What's new
What's new

OT/ Can you auto backup only certain folders in Windows?

Is there a way to backup only certain folders and files (and save them locally) on a daily basis?

Maybe software like these?
The Best Backup Software of 2�18 | PCMag.com

Right now I just save what I need to a separate SSD when I remember to.

i use syncback and you can setup to do whatever you want. i have it backup only files that have changes so normally takes about 1 minute.
remember with backup software if you have filename23 thats 100mb and you have 1000 pages in it and worked on it 10 years if you create a new blank file called filename23 and run backup software it will overwrite the backed up file copy with the new blank one.
if you use a folder with a 1000 files in it called folder2018May11 and you rename it folder2018May12 it will create a backup of folder with new folder name. you will still have old folder with the old folder name
i run backup daily at end of shift but you can schedule automatic run. anything critical you have 3 backup copies on 3 separate devices. in case computer crashes and everything is lost on it
obviously Windows System Restore has file backup ability automatically done and i have seen Windows computers setup with right click any file or folder and it asks if you want to restore previous versions. this setup by IT department and basically commonly ask for can i get a file deleted back is possible cause you can restore the folder the file was in. just saying you can ask whoever in charge of your computer network if this setup can be done too.
file deletion by others is a problem in some places. sometimes its a accident and other times hard to say the reason. either way best to have backups

Last edited:
Another goodie is removing the file from the source, upon which the backup may remove it from the copy as well, to keep them "in synch".

You can, with some programs, set it to NEVER delete a file just because the original source no longer has it.

the good ones have both "Synchronize", and "Contribute". The "Synchronize" will delete files to make the backup and source identical, the "Contribute" does not, it only writes a copy, or does not write a copy.

But that is NOT THE SAME AS having a new version of the file that over-writes the old. THAT will happen with any, if you do not increment versions, and/or change names. It's just the way they work, they are really bad at mind-reading.

Sometimes it is a good idea to do a periodic disk image, dated, that way if you need to get back before some date when something bad happened, you can do it..... get everything back as it was.

I do not like automatic backups, I prefer to start them myself.

I use Acronis and like it. I have it set to automatically make C:/ images on another drive on most of our PCs. I have to delete a few images about once a month to free up space.

I also use a few Clickfree drives to back up data and store them away, but clickfree is gone now. I think Seagate makes a competitive product.

I use Acronis and like it. I have it set to automatically make C:/ images on another drive on most of our PCs. I have to delete a few images about once a month to free up space.

I also use a few Clickfree drives to back up data and store them away, but clickfree is gone now. I think Seagate makes a competitive product.

I just downloaded the Acronis trial version. haven't had time to mess with it yet.

Use a cloud storage service like DropBox or Google Drive. They synch whenever you make changes, plus have the advantage of off-site backup storage. Then do another type of backup of those same files. As long as your backup is in 2 locations, you'll never need either one.

Not often (might be the first time) that I agree with Tom, Syncback is a pretty solid backup software for windows. The free version is more than adequate for the vast majority, sufficiently so that I have a hard time recommending anyone spend any money on backup software. Acute control over compare, destination file deletion/syncing, directory selection/skipping. Full automation and email feedback. Hard to beat tbh

syncback i use free version. it does not delete any of the backed up files. if you go to portableapps website they got plenty that cost nothing and do not need to be installed they just run. that is if you are knowledgeable enough to be able to figure out the file to click on. if you cannot figure it out you got bigger problems
i learned a long time ago when doing cad use
filename2018May11a
make change then filename2018May11b etc etc
in the old days computers often crashed working on a cad cam file all day i learned a long time ago make a save as and have a version every hour or sooner apart. even if something happened i had a another file at most from a hour ago previous. if you got a 256gb usb flash drive it would be hard to use it all under normal work.
now a days there is ransom ware virus. it comes from internet and password protects your computer and asks for money to unlock your computer. obviously if you dont have backups on multiple devices you would hesitate on doing a full format of harddrive and reloading your operating system. you might be surprised at number of people who have critical files only on one computer and are vulnerable to any little computer problem

hey bud, I'm not able to help but I have a quick question! How do I start a thread on this site? I have a username and all that. I would greatly appreciate your help! I have a question about an angle head that I just purchased and I would like to create a thread to see if anyone will be willing to help!
THANKS!!

I use a program called Bvckup 2. Works great. I have it setup to back up certain files to an internal server and other non critical setting files to my dropbox at the same time. It wasn't expensive and does a good job.
Bvckup 2 | Simple fast backup $40 for 1 license

Millingmaster: if you haven't stumbled across the answer yet, when you log in and go to a
forum, at the top L of the page is a box: [Post new thread] just above the forum title.
click on box and it will open a new thread for you. Advise a good title, read the post
about titles and content of threads before posting and be aware you can't edit titles but
you can edit text of post.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...inform-what-your-topic-actually-about-307648/

and the really sticky one about content: http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/machinery-discussion-guidelines-137724/

Back