What's new
What's new

OT Camscanning- I want to know!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdmidget

Diamond
Not sure why Barbter's thread was closed but we should stay after this until we get an answer. Tyrants have no business being moderators. One of the great things about this community is the ability to speak freely. Who do we need to ask and how do we reach them?:mad5:

Not sure why Barbter's thread was closed but we should stay after this until we get an answer. Tyrants have no business being moderators. One of the great things about this community is the ability to speak freely. Who do we need to ask and how do we reach them?:mad5:

IMHO barbter has been much more helpful here than our resident troll who (presumptuously*) banned him.

*Silence speaks. :rolleyes5:

Like the German clockmaker said to the cuckoo clock....

"Ve haf vays to make you tock."

Barbter's already spoken with Jessica (Supermod), and it may be that it takes a while to recover all the lost posts from Barbter's account - that may be the cause of the delay.

But the banning itself is cause for concern, and if it was Gordon who did it then there should be a careful re-think about having him moderate. Not a good look to have personal animus drive a banning, a mod has to be above that...

I think the first thread had gotten off track with a bunch of silliness at the end.
Banning with all traces removed should be for Spammers that contributed nothing to the forum.

Banning is one thing - if it's justified. Blanket removal of all posts is bullshit if it's a long-standing member that has in the past contributed good info that is now gone. That's the kind of thing that causes people to decide not to waste the time helping others if there's a possibility that it will all get erased.

I literally got a ban one time at a message board for telling a guy that if he wasn't interested in my post (regarding microscope photography) then he should get lost and not read it. That board has a sort of "be a gentleman" policy, so anything that can even be regarded as insulting can get you in trouble. I got a temp ban and was warned if it happened again it would be permanent. That was the last time I wasted any time contributing there.

Banning is one thing - if it's justified. Blanket removal of all posts is bullshit if it's a long-standing member that has in the past contributed good info that is now gone. That's the kind of thing that causes people to decide not to waste the time helping others if there's a possibility that it will all get erased.

I literally got a ban one time at a message board for telling a guy that if he wasn't interested in my post (regarding microscope photography) then he should get lost and not read it. That board has a sort of "be a gentleman" policy, so anything that can even be regarded as insulting can get you in trouble. I got a temp ban and was warned if it happened again it would be permanent. That was the last time I wasted any time contributing there.

Well, if the policy is evenly enforced. the policy is the policy, what is your problem?

Plenty of places do not allow the, shall we say, free ranging discussion tolerated here, and they are also useful.

If however, you were picked on for something everyone else did all the time, that would be a valid response.

I do not breathlessly follow barbters every post, but he is less annoying and out front confrontational than literally dozens of other posters, so, unless I missed something particularly egregious, I do not understand his ban

Gordon stated no pooping his sandbox, and in that one tiny subforum, he is master. If you expect to go in that subforum and get away with what can be done in 'MIAAE' or 'SMAOI' I think you will be disappointed at the response

Gordon stated no pooping his sandbox, and in that one tiny subforum, he is master. If you expect to go in that subforum and get away with what can be done in 'MIAAE' or 'SMAOI' I think you will be disappointed at the response

If Gordon wants to treat his corner like that, fine. But when he bans someone it's site-wide, which is totally disproportionate and costs us useful posts.

If Gordon wants to treat his corner like that, fine. But when he bans someone it's site-wide, which is totally disproportionate and costs us useful posts.

...and goes in, and deletes many post's from the banned, outside of his area of moderation.

Well, if the policy is evenly enforced. the policy is the policy, what is your problem?

Plenty of places do not allow the, shall we say, free ranging discussion tolerated here, and they are also useful.

If however, you were picked on for something everyone else did all the time, that would be a valid response.

