What's new
What's new

Deep Hole Drilling - MY Question

to what advantage - rpms? check out dunmore speeders. the motors typically have a place for a threaded stub on top so can be held in a drill chuck or you could make an MT stub

more than likely the OP is looking for counter rotation, but IMHO keeping tight guides with a stationary drill is the industry standard... every Pratt 1/2 B deep hole drill and Barnes twin spindle I have been around have stationary drills and turn the part.

John Stevenson had pictures of such a setup several years ago. He got a second tailstock that fit the lathe, and IIRC the front one was just a lever action quill and chuck and the rear stock had the motor. It would be counter rotating to the workpiece and gets small drills closer to the ideal rpm for that diameter.

I thought about making a quick change attachment with a 1/2 hp motor driving a er32 spindle so I could drill bolt circles on the end of long shafts, but I didn't get the job so I never made it.

This helps to keep the hole more accurately centered and straighter also. In order, from least to most accurate: drill rotating, workpiece stationary; drill stationary, workpiece rotating, drill rotating and workpiece (contra)rotating.

Last edited:

Back