OT - Customer Threatening to Sue, Advice? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Tell em you will take em to the bar and counter sue.
    Judges get rally pissed why lawyers knowingly bring frivolous suits.

2. Likes SAG 180, wheelieking71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

no lawyer is going to sue for $300. That's more or less what the expense of the shipping was from what the OP mentioned. They want the shipping paid back to them and leave it at that, but I'm pretty sure if they do sue it's going to be for a lot more than $300. So if you ask to just split the shipping then they feel they got something and of course you lost but it won't hurt as bad. I represented myself in a lawsuit and indeed it's all about intimidation and blackmail. My lawsuit was for "more than $10 000" which basically means "sky is the limit" i legal terms. It took me 2 trips to the courthouse, 1 deposition, 18 months later they dropped it and each was left walking.

Quote Originally Posted by EPAIII View Post
    This could go either way. I have fought lawyers without legal help of my own and won. It feels good. I counted on it not going beyond a few letters for a sum of a few hundred dollars and it didn't. The lawyer involved probably had his secretary compose and prepare the letters and he just signed them. Probably less than a minute of his time per letter and there were around four of five of them. It really isn't worth their time to go to court for a few hundred dollars and he knew it as well as I did. Besides, I had followed the letter of the lease perfectly. It spelled out exactly how to break it and I did every step. The lawyer finally gave up.

If you offer a 50/50% settlement or some other reasonable figure, they will probably take it. Hopefully that will still leave you in the black on the job.

If they don't, I like jscpm's suggested letter to the judge. If the court is out of your state, I suspect that will work. I really doubt that an out of state court has a way to force you to appear in their courtroom. This isn't exactly a murder case.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by xplodee View Post
    I guess I'll be the only one to disagree with the majority of the sentiment above...

My business does a lot of customer service for products that we manufacture, take it from me: pay them and move on with your life. Never do business with them again and protect yourself from this kind of thing in the future by adding terms to your order confirmations. Fighting with a bunch of lawyers is more stress than it's worth.
    Pay and move on is why these a holes are happy to sue, chances are they will pay up to make it go away, if everyone fought this shit it would go away.

5. Likes Steven-Canada liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The weird part of this story is the product. What on earth could a law firm need that is machined or fabricated, and bulky enough to ship by rail, and has to be delivered on a deadline?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For the serious stuff I agree with counter suing. This means they have to be very sure of winning, because if they don't win, you do win. A guy I know loaned a climbing rope to a so called climbing expert who was injured showing off with it. The so called expert engaged some ambulance chasers who served papers on my friend. The friend got some advice from a barrister he made a lot of yacht parts for, and then counter sued the climbing expert AND the ambulance chasers for seven million dollars. The ambulance chasers backed out so fast it was a joy to behold and wrote a letter along the lines of "It's all really no-body's fault and can't we just all get along?". The whole thing was dropped within hours of the counter suit. Before the counter suit they kept ringing him with a series of cash offers to settle out of court.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just keep in mind that the other party may not be rational... See this true story about a crazy ex-judge who sued his dry cleaner for $67m because they lost his pants...

Pearson v. Chung - Wikipedia

Dry cleaner won in the end, but took years, tens of thousands of dollars and went one appeals court short of the US Supreme Court...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Farmer View Post
    The weird part of this story is the product. What on earth could a law firm need that is machined or fabricated, and bulky enough to ship by rail, and has to be delivered on a deadline?
    Some kinda display booth for a lawyers "trade" show?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A gallows?

George

11. Likes Limy Sami, Sea Farmer liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

The new "Litagation-2000" Client delivery device
    Is filled with the latest hi-tech machinery, self driving technology, it actually arrives ahead of
    the ambulance....
    Last edited by digger doug; 12-02-2016 at 06:11 PM.

13. Likes Bobw, converterking liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Apart from agreeing with the anit lawyer brigade, I think this is a time when you have to make a call.

If you want to keep the client, see if you can reach an amicable settlement and move on, if not - you'll see them in court.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You could always hire my legal firm - Dewey, Cheatham & Howe - to represent you.

16. Likes Billtodd, Joe Miranda liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bleedwhite, cuttlefish and skate

Seriously. Someone above mentioned trying to keep the client, who the hell would want them as clients? Most are bad enough with slow pay and dumb engineers. But threatening to sue?

18. Likes swatkins, digger doug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Georgineer View Post
    A gallows?

George

The rack they use while taking depositions.

Dennis

20. Likes Sea Farmer liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

30 minutes with a lawyer in your state. It will be worth the time and money. A person never knows what sort of goofball rule/law that may allow the suing party do all sorts of goofy shit beyond collecting $300.
    Just my opinion.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

They're trying to steal from you.

23. Likes Winterfalke, Screwmachine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by John Welden View Post
    They're trying to steal from you.
    ^ This. They are hoping that the threat of them being a law firm will make you roll over and fork over the cash. On the other hand, it doesn't cost you much to drag things out as long as possible, and their time is worth much more than yours. And you are technically and legally in the right on this one, and they know it. I would go out of my way to drag this out as long as possible, and look for every opportunity to screw them as hard as possible. I don't like to start shit, but I can go above and beyond to make you regret trying to screw me over. Capricious vindictiveness is the best defense against opportunistic predators.

25. Likes Steven-Canada, John Welden, mkd liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Contact Ted Kaczynski and mail them a nice package as an apology.

The stupid idiots couldn't find a shop in the same state, let alone the same city. JFC

27. Likes mkd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rons View Post

The stupid idiots couldn't find a shop in the same state, let alone the same city. JFC
    They've already sued all those shops.

Dennis

29. Likes Bobw, Limy Sami, RC Mech liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

They were too cheap to pay for guaranteed shipping and now they want to sue because their stuff was late. True scum bags. I can't believe how many of the shit birds on this thread think the OP should just pay up, or offer to split the cost. No fuckin way.

I'd maybe pay the 300 if I knew I could for sure get another job from them. I'd send them a pallet of rotting pig heads. Here ya go! Right on time.

Or maybe walk in their office with a pig head and throw it on the dudes desk.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

so I've read PM members suggesting to file a counter suit. My question is: Have any PM members ACTUALLY filed and won or know first hand of somebody that has ACTUALLY filed such a counter suit ? How did things turn out? Did you/they get more money than they spent overall? My point is what value to put on any of such suggestions if people haven't experienced them first hand? Lawsuits in general are a very important subject for most, but first hand experienced shared is what I value above all this other speculative (little to no background) type of view of how the law might work out for anybody involved in a lawsuit.

32. Likes richard newman liked this post