What's new
What's new

OT covid 19 detection in air conditioning condesation?

FredC

Diamond
Finally got my tooth repaired at the dentist and had a short discussion about prevention in the dentist's office. Before he finished my chair got turned towards the window and saw water dripping from a pipe out the window. Had to be condensation from the AC. Light bulb moment.
Cholera can be detected in one person in a city of 1 million population by testing the sewage at preset intervals. Experiments are being run to detect Covid 19 the same way. Seems like testing AC condensation for air born transmitted diseases would be the cat's meow. One test at the end of the day in hospitals, dentists offices, grocery stores and etc. would give you a lot of information. Seems like the data data collected could be used for patient tracking and risk could be assessed frequently.
Lot of smart people on this forum, what do you think?

Finally got my tooth repaired at the dentist and had a short discussion about prevention in the dentist's office. Before he finished my chair got turned towards the window and saw water dripping from a pipe out the window. Had to be condensation from the AC. Light bulb moment.
Cholera can be detected in one person in a city of 1 million population by testing the sewage at preset intervals. Experiments are being run to detect Covid 19 the same way. Seems like testing AC condensation for air born transmitted diseases would be the cat's meow. One test at the end of the day in hospitals, dentists offices, grocery stores and etc. would give you a lot of information. Seems like the data data collected could be used for patient tracking and risk could be assessed frequently.
Lot of smart people on this forum, what do you think?

I think the condensing process will kill the covid….but if it's still detectable (even if dead), I say go for it.

The condensation will attract and possibly kill COVID-19.

This thread will attract the mobsters from Mfg. in A&E subforum......wait for it. :rolleyes5:

Here(Netherlands) it is beeing done
Checking for RNA?? tracks in the sewer system
They detected prove of covid 19 in specific sewer systems days before the first patient reported himself

Peter

So you test the condensate from a grocery store and that tells you what? That some unknown person in the store was infected? We already know there are large numbers of asymptomatic or nearly so people wandering around with no masks. We already know that one of the reasons the numbers of infected is going up is that we are doing more testing. My wife was on an airplane shortly before things started shutting down. Got tested positive for the antibodies. I had some minor tightness in the chest shortly after that so I’m sure I’ve had it.

So what is the purpose for AC condensate testing?

They are tracing Covid 19 in wastewater because it gives an indication of infection rates even when no other testing is being done. This gives an early warning so steps can be taken before it gets really bad.

In watching the news and the coworkers at our plant I am really worried that we are going to get a really big flareup of the virus. Everyone has started getting totally careless about distancing and mask use. Not me, I am religiously wearing an N95, sterilizing it with UV and washing hands and face frequently.

Remember when someone said we would be doing a good job if it only got to 100,000? Well I see we passed 112,000 so I guess we are not doing a good job are we?

They are tracing Covid 19 in wastewater because it gives an indication of infection rates even when no other testing is being done. This gives an early warning so steps can be taken before it gets really bad.
You got the idea. Does not tell you who, but an indication before things go to far south. Could tell you what day in infected person was in a grocery store. Should be cheap and easy.

I see how misspelling happens in the title. You proof the text to make sure it sort of says what you meant and the spelling is not too bad and you forget to do that on the title. Whoops!

Here we have three(3) persons in intensive care (out of population of ~6million) and I am on a cruise ship on the way to Estonia for weekend holiday.

Self-medicating with gin tonic, I can already feel the side effects. Might need still couple more just to be sure. :D

It's a good idea, certainly, esp dentist office. If someone comes in who's positive, they're more likely to be exposed than say, a clerk at a 7-11.

Don't have much experience with AC, but don't window air conditioners cool outside air and blow it indoors? Seems like testing the condensate would be testing the outside air.

Maybe I'm missing something...

Air conditioners work by recirculating inside air. The condensation comes from cooling the air inside, not outside.
It's an RNA virus, i wonder what sort of equipment you need to detect it?

Detection in sewage is a valuable gauge not only of covid-19 but also other organisms in a region. Condensate testing on the other hand is probably less reliable.

The sewage testing is not for contact tracing but to give a general idea of disease presence within a community so resources can be allocated where needed. The reason it is so valuable is because when virus particles are shed in fecal matter it is proof that the particular virus was in their system vs just being present in the environment.

Back