What's new
What's new

OT- Cracked windshield on forklift cab question....

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
This on a 2013 Hyundai 70D forklift.... looks annoying in pic but sitting in cab hardly notice it...on either side of glass "feels" smooth like no cracks at all....but obviously it's cracked pretty bad. Wondering if safe to just leave it as is or will shards of glass fall in my lap someday ? :willy_nilly:

(new windshield is $2,100 plus lord know how much to install it...or who could install it for that matter...)

IMG_5833.jpg

Very unlikely it will fall in on you. It's laminated glass, so its probably only broken on one side.

If it's broken on the outside, it'll chew up your windshield wiper (if it has them).

If you dont require inspections, you could leave it and see if it gets worse.

I've replaced windows on our forktrucks that are bigger than this. (35,000 & 30,000lb lift) I call my local glass shop and they can do it on site. One visit to get the measurements, get it ordered, and another visit to install. Don't remember exact cost, but thinking around $500ish. Definitely under $2k.

Having owned a couple of cars with cracked windshields in my younger days (no state inspection ) if there is no hole in it, it won't shed glass. It is undoubtedly an OSHA violation. If that isn't a problem just run it.
Dennis

I've replaced windows on our forktrucks that are bigger than this. (35,000 & 30,000lb lift) I call my local glass shop and they can do it on site. One visit to get the measurements, get it ordered, and another visit to install. Don't remember exact cost, but thinking around $500ish. Definitely under $2k.
curved glass... great for visibility .. not so great when replacement is needed

AE9B8FAF-640B-4057-96F3-85472ADF3B35.jpg

Windshield on my little toyota truck has looked like that for 10 years, I use it primarily for off roading, so it can stay like that till it either starts leaking water, or collapses. Unless there is an osha or insurance problem, I'd leave it. If its just flat safety glass, most any glass repair shop can replace it.

You're screwed, unless it's something that's used in several vehicles and you can cross-ref it. Glass shops have a book, can try.

Friend's a glass guy, the prices can be a trick. First off, the markup on glass is phenomenal. Price to the glass shop is less than half retail, sometimes a lot less. But even at half off, that's an expensive luxury.

Do you need it ? It's a forklift. Just take it out ?

You can make a plastic one pretty easy but it's never going to be as nice as glass.

I’ve changed a few plant windshields, they were duplex laminated, score one side, then the other, tap tap tap, crack, bend and Stanley knife the film, not difficult, better when the stuffs warm.
Glazing rubber onto the glass, cord the other side and fight it in, many hands make light work, last one I put a triple sucker in the middle around the seat and pulled it in, plenty of silicone lube on the rubber plus a warm bath before installing.
There a tractor glass shop down the road that sells the 6mm glass, it’s really not that hard but easier to get someone else to do it, I’m making a new cab for a 3 ton excavator at the moment, after paint it’ll be glass ( I have some blue tinted for this one, much better to work in)
Polycarbonate is more forgiving but windshield wipers eat it fast, visibility goes out the window, ooh that’s bad, even for me.
I have a case 1845 that has a cracked glass, been that way for years, it won’t fall out,
Mark

View attachment 299906

Curved windshielda are great, we were just switching to them the year before I retired. As part of the package I signed off on a fleet of Hyster H1050’s and H1150’s our dealer agreed to have a windshield in stock for us at all times
New Hyster windshields are identical from around 30K up to the 1150k.
Yes they are around $2K.

All automotive windshields are curved, any mobile windshield outfit should have no trouble swapping windshields.

Back