What's new
What's new

OT: Covid-19 Confusion

atomarc

Diamond
I'm not going to wade into the other thread on this subject as it's about a million pages long and has turned into a political shit-show.

My question is this..how can folks think about opening up, going to bars and movies and the beach when absolutely nothing has changed in regards to the Covid-19 and its spread.

Why, all of a sudden is it OK to break the social distancing and the masks, etc..nothing has changed..no vaccine, no nuttin!!

I'm an old fart and I'm sticking close to home..am I missing something?

If nothing has changed, then nothing has changed, right!

And I don't give a shit about conspiracy theory's or political shit..so leave it out, please.

Nervous-Stuart

There is a joke circulating about the Wuhan pneumonia....

but, you probably won't get it.

Exactly. It's a virus, you know how it works. Just stay away from people until it blows through. It's obviously not going to be controlled in the larger environment around you. If it takes a year, that's still better than being dead.

If you need to, and I don't know if US doctors will do this, but the Sabin polio vaccine gives you about a month of immunity. Just keep that in mind ...

I'm not going to wade into the other thread on this subject as it's about a million pages long and has turned into a political shit-show.

My question is this..how can folks think about opening up, going to bars and movies and the beach when absolutely nothing has changed in regards to the Covid-19 and its spread.

Why, all of a sudden is it OK to break the social distancing and the masks, etc..nothing has changed..no vaccine, no nuttin!!

And I don't give a shit about conspiracy theory's or political shit..so leave it out, please.

Nervous-Stuart

nope you didn't miss a thing other then denial

Nervous-Stuart

Nothing at all Stuart. you've hit the nail on the head mate..

Nervous-Sami

Everything is exactly as it was. Same rules, people just don't want to follow them anymore. I am trying everything to keep my parents (dad turned 80 last week) from going crazy staying indoors. I can only imagine what the 20 somethings must be feeling. Death is very abstract at that age. My guess is as soon as they said it was ok everyone forgot everything and assumed it was over.

Largest group getting sick now is 25-35 they apparently went right into summer party mode. Sadly this will just extend it a bit more. My guess is it will be the same thing until the vaccine hits year end or so. Sucks but it is what it is. Dying by suffocation sounds horrible.

My buddy moved to Texas to follow his company on May 9. Everyone was fine. Texas opened up and some of the 20 somethings in the warehouse went partying. They are up to half a dozen confirmed COVID positive as of Wednesday. No clue what it's at now. He said the bar across from the apartments they are staying in in Dallas until they can find permanent places is packed and no one is wearing masks. He is just keeping his head down.

It's the same in the UK. People, encouraged in my opinion by people in authority who should know better, seem to think it's over when obviously it's nowhere near over.

I'm in the nervous club but unfortunately Mrs Shoelaces isn't. There is a brand of thinking in her family that thinks they'll live forever. For instance her father went into hospital in Spain for serious heart surgrry at the age of 85 and thought he didn't need to leave a will. It took us the best part of 3 years to sort out his financial affairs in the USA, UK and Spain.

So she's got us both booked on a flight to Spain in the middle of July.

Regards Tyrone.

It's the same in the UK. People, encouraged in my opinion by people in authority who should know better, seem to think it's over when obviously it's nowhere near over.

I'm in the nervous club but unfortunately Mrs Shoelaces isn't. There is a brand of thinking in her family that thinks they'll live forever. For instance her father went into hospital in Spain for serious heart surgrry at the age of 85 and thought he didn't need to leave a will. It took us the best part of 3 years to sort out his financial affairs in the USA, UK and Spain.

Regards Tyrone.

Your late father in law dying intestate reminds me of an old guy I knew - he wasn't going to make a will - not never not no how etc etc ….reckoned it was tantamount to signing his own death certificate, ……...and his family could not get him to change his mind,

Long cut short his daughter and son in law were telling me about their latest attempt at getting him to do a will (and failing) when it came to me - I knew he hated solicitors and lawyers, ..thought they were nothing more than parasites etc etc, ……...so I suggested she try asking the old boy if he'd any idea of just how much of his (lets say ''healthy'') estate would go in to a lawyers pocket sorting out ''the mess'' if he were to die without a will.

The following evening I got a phone call from a very relieved daughter, it worked a treat, she ''floated the idea'' at breakfast, …….and they were in a lawyers office that afternoon!

I think this virus is a great way to improve the gene pool. There are far too many people in the world. The virus helps. It even filters out the stupid first. Don't be stupid.

Your late father in law dying intestate reminds me of an old guy I knew - he wasn't going to make a will - not never not no how etc etc ….reckoned it was tantamount to signing his own death certificate, ……...and his family could not get him to change his mind,

Long cut short his daughter and son in law were telling me about their latest attempt at getting him to do a will (and failing) when it came to me - I knew he hated solicitors and lawyers, ..thought they were nothing more than parasites etc etc, ……...so I suggested she try asking the old boy if he'd any idea of just how much of his (lets say ''healthy'') estate would go in to a lawyers pocket sorting out ''the mess'' if he were to die without a will.

