What's new
What's new

OT: A clever dodge to acquire an U/S cleaner for the shop

Forrest Addy

Diamond
Recent researches in the culinary world led me to a cooking method called "sous vide." It's a method of cooking by pouching the food and immersing it in water whose temperature is closely controlled. The food item is thus cooked to a precise temperature arriving at a prefect state of "done-ness." My few sampling of sous vide cooking were delicious, moist and perfectly prepared. One might think meat would look boiled, flabby, and unappetizing and that is true of the serving right out of the bag. However post processing sear over a grill or in a hot skillet produces the delicious browning so prized by us human type carnivores.

It's all the rage among the foodies and the cooking gear people are designing and making all sorts of expensive cooking gadgets to make a simple process complicated. Google "sous vide" and be amazed at the offerings and their expense and splendor.

All that is background.

Those of you who've lusted for an ultrasonic cleaner for any reason can find justification in that a heated ultrasonic cleaner can be made to double as a sous vide cooker. Just don't turn on the U/S transducer. It has the closely controlled heated bath and if of sufficient size has the tank volume to accept a roast or a chicken. All that remains is to sell SWMBO on the idea that an ultrasonic cleaner could be the start of a whole new adventure in cooking.

And you'll have a handy gadget to clean gun parts, bike cylinder heads, fishing tackle, etc.

If you can sell the idea.

How do you use it for cleaning purposes? My wife would not tolerate it. Hell, I can't even bake stuff in the oven unless it is edible and I barely get to use the freezer to help shrink fit plastic parts.

I was thinking of buying some online cheap transducers and driver boards and mounting them on the workshop sink under the bench out of sight. It's a large deep stainless laundry sink and would make an ideal large ultrasound.

Well, i got away with washing some ice cube trays that I use for small parts storage in the dishwasher. I did wipe the roach eggs out of them first. But I don't have the stones to even ask about engine parts.

I do hope to get a U/S cleaner sometime, when I can find a space for it.

Yeah, my wife won't even let me use the dishwasher on engine parts!

Mom was cranky when she came home and I was boiling pistons...
It would have been ok if I hadn’t used her good pots.

Not even going to think about it with the wife!

Too G.D. funny. I actually did cook sous vide in my heated U/S tank for a while. Makes for some unbelievably delicious steak after a quick pan sear.

all wrong.. it's SOU-EEE . thats what we call pig gravy in these parts.

it goes great on biscuits , bacon , fat-back, cracklins' , country-ham,
city-ham (cold cuts), and just about any greens and cornbread + tea .

i'll never touch that shit- i'm not a vegetarian, but i don't shit where i eat.

and i hate that country-diner colon-block menu .

Been on the sous vide kick for a couple of years now. Not only great tasting, but great timing flexibility too. Now dinner can be 'whenever' because an extra 45 minutes cooking doesn't hurt anything.

Still in search of the perfect sear, of course. Can't seem to get enough BTUs out of my little grill, or the JennAir, for that matter. Trying out the torch diffuser, with some good results. Tempted to break out the acetylene to see if that's any hotter... Don't want the food to taste like the fuel.

I've reached a state of mental awareness in my life that I really think 'pleasure' should only come from a few select sources. Food is not one of them. It can only lead to wasted time, fat, poor health, and a lighter wallet. I want food that is 'good' and that's enough.

Drugs and alcohol are among the worst forms of pleasure one can pursue.

'Entertainment' (movies and concerts in particular), shopping, and video games are lesser, but still poor, sources of pleasure.

Pleasure should come from screwing, kids, (but not screwing kids), and perhaps a well tuned engine. A mill and lathe and bandsaw are also critical. Other good sources of pleasure are moderate exercise, silence, insulation (from hot, cold, and people), and a good gun of your liking.

A lot of guys have been concerned about the significant other finding swarf in her sous vide poached chicken. Aren't you at all concerned with find chicken breast meat in the U/S cleaner?

Back