What's new
What's new

OT; cement brass to deer antler for a tobaco pipe

i_r_machinist

Titanium
Making a deer antler tobacco pipe with a filter. I want to cement this piece of brass into the tip for a filter holder.
Anyone have experience in this application? JB weld just doesn't seem right.
Thanks
i_r_machinist
pipe.JPG

I'd use JB Weld just making sure none of it oozed into the ID of your marital aid, I mean tobacco-smoking pipe.

FWIW

I've tapped threads in cow horn with no problem (use coarse series) and they held - exceeding both my and the customers expectations!!, .never tried deer antler though.

Epoxy will do the trick. The rougher the surface the better for reinforcement of the mechanical component of the bond, but even a normal lathe-turned finish will be enough to keep the pieces from pulling apart. I would score it lightly longitudinally, as well, but it does not take much. All of this is just insurance, though, as the chemical bond will likely be sufficient.

just be carefull with epoxy glue if its exposed. it turns yellow. there are transparent varieties, no idea if they can be trusted.

The brass piece will be threaded into a brass bushing in the other piece. I figured to oversize the bores in the horn to allow for the cement to let me align the od and surface pattern.

The tar and whatever other residues inside the pipe will eventually spill into the thread and might give you disassembly problems.

JB Weld works for me once in a while. Usually it doesn't hold and I use one of the epoxies on my shelf.

I would try a sliding fit.It's easy to remove and it will not be a problem unless your draw is like a vacuum pump.

"Tobacco pipe", uh huh:)

I wouldn't want to be inhaling any off gassing of epoxy or JB weld or anything like that, especially if you're putting heat to it.

Yeah seriously thread the antler and brass and screw together. It’s chemical free and a SOLID fit. Antler is some STRONG shit, ever seen what the animal it came off of does with it!?

If your worried about it unthreading then either Teflon tape or “resin” the threads. Dig deep in your old pipe and gunk the threads

Back