What's new
What's new

OT Dangerous Jewelry?

Dave D

Hot Rolled
A couple of weeks ago a woman at work got an insect bite on her ring finger. She waited a few days for the swelling to go down, it didn't so she went to emergency. The doctor saw her right away, cut off two gold rings but couldn't cut off the third ring.

The third ring turned out to be Titanium so they got a special diamond cutter and cut the ring. I asked her if she got burned and she said yes, they had to freeze her finger because she was getting burned when they tried to cut the Titanium ring. I don't know how much titanium was in the ring but in theory, couldn't Titanium + heat = Ouch!?

Dave

Some bolt cutters could have bitten the ring off no problem. Titanium is tough but not that tough.

Iv had police from the jail bring in a prisoner where we chomped off handcuffs from the prisoner because the key broke off. That's a rare job for a machine shop.

Now days I call bolt cutter a "MASTER KEY" :D

Ti rings have always been something that I thought is a bad idea. Having working as a medic and in the ER, I can tell you that even getting off a gold ring can be a lot of work if someone finger is really swollen. The ring cutters are made to slip under the ring and saw down. Bolt cutters are not a viable option for ring cutting.

This is a good reason to take off your rings if you ever see any signs of swelling in your hand.

Also I never wear my wedding ring when doing any kinds of work in the shop. It is just a bad idea to wear jewelry in a shop IMO.

safe wedding ring?

So I just got engaged. I see a ring in my future. What is a good wedding ring to consider? I own my own business and spend the day bouncing back and forth between shop and office. I'm the sort of guy that ruins clothing within hours of getting it. Safety glasses on and off is as much as I want to bother with going in and out of the shop.

Just take ring off when I get out of the car and put it back on when I get done for the day? The problem I see with this is that I also work with tools and equipment at home.

How about making a break away ring? Maybe make a batch of them. A couple of thin points such that it could easily be snapped off with a needle nose pliers?

-Jim

First, there are many here who would strongly debate if there is ever such a thing as a "safe wedding ring" :).

A breakaway ring idea likely could work for something like preventing finger loss if the ring snags jumping off a semi but likely wouldn't work well as by the time it breaks it has already snagged you and pulled you into the machine. Other issues with rings that come to mind are electricity conduction and heat conduction. I remember a nasty story about a mechanic working on a starter, shorting it out with his ring, ring gets red hot and he pulls it off neatly skinning a large part of his finger.

Your best bet might be to gently explain the dangers to your fiancee and put the ring on only when you get home/take if off in the morning during the week. Put it somewhere handy but obscure so that you don't loose it by theft.

In regards to the Titanium ring, the image I had was it starting to burn and basically removing her finger.

Dave

I had a wedding ring once. I wore it for a 1/2 a day >20 yrs ago.

When younger I was on a hay ride where one gurl jumped down and kept hold of the top of the side. Ring cought the side before her feet found ground. Liked to a ripped her finger off!

My grandpa was missing a finger, but I never gave it no thought. I figgered _ the war or many yrs in the factory and farm - not abnormal eh? Many yrs later the subject came up and he told me that it was a ring that took his finger as well.

I don't wear jewelry. But then not too many folks would even see it if I did.

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

My wedding ring is Tungsten Carbide alloy with a Carbon Fiber inlay (Yeah, she knows me well.. :^)). It comes off as soon as enter the shop or do anything really, and doesn't go back on my finger until I'm in the car and driving home.
I often wonder how bad it would be if my finger or hand got injured and the ring had to be removed. Then I shudder a little and put the thought out of my head.:willy_nilly:

So I just got engaged. I see a ring in my future. What is a good wedding ring to consider? I own my own business and spend the day bouncing back and forth between shop and office. I'm the sort of guy that ruins clothing within hours of getting it. Safety glasses on and off is as much as I want to bother with going in and out of the shop.

Just take ring off when I get out of the car and put it back on when I get done for the day? The problem I see with this is that I also work with tools and equipment at home.

How about making a break away ring? Maybe make a batch of them. A couple of thin points such that it could easily be snapped off with a needle nose pliers?

-Jim

I would just go with a 14K or higher gold ring. 14K gold is good because it is soft enough to cut off easily, but not so soft to get bent all the time. All I do with my wedding ring is stick it in that little pocket in the top of the right side pocket of jeans. I think that pocket was originally intended for a pocket watch? Regardless it is a good safe place for your ring while working.

Last edited:

-Jim

Get one tattooed on your finger ;). Of course there are obvious drawbacks to his...

The third ring turned out to be Titanium so they got a special diamond cutter and cut the ring. I asked her if she got burned and she said yes, they had to freeze her finger because she was getting burned when they tried to cut the Titanium ring. I don't know how much titanium was in the ring but in theory, couldn't Titanium + heat = Ouch!?
Dave

I can see where a doctor might be dumb about machining a tough metal like
titanium...but this is a Machine Shop forum...
If -I- had to cut off a titanium ring, I think I'd use a small abrasive wheel with a dremel tool and I'd surely use a small amount of COOLANT.
Specifically WATER....so as not to have things heat up to the point of burning the finger.

Basic machining common sense eh ?

My SWMBO witnessed another co-worker cutting my wedding band off (held in vise) while finger was swelling.....she never insisted again about me wearing one....:eek:

Ox wrote"

"I had a wedding ring once. I wore it for a 1/2 a day >20 yrs ago. "

Dang Ox, you beat me............ I wore it the whole day after then never again.

Took her about a month to quit whining, finally explained if I loose my finger, or worse, their might not be any checks coming home from the shop.

Topic never came up again:D

kye-chain ring

Could wear wedding ring on your key-chain .

That is what I have been doing for 10 or 12 years. Over the years my finger got bigger and I could not get the ring on and off. My day job is electronics, for my safety and the equipment safety the ring had to come off almost daily. The on and off made the finger swell. The wedding band has been on the keyring.

CarlBoyd

So I just got engaged. I see a ring in my future. What is a good wedding ring to consider?

Just take ring off when I get out of the car and put it back on when I get done for the day?

Pure gold is the way to go. Don't believe the jeweler nonsense about it not being "hard" enough. Jewelers like to sell crap because the profit margins are higher.

If your shop overalls don't have a buttonable (or zippable) vest pocket get ones that do. Snickers overalls have small, secure pockets. Put your ring in the special pocket before doing work.

Pure gold if its a got a decent cross section should easily be low enough resistance to jump a car starter with out the ring even getting warm!

A titanium ring can be rapidly cut off using a DWC saw. This kind of saw uses an abrasive diamond wire. Since the wire is threaded, only the reciprocating type will work. The finger has to be protected by a hard metal shim. This will remove even a tungsten ring in seconds. (Yes, I know somebody with a tungsten wedding ring. Hopefully he won't get elephantitis of the fingers).

Jewelry supply houses sell specialized tools called "ring cutters". Well-equipped hospitals or EMTs should always have these. These tools are designed to close on a ring and then engage a small slitting saw to cut through the metal.

Around the house you can use a file to get a ring off. Once you have the ring notched a planishing hammer can be used to work alternate sides of the ring to expand the notch until the ring breaks. It can then be pulled apart with pliers.

Back