Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That type of damage looks like it has been exposed to something that the plastic cannot handle