OT- Credit card malfunction mystery - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Magnetic media is sensitive to cold temperatures. Could the cards / readers been extremely cold? I've seen a failed card work once warmed up between your palms.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

At the gas station nearest me, I can only use the same card at the pump once per day. On the second visit of the day they require me to go inside to swipe/chip at the counter. I have no idea why. The owners/operators have funny accents and I don't have time to chat.

There are now multiple banks offering 2% cash back on everything. That adds up over time.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milacron View Post
    I have two MasterCard's (Citi and BOA) that both stopped working in gas pumps, and at a retailer, at the same time. Meanwhile my Amex card still works. I presumed the magnet strip or chip were damaged from scraping in my wallet for a year, but it did seem highly suspect for two cards to stop working simutaneously. Regardless, I confirmed nothing suspect going on with the actual account and Citi sends me a new card.

Which worked once or twice in gas pump readers but now the new card doesn't work either !

Citi androids confirm account is still good and have no clue what the issue is. (FWIW, the card numbers still work for phone or internet purchases and no scratches on the new card magnet or chip) My only theory is something weird going on with a particular gas pump card reader somehow corrupting data on card and only American Express cards are magically impervious to that.

Any ideas folks ?
    Common problem since having to deal with BOTH "chip" cards AND swipe AND handheld/proximity link AND optical patterns made the readers all of smaller, cheaper, and more complicated ALONG WITH... their FIRMWARE and upstream network software!

Your problematic card is only borked if it no longer reads OK on OTHER readers, different Merchant, even if same model of reader. Read "damned seldom an issue."

Reader is usally the source, then the "network" and whether an on-net or off-net card. Visa, Amex, MC, [Discovery/China Unicard] the four big ones WE see the most of.

Standing joke for two-plus years here at the Exxon Mart.

Outside pumps JF work, regardless.

One of two readers indoors works for small purchases. Other reader won't read either a swipe or a chip insert. Bbuuuuttttt .. works fine if one FIRST trys and fails the chip insert, waits for "card read error", THEN swipes.

The merchant has tried to have it corrected for "a while'. No Joy.
    We all JF deal with it.

EVENTUALLY.. enough merchants raise enough fuss, the networks and the reader-makers will sort it. Because it is costing we chikn's inconvenience - about which they are indifferent - but THEM money as to per-transaction processing speed and network connectivity hence overall workload - all of which they DO care about.

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Once laid the TIG whip across my thigh while welding aluminum: wiped my whole wallet!

5. Likes steve45, TeachMePlease liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have had credit go bad and the company sent a new one overnight mail.

I took out a debit card to my checking account and never used it. About 5 months later I had a Post.con charge that I had never made. The bank looked at the account and deleted that charge.
    They said that best to discontinue that card. I decided to not ask for a new one.

I pay about $9.00 a month for a service that insures against any false use of my signature.

But yes likely I have to catch the error.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Leadfootin View Post
    Once laid the TIG whip across my thigh while welding aluminum: wiped my whole wallet!
    LOL! One of the earliest-ever patents on remote card sensing had been issued to Doug MacArthur's former MSGT of Communcations, "GHQ, South Pacific". My "Big Boss" at Northrop-Page.. before I hired HIM within the year for a different Cold War contractor.

Roy had simply grabbed GUNN and IMPATT diodes soon as they hit the market. Smacked the diode with RF energy at one frequency, it reradiates at a different frequency. Bit of foil conducter on an encapsulated PCB, and he had a card only a little thicker than present-day ones, no battery required.

I mention it because with the technology of that era, it initially took a HELL of a lot of POWER radiated toward the card to make it put out enough power to be detected BACK!

Enough so that if "distance" was on the dance-card, the person carrying the card was in more danger of being "wiped" than the card was!

Part of why it took us so long to get to where this stuff works NOW is it also had to be low-power and sensitive enough to not fry the eyeballs of the users of it as a byproduct! Even so, that became the EASY part.

Security was, and remains, far the tougher challenge.

There's "money in it" for any who can defeat it, and never a shortage of greed.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hardplates View Post
    Not an answer but if you have an AmEx platinum business card you can ask for a metal card which survives much more punishment.
    I've read that some merchants refuse the metal cards because of damage to the card readers, which the merchants must pay for.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Archer120x View Post
    What is the make and model of this mailbox? I might get one.
    Don't know, I bought it at Lowes or Home Depot.
    it has locks front and back.
    the post office doesn't need a key to deliver to it, it has a slot.

looked it up on lowes:
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Architectur...lbox/999918506

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had trouble with an unresponsive gas pump a couple of weeks ago. Put the card in, pulled it out, nothing. After several attempts, same thing. I moved to another pump, same thing. I was going to drive off and go to another station but attendant came out and told me to put my card in and wait for 30 seconds. It worked! This goes counter to all the other gas pumps I've used. Perhaps it's what happened to yours.

