What's new
What's new

OT Cleaning Tool Box and garage

DMF_TomB

Diamond
had a job where a lot of personal tool boxes at work and brought home (latest job of 7 years no personal tool boxes allowed or needed) plus tool boxes already in garage. garage so full hard to walk through garage with all the stuff in the way.
getting ready to move to new house and going to junk yard or giving way to neighbors.
as you get older you accumulate stuff and its almost painful to throw out stuff just cause you dont use and or need any more, after 7 years whats the point of keeping unused stuff. worse is special made tools custom made for previous jobs and very advanced machining to make and use and it all goes to junk yard. worse is old job company went bankrupt and building was demolished nobody left that would even need it.
kind of sucks getting older and having to throw out stuff. its easy to become a hoarder. hard to describe.

First: Chit Chat, No question asked, this'll probably be locked soon.

Second: Your infamous picture of the drill through the CRT showed up on facebook the other day, posted to CNC Machinists, and cross posted from there to the Machinist facebook page.

Third: If you're seriously going to scrap tools that are in good working condition, PM me what you've got, and I'll make offers, including shipping.

I'm relatively new to this (7.5 years in), and my employer has bought all my tools since day one... I have no personal tools. I would like to have personal tools, even if I can't use them at work. So I'll happily buy good condition hand me downs for fair prices.

I am somewhat of a hoarder myself but at least I have a fair amount of storage space and I'm not having to move. My affliction is "too good to useitis". Say I have to replace a missing or damaged bolt on a lawn mower or something. I have a huge stock of SS nuts and bolts but end up saying to myself that SS is too good to use in this application. I have started to realize that at my age, they are probably going to have to backfill my grave with all the really good stuff that I am too stubborn to use. Where my son works they have Vidmar cabinets full of every imaginable fastener from monel to SS. When the drawers get trashed, they dump them all in the dumpster and have someone come in and restock to the tune of many thousands of dollars. Stupid but it's not his call. He brings home five gallon buckets full of fasteners which I am happy to straighten out.

had a job where a lot of personal tool boxes at work and brought home (latest job of 7 years no personal tool boxes allowed or needed) plus tool boxes already in garage. garage so full hard to walk through garage with all the stuff in the way.
getting ready to move to new house and going to junk yard or giving way to neighbors.
as you get older you accumulate stuff and its almost painful to throw out stuff just cause you dont use and or need any more, after 7 years whats the point of keeping unused stuff. worse is special made tools custom made for previous jobs and very advanced machining to make and use and it all goes to junk yard. worse is old job company went bankrupt and building was demolished nobody left that would even need it.
kind of sucks getting older and having to throw out stuff. its easy to become a hoarder. hard to describe.

I don't even understand.... LoL :o

Yes it does suck getting older. When I moved out of state I "left behind" an entire garage full of tools, but they went to my stepdaughter so not a complete loss.

Like teach said, before you just scrap everything, you are a known member here, might as well try and sell some stuff... :cool:

Tom, I think I remember seeing that you are in the Rochester, NY area. There's a used tool store in Fairport Village Landing that takes donations of unwanted tools and sells them to benefit charity. The store has donated over $600,000 over the last 10 years to an organization that helps seniors stay in their homes.

The volunteers that run the store will come and pick up items that are being donated so that you don't even have to haul them yourself. Anything that can be called a tool, except for petroleum fueled items, are accepted. Machinist tools fly out the door. It's a wonderful way to keep tools out of the landfill. It is a registered charity, so donations are eligible for tax deductions

You can leave a message at 585-223-0484 if you want to arrange a pickup or come visit the store. Hours are on the website at ToolThriftShop.org

Back