What's new
What's new

OT - Crew Dragon (potential) launch live on NASA TV link

And they're in orbit!

Very exciting that it has gone off without a hitch so far!

Bob and Doug have balls of steel to sit on top of that much RP-1 and LOX that's for sure! NASA's published numbers were 1 in 60 chance of total mission loss... Can't believe how calm and confident they were in that situation!

Amazing work all round!

FFS..and now NASA launch live streaming has some dude talking about police brutality and US riots.

Actually the SpaceX Dragon capsule is the safest ever launched by NASA due to having a TESTED abort system that can work from launch to orbit. Oh and they got the first stage booster back! Cancel the SLS project now before any more billions are blown on a now obsolete design.

Actually the SpaceX Dragon capsule is the safest ever launched by NASA due to having a TESTED abort system that can work from launch to orbit. Oh and they got the first stage booster back! Cancel the SLS project now before any more billions are blown on a now obsolete design.

I'd like to see SLS continue, but with better engineering oversight and budget control. I admire the Starship "process", but don't want it the sole US "extra" heavy-lift option.

1 in 60 is the calculated likelihood of mission loss, i.e. not completing everything. They calculated 1 in 276 chance of crew loss, the difference being the various ways they could rescue the guys if something goes wrong.

1 in 60 is the calculated likelihood of mission loss, i.e. not completing everything. They calculated 1 in 276 chance of crew loss, the difference being the various ways they could rescue the guys if something goes wrong.

Thanks for that! When I looked the other day I wasn't able to find the chances of crew loss, seems like I wasn't using the right term!

Yeah reading about the differences between the different systems it was pretty crazy to hear that the Space Shuttle had no system for aborts between fuelling and jettisoning the SRBs and main tank... The pad abort system for dragon is very cool! It would be even cooler if they ended up doing a propulsive landing version of the dragon rather than using parachutes! I'm sure they will go that route once NASA is more comfortable with propulsive landings!

Yes it was! First time I've ever witnessed a crewed launch live I think!

Seeing a launch in-person is pretty much at the top of my bucket list!

It's pretty amazing to see (and feel!) a big rocket going up. I made it to one Shuttle launch, STS-58 in October '93. It took two tries to happen, the first I took my grandfather and some others to the Cape, the second (successful) launch it was just me and an uncle by marriage.

STS-58 - Wikipedia

I did some work on one of the science packages, got an invite to the launch from the principal investigator I'd worked with. Not VIP, but better viewing than the hoi palloi.

What I remember most is the rumble, the vibrations even miles away causing my chest to vibrate. Just an incredible amount of power from the SRBs and the main engines, like being next to Top Fuel dragsters when they run - but fantastically bigger. Being too close to a launch will literally kill you from the acoustic energy alone.

Saw an unmanned (Taurus) launch from Vandenberg. That was also neat, but a much smaller rocket and faster off the pad and out of sight, so not as impressive.

Given a time machine, witnessing a Saturn 5 night launch would have been a top-five event to go to. Right after I'd paid a visit to Lincoln and advised him to skip the theater that night...

No video can ever do justice to watching one of these in person.
Night launches the best.
It is not at all like TV.
At first it just crawls, crawls as if in slow motion with all the noise and you wonder why is it not going faster and is this right... then....

Back