11. Likes JoeE. liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    I had trouble with an unresponsive gas pump a couple of weeks ago. Put the card in, pulled it out, nothing. After several attempts, same thing. I moved to another pump, same thing. I was going to drive off and go to another station but attendant came out and told me to put my card in and wait for 30 seconds. It worked! This goes counter to all the other gas pumps I've used. Perhaps it's what happened to yours.
    Not a LOT of them left, but some locations DO HAVE nought but seriously poor analog Copper pair back to the Telco Central Office and barely get connected with the slow-speed modems their PoS system is at the mercy of.

Back when I still HAD a "landline" and a V.90 dial-up, I was trying to get ADSL. C&P, now Verizon, couldn't get it to work.

Turns out the route of the wire (shared, as I was still active in Telco meself) was nearly double the straight-line distance from my home in Sterling to the serving CO in Herndon. 17,000 feet, IIRC, and already running over "loop extender" or "long loop adapter" at 70-plus VDC, not neg-48, nominal.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Archer120x View Post
    What is the make and model of this mailbox? I might get one.
    This has worked for me for 9 years. I am not rural but we have meth head human rats who empty mailboxes to look for scammable items. You can find giant stacks of peoples mail down by the railroad trestle. Never had an issue with this unit. Well once a homeless meth lady did use the large flat top to empty all her garbage on and start sorting. Had her arrested as the mess was epic and she was attracting meth guys. Two hours later she was out and back 'resorting' her stuff and making a bigger mess.

Package Master(R) High Security Locking Mailbox | Mailboss

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

''- Credit card malfunction mystery''

No mystery, in November you voted for the wrong side

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Some 35 years ago was the only time I had regular problems with my bank card.

I worked at a particle accelerator and if I forgot to take my wallet out when I went in the 'target' room, my card wouldn't work for a week

Have the Russians been nuking your shop?

16. Likes Limy Sami liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gwinn View Post
    I've read that some merchants refuse the metal cards because of damage to the card readers, which the merchants must pay for.
    I as well as everyone I know that has them have never come across this. If I did I would tell them to enter it manually.

To be honest I usually get responses like "Is this metal? I've never seen a metal card." That said most people don't even know they exists let alone been told not to accept them.

I have also never broken a card reader, but I usually don't take 3 steps back and get a running start when inserting said card

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not sure if this has been mentioned but I had a debit card that stopped working, went into the bank to try it and still no go. Asked the teller for an eraser, swiped it over the chip contacts, wala, like magic.

Told the young girl, "see, old guys know some chit", lol.

19. Likes Limy Sami liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've used cards at fuel pumps for years without any real issues, certainly no compromised accounts. The only time I had any issues was when fuel prices were a bit high and it took three or four transactions to fill the truck with diesel as well as fill a few gas and diesel cans for other uses. The RFID cards will at least eliminate most of the card wear and tear issues, though they seem to illicit an absurd amount of paranoia from a lot of folks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Years ago I interviewed at a mercury cell chlor-alkali plant. we had to leave our wallets in the office when we toured the facility, as the magnetic stripes would be compromised. The cells used literally tons of mercury and the individual cells measured the current flow in kilo-amperes.

They also mentioned a chlorine cylinder explosion that launched a 2 ton cylinder hundreds of feet.

I chose not to work there.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milacron View Post
    I have two MasterCard's (Citi and BOA) that both stopped working in gas pumps, and at a retailer, at the same time. Meanwhile my Amex card still works. I presumed the magnet strip or chip were damaged from scraping in my wallet for a year, but it did seem highly suspect for two cards to stop working simutaneously. Regardless, I confirmed nothing suspect going on with the actual account and Citi sends me a new card.

Which worked once or twice in gas pump readers but now the new card doesn't work either !

Citi androids confirm account is still good and have no clue what the issue is. (FWIW, the card numbers still work for phone or internet purchases and no scratches on the new card magnet or chip) My only theory is something weird going on with a particular gas pump card reader somehow corrupting data on card and only American Express cards are magically impervious to that.

Any ideas folks ?

Is it possible that maybe your around something that may be scrambling your cards?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hardplates View Post
    I as well as everyone I know that has them have never come across this. If I did I would tell them to enter it manually.

To be honest I usually get responses like "Is this metal? I've never seen a metal card." That said most people don't even know they exists let alone been told not to accept them.

I have also never broken a card reader, but I usually don't take 3 steps back and get a running start when inserting said card.
    I have no direct experience either. I also know that most merchants cannot be bothered to clean their card readers, and so can have lots of problems with grum on the read heads. The new contact-less cards should solve that problem.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawnrs View Post
    Is it possible that maybe your around something that may be scrambling your cards?
    Still a newlywed?

More than just the plastic!!!

DAMHI..remember the days.. whole life gets re-programmed ... generally for the better.