, even my small drones will more than keep up with anything short of a serious speed boat, sub 40 MPH is not a issue and flight with most drones will still be stable at speed too. Gotta remember the gyro sensors in them are generally the same found in phones and its all playing off the tech used in self stabilising - guided missiles. 2 decades ago and drones as we know them today just did not exist, the battery tech barely had enough oomph to make electric model helicopters air born and the lack of the sensing made things like quads impossible, a human just could not react fast enough to keep it stabilised.

Just bare in mind things like auto home and such won't help you on a moving boat. Theres lots of gotchas with the automation on these things, you really must read the instructions.

Legal requirements right now are pretty fluid - changing in most countries, hence you need to stay upto date on the requirements if the boats going outside your coastal limits. Far as i know if you go into international waters you probably don't have to worry about any of the official registration crap.
Dont get to far inside the Bermuda Triangle for the pics, drone may dissapear and come back home later with some interesting pics;)

It is 100% doable with acouple hours of fun I mean training. I am no professional after seeing views and shots with a good drone I was pulled into it. Federal law is you do not need a license or permits or register with the faa if your not using for commercial use. Some local municipalities have garbage about them. So take it as you want. I have a dj Mavic pro. When released it was the first and best of its kind. It folds up to the size of something you might put it your pocket. YouTube Mavic pro I don't need to type out how amazing it is. Highlights it will circle any point of interest at whatever height and radius you pick hit record and it will fly all by itself so you can sit and watch or wave at it. They run 25 min on a charge. Can fly eight miles away from controller at 30+ mph speed. Wind yes and no if flying over water I would be more cautious with wind. The Mavic is 1,000 bucks and one of the coolest toys I've bought as a adult. Endless uses and fun. 4th of July is some amazing stuff in the city up 300'. They show videos of people taking them up above the cloud line on a nice day pretty cool and who knows about winds when your flying high?

We have played around with them for helping manage starts on sailboat races. A couple of things we discovered. The drone remembers where it launched from and will go back there if it thinks the battery is too low. Chances are the boat has moved and it is now headed back to open water. When it does make it to the boat, it can see it as an obstruction instead of the nice open field it would like for a landing spot and refuse to come close.

Probably cheaper and easier with a buoy or dinghy and a tethered balloon, using a breeze for your offset needs instead of fighting it.

Same camera technology. Stream video until you have what you want.

Not as if it was running out of 35 mm film, after all.

Orange County has changed a lot since John Wayne lived there, but he'd a been proud of this story.

Just a few days ago, I asked a Newport Beach friend why he hadn't sent any drone videos lately. He'd been playing with a $2500 drone and camera and sharing some spectacular oceanfront and yacht scenery. He had to admit his teenage son and friends were flying it around the residential neighborhood, searching for gals sunbathing nude. They found one, hovered a bit too long and too low; the gal's boyfriend shotgunned it to bits.

jack vines

Orange County has changed a lot since John Wayne lived there, but he'd a been proud of this story.

Just a few days ago, I asked a Newport Beach friend why he hadn't sent any drone videos lately. He'd been playing with a $2500 drone and camera and sharing some spectacular oceanfront and yacht scenery. He had to admit his teenage son and friends were flying it around the residential neighborhood, searching for gals sunbathing nude. They found one, hovered a bit too long and too low; the gal's boyfriend shotgunned it to bits.

jack vines

That's a felony...

Check out the videos from the volvo ocean race.

Each boat had a drone that took spectacular footage. Most of the footage would be impossible to get with anything but a drone. I think in one of the videos they talk about what they use.

Most areas you can’t shoot a gun in or near city limits. That’s a felony. People peepin on girls sunbathing they shouldn’t own them and get a life.
The mavic pro has the option of landing where it took off from or land where the controller is. Obviously the remote would be on the boat. Drones are by far the best way to get a unbelievable view point of just about anything.
You buy a 100 dollar one idk but the mavic pro is the well worth the money. My sister just went to niagra falls and sent some still shots of the normal water going over the top. I mentioned she should of brought my drone she could have got pictures from top to bottom fading away or dropping.
You can even purchase insurance through State Farm at least for the drone it’s cheap like 100 a year. Full replacement if lost or unfixable.

On a boating website I frequent, there are a number of people that film themselves on their boats. They seem to get good videos even when the boat is moving pretty fast.

Back