What's new
What's new

OT: Cuts and burns from long hard experience. Treatments that work for me.

rons

Diamond
Cuts:
Clean up blood and close wound with a paper towel. Use whatever dressing but keep area of skin close to cut clean.
Reason is to apply masking tape over the skin to make it look just as it should. Works better than a Band-Aid and dressing.
Doing this for years and never got an infection. Area is sealed and the healing is much faster. Dealing with a chisel
into a finger and after two days there is just a red patch layer of skin.

Burns:
If the burn can be soaked in cold water for 1-2 hours then it will not form a blister and there will be no pain.

Is school in or out?

Have a Stanley knife blade to slide over area to remove splinters, get the direction right they pull out, if that doesn’t work cut a bit of skin away with nail clippers.

super glue works well to seal a slit, like a paper cut. But it must be dry and it stings a little.
Bill D

Super glue development was a defense department project. Don't know which branch of defense but the glue was developed
for temporarily mending human flesh. The patient is transported and then treated. The project failed and the public got
Super glue, or something else has taken it's place.

Ice ! Ice ice ice it immediately ! If you wait even ten or fifteen minutes doesn't work as well.

Have had shockingly good results with ice a few times.

The problem with that is you need a ice bucket with about 6 ice cubes.
The ice cube way might work faster. Hate to have to test it out and write about ...

The inner flesh and juice from fresh cut Aloe Veroa plant is great for burns. It immediately stopped the pain. The welding department yard I took classes at was lined with half-hacked Aloe plants.

I keep a little bottle with neodymium (rare earth) magnets by my work bench. Works great for getting metal out of your eyes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

3M Super 33 electrical tape is typically my favorite bandaid.

Clean the cut, wind the electrical tape on tight enough to staunch the blood flow, loosen it before your finger turns blue.

The absolute BEST remedy I’ve had for arc/flash poisoning is rose water. Since I discovered that I typically keep a bottle at home, my shop and my work toolbox.

I’ve heard all about milk… or potato milk… and others… I know when the sand-in-the-eyeball feeling wakes me up in the wee-hours, the last thing I wanna do is milk potato’s.

I know not to watch the arc, but the older I get, even just the background light from 10 guys running 71A/M all day will get to me after a couple days.

Fourthed for keeping a burn on ice as quickly as possible and for as long as possible.

Tweezers have been an integral part of my toolbox kit for a decade.

Be safe

Jeremy

On the subject of burns, obviously cool it ASAP then cool some more, if it’s a bad burn ( and I have had some, steel plants come with that) you need an emergency room, it’s not just the burn, your potassium and magnesium can go haywire affecting the heart, wrap the burn in CLING FILM, yes the kitchen one, we had rolls of it in the first aid boxes, it’s clean and can be manipulated round hands, arms etc easily, don’t go sticking grease on burns, it doesn’t help.
Mark

The glassblowing people swear by Silvadene and Burnshield. Rule #1 in glassblowing- hot glass looks exactly like cold glass.

Reminds me the glass work when I was kid. If I dropped a glass rod after melting an end and went to pick it up I had a 50 50 chance of getting the hot end. Lots of small burns on the finger thumb ends. :-)
...lewie...

I have been a hobby blacksmith for close to 40 years. I don't burn myself as often as I did earlier, but an ice cube ( or 3 or 4 ) as soon as possible works. Besides the pain reduction it usually eliminates blistering. I was not at my home shop for my last burn so the slack tub was my first stop and then a water hydrant about 50 feet away. No blister and no pain at all the next day.

Bob
WB8NQW

No blister and no pain at all the next day.
WB8NQW

That's the thing with me. No pain when continuing the work. No pain when washing hands because of open wounds.
I have enough stuff on my mind.

I was once talking to a guy about how the body can mend itself like from cuts and even wounds that have stitches.
He said, "What about if you arm is cut off..." He was an ungrateful fork anyway...

Superglue works well for big nasty gashes if you use it with gauze or fabric. Try not to get it inside the gash too much. It will hold the flesh together and it doesn't have to be dry to work.

I glued a few fingers and leg gashes back together before I had good insurance.

Silvadene as someone posted earlier for burns. Amazing stuff, pain goes away within minutes and it helps the healing process.
Story I heard was it was developed in the Viet Nam war era for our men in the field.
Hospitals use it all the time for burn victims, ask a nurse you might know. Typically they use some and throw the rest away. I store mine in the fridge for long life. Used to date a nurse.

Mr Bridgeport

Back