What's new
What's new

OT - Can an 'unlocked' Iphone really be used across networks?

GregSY

Diamond
I've done a lot of Googling and still don't find a clear answer.

Let's say you have an Iphone that is originally GSM (AT&T) enabled but also CDMA (Verizon) capability. This is per the description created by Apple based on the serial # of the phone. The phone is 'factory unlocked' and is a Model A-1687.

Can the phone work properly on a Verizon network? I've read that it will work but some people (without giving any supporting reasons) say it will work but 'may not function at 100%'.

I'm asking because I have an AT&T phone in my sights but want to use it on a Verizon network.

Verizon is rapidly phasing out CDMA for GSM. Why do you want to be on CDMA?

Actually Verizon is migrating to LTE. I just retired my CDMA phone in favor of an LTE one due to issues with text and internet. AFAIK you can still do CDMA for voice on Verizon but for data performance can be iffy at times on CDMA.

It doesn't matter is Verizon is phasing out CDMA...I'm not buying a phone with CDMA for any reason other than Verizon uses it. I need a phone that is compatible with whatever they use. And the Iphone shows to be compatible with LTE as well.

But, regardless of whether it is CDMA or LTE, the question is the same - will a phone that began life as an ATT GSM phone work properly on a Verizon system...the key word being 'properly'. In other words, is there "kinda" CDMA compatible and "truly" CDMA compatible?

Back