What's new
What's new

Forming or solder on barbs for 1/4" copper line?

Maxim

Stainless
I'm fixing this ,shall we say thing, and I have a bunch of 1/4 copper lines that they just stuck some soft host on the end with
a hose clamp.

I'd like to add some barbs but I don't want to deal with the expense of a thousand swagelok to barb connectors.

I've seen some little solder on barbs for 1/8 RC fuel line and I've think I've seen some formed ends on cars.

I'd like to add something like that.

Its just cooling water at maybe 20 psi, so nothing exotic.

Was wondering if there is a simple, inexpensive and compact means to do this?

I'm fixing this ,shall we say thing, and I have a bunch of 1/4 copper lines that they just stuck some soft host on the end with
a hose clamp.

I'd like to add some barbs but I don't want to deal with the expense of a thousand swagelok to barb connectors.

I've seen some little solder on barbs for 1/8 RC fuel line and I've think I've seen some formed ends on cars.

I'd like to add something like that.

Its just cooling water at maybe 20 psi, so nothing exotic.

Was wondering if there is a simple, inexpensive and compact means to do this?

I've soldered on some brass ferrules meant for compression fittings to do that. If you only need them on one end you can crimp them on with a compression fitting pair and then slide the fitting off the other end.

McMaster sells the brass ferrules, as do many other places.

I've soldered on some brass ferrules meant for compression fittings to do that. If you only need them on one end you can crimp them on with a compression fitting pair and then slide the fitting off the other end.

McMaster sells the brass ferrules, as do many other places.

Why didn't I think of that? I only have a million of them laying around.

Limeysam, yes like that but those are like $2 each on amazon

If you just want to make double triple quadruple sure the hose doesn't slide off,
go get a cheap POS flare tool at the chinese orange store or AutoZone and flare
the ends a tiny bit.

Actually, if you have a double-flaring tool just stop the first operation a bit early and you have a nice nub (with no sharp edges) to keep the clamped hose from sliding off. I use it quite a bit on copper and steel with pressures up to 120psi.

Back