What's new
What's new

OT: chainsaw clutch slipping

Bill D

Diamond
Off Topic: I have a Husqvarna 316 electric chainsaw. it has a simple slip clutch that is failing. Two metal disks clamped together with a center bolt and some bellville washers. There is no friction material and they contact only in a thin ring. They have worn a little bit. How much should they wear before failure? it is only enough that I can see they have worn not really measure it since one is a cup similar to what a centrifugal clutch would use. For all I know there is supposed to be a sheet of friction material between the two. The previous owner removed the band brake and may have messed with the slip clutch.
It is only supposed to slip if the chain binds. It is not a centrifugal clutch.
Bill D.

I found this diagram looks like it may be missing the washer between the gear and the clutch stack. That would explain why I can not tighten it up enough to stop the slipping. I did flip one washer so the stack got thicker saw worked fine for about 20 light cuts then it slipped a few times and the chain will no longer turn under power
Husqvarna 316 - Husqvarna Electric Chainsaw (23-8) Clutch / Spur Diagram and Parts List | PartsTree.com

Last edited:
Call a dealer and get a parts manual. Anything else is a guess. If the brake has been removed, what's the point of the clutch anyway? It's electric after all.

Get a parts book.

FYI it's a slip overload clutch and not a normal chainsaw centrifugal

I've run one for over 20 years on firewood, bloody good tool, but the biggest problem is chain oil gets on the clutch ''friction'' faces which causes it to slip - get hot and take the temper out of the bellevilles, and build up a glaze of burnt oil on the drive surface which causes the clutch to slip more etc etc

My advice would be to strip it out, clean it, if it looks at all dodgy replace it including the bellevilles and store the saw so the oil doesn't run on to the clutch

If you do get oil on the clutch, lock the chain brake and run it for a few seconds to burn the clutch clean BUT NO MORE or you will heat up the bellevilles.

FWIW Over 20 years and God knows how many ton of firewood plus other abuse I've replaced the clutch once.

Parts are usually pretty cheap for chainsaws. Go to Bailey's site and search for your problem. Common Problem. If it can't be adjusted, just get a new one. I would try to adjust it first. If I remember correctly the nut adjusts the tension. The Bailey site should be able to describe that, and if not, call one of their techs. They have great service, good people to deal with. Most likely it an be adjusted, and they can help you either on the web or phone.

The faces did have burned oil on them which I cleaned off with solvent. They do not look burned or blue. I think I will replace the belville washers if I can figure out where to get them and take it apart again and search to see if that washer is there or not.
Bill D.

Back