I do not breathlessly follow barbters every post, but he is less annoying and out front confrontational than literally dozens of other posters, so, unless I missed something particularly egregious, I do not understand his ban

The problem is that I'm not going to waste my time providing knowledge and content to a site if I am being threatened with no longer being a member there over some trivial B.S. And my offense was literally saying "Not everyone likes to do this work the same way. If you don't like it then don't read the thread, no one is forcing you to do so."

The problem is that I'm not going to waste my time providing knowledge and content to a site if I am being threatened with no longer being a member there over some trivial B.S. And my offense was literally saying "Not everyone likes to do this work the same way. If you don't like it then don't read the thread, no one is forcing you to do so."

Shop Floor Talk was started because just such moderation problems over at millerwelds.com

It's much less professional oriented, but if a bunch of you sign up, and contribute there, you would raise the collective knowledge.
And ShadeTreeWelder (the owner) is much less heavy handed.

Since this is at least the 2nd time that someone's account has been purged, with no notice given, I would like to know what the heck is going on. We have been assuming that a particular subforum moderator did this, but most banned accounts (e.g., spammeres) are not totally purged from the database as in these examples. So it's not clear to me that a subforum moderator even has the privileges needed to flush the database of all records linked to a user.

Question 1: Were these deliberate acts, or database malfunction?
Question 2: If deliberate acts, why was the perpetrator gifted with the privileges needed to carry out the deed?
Question 3: What actions, if any, are being taken to prevent this from happening again?

I am assuming that forum-wide, no-notice, obliteration of all contributed technical content from a member of long-standing is not acceptable to either forum users or the forum management. If that's not the case, I'd like to hear a response to that, too.

Look, obviously I think it is stupid too, but it is the rules, so, you know, follow the rules.

...and goes in, and deletes many post's from the banned, outside of his area of moderation.

I just have a hard time believing that this is actually what happened.

I do not agree or disagree with Gordon's moderation choices, they are what they are, but if a subforum moderator can do such a thing, it really is bad software, more even than a 'bad' moderator.

I do not agree or disagree with Gordon's moderation choices, they are what they are, but if a subforum moderator can do such a thing, it really is bad software, more even than a 'bad' moderator.

If I remember correctly from the Camscan saga, it is the software - when a mod bans a person (even a "small-time" mod) the software seems to allow site-wide removal of the banned person's postings.

I don't know if that's an extra step beyond the "banning" action, but if it is it's just malicious in this case - there was no good reason to do it.

A number of years ago, I created a politically related thread that I thought was insightful, but not machining related. It disappeared. I thought I'd screwed up somewhere and recreated the thread.

I got a PM from Don about 'your thread that refuses to die' telling me why it had been deleted and warning me that if I continued that way I could be banned.

Note:- there was a warning. That thread/post was deleted but nothing else was.

That's what I would expect from a tightly run forum.

If a database issue is causing deletion of users and all their posts, that's a major defect, but could still be resolved with a restore.

If a moderator is causing the deletion of users and all their posts, without any form of warning, that's the death knell of the forum.

Look, obviously I think it is stupid too, but it is the rules, so, you know, follow the rules.

Kind of hard to follow ambiguous rules like "be civil" when there are no clear definitions. As far as I was concerned, I was being civil. Ordinarily I'd have told the guy to go eat a shit sandwich. Anyway, I solved the problem in a different way, just stopped making any real effort at producing content at that site. Problem solved.

Banning is one thing - if it's justified. Blanket removal of all posts is bullshit if it's a long-standing member that has in the past contributed good info that is now gone.

Dunno if "good info" applies, as I've not figured out what was in 17,000 or 18,000 posts of mine that were vanished right about the same time barbter was "liquidated".

Does PM admin ever bring any of them back?

None so far for the others prior to this latest.

So my identity didn't disappear.

Just 60% of the posts.

Including 100% of ALL the threads I had initiated.

Right about the time I smacked Gordo's fingers for something extra stupid he had done.

He locked that thread.

And then the current problem arrived.

Coincidence, is that?

Strange one, if so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back