The following evening I got a phone call from a very relieved daughter, it worked a treat, she ''floated the idea'' at breakfast, …….and they were in a lawyers office that afternoon!

Yes, sorting out his financial affairs in Spain took years and cost us roughly half of what he had in the bank there. My wife, who was dealing with the issue, nearly gave up the struggle on several occasions. Being a thrifty Scot my late father in law would have been furious at the thought of the abogado's pocketing his money ! The authorities in the US were very helpful as were the authorities in the UK. It was Spain where we had all the problems

Regards Tyrone.

Here we are supposed to be social distancing and wearing face coverings in public gatherings. People are chosing not to do so. I'm waiting for the numbers to start trending up again (unfortunately). At work we are required to wear gloves and masks while on company property or face strict disciplinary action. We also have thermal scans at every entrance door so every time you go outside and come back you must get scanned...bit of a pain when going from building to building lol but it's working.

Nervous-Stuart

Income. (10chars)

With masks and social distancing, you greatly reduce your likelihood of infection. So do that.

Yes, those that ignore these rules are strong candidates for transmitting the disease, increasing disease prevalence, and for prolonging the restrictions (til we get an effective vaccine). Avoid these people. Unfortunately, the people most likely to ignore restrictions (the young) won't typically get hit as hard. So, they'll propagate the disease, kill their grandparents and/or parents, but will get off with symptoms of a mild flu and cough. The tragedy of the commons. Sigh.

Regards Tyrone.

Agree, its nowhere near over. Saw a picture of the beach at Bournemouth last week. Crowded as hell. No masks. Horrifying. And even more troubling is that we have people doing that stupid s**t here, too

Tyrone, your note about wills allows me to make a public service announcement. When my Mom and Stepfather passed a couple years ago, they had worked hard to have their affairs in order. For the most part, they did. But it was still hard to get things done. Some people have to break the law (writing checks on the deceased's bank account, for example) to pay bills and such. We avoided a lot of hassles, but still there were needless expenses and roadblocks.

We just had our wills redone and one key element was to put all our personal assets (house, bank accounts, and non-qualified (e.g non-IRA) investments) into a personal revocable trust that we own. If Mrs bosleyjr and I both bite the Covid bullet, our assets would be in a trust controlled by our heir. This means that he'd be able to pay bills, etc. but no personal liability would be created for him. The lawyers that did this are in Delaware, which has some favorable laws regarding this sort of thing. We live in Pennsylvania, but visiting the lawyer in Delaware (20 minute drive) created enough of a nexus to allow the wills to be drawn up as Delaware wills. The lawyers that did it are a father-son team. The father developed this method over many years and now his son is applying and further developing it. They explained things in a way that made it clear that they do ok by doing good rather than by stealing from the heirs of the recently departed.

The counterexample was the will drawn up by a lawyer for a relative. When that relative passed, all the assets (about $340,000) ended up going through a bank, and the bank took a bite and hired a lawyer to handle all the paperwork. Total cost? $40,000. Oh, and guess which lawyer the bank hired to do that paperwork? Yup, the guy that drew up the will. So there's wills and there's wills. We feel that our setup (which costed about 2000 bucks to set up) will probably save our heir a lot of hassle and stress, not to mention reducing the legal fees and bank charges to near zero. Just sayin.

So the PSA is that if you live in the US, to get your will done, and search out a guy or gal that will set you up with a revocable trust, and put your non-qualified assets in that trust. If the lawyer starts hemming and hawing saying that joint trusts arent' a great idea, IMHO you should get a new lawyer.

Not sure how this would work in the UK.

Income. (10chars)

thats a big part of it. Its economic output that gives us the lifestyle we have. Personally I think the idea of living in a country with a sub-Saharan-ish economy is pretty scary.

Not getting sick wasn't so much the intent of the restrictions as it was to 'make sure emerg and critical care wasn't overwhelmed. At higher risk, I think its a good person choice to reduce risk so agree with you that it makes sense to lay low and for sure keep up the social distancing, hand washing, etc

I'm not one the nut bars who thinks it nothing, it clearly it is and I more or less support what gov did. They could have done a lot more - for example our idiot chief medical officer choose early not not recommend isolating people returning from hot spots because she didn't want to stigmatize anyone. (wtf is a medical officer doing choosing feelings over the lives of Canadians?).

Anyway, point is I support the restrictions, but at some point you have to get on with it else the red death will be worse (the red death is what I call the pending economic disaster....play on red ink and the black death)

I am not following it real close, but to me I agree that nothing has changed. I think the so called experts just keep throwing crap on the walls to see what sticks, so far not much seems to make a difference. It doesn't appear all the shuttering of businesses and gatherings has slowed the spread much, neither has wearing masks. It seems like the powers to be are baffled by the virus and change their mind what to do every time the wind blows a different direction.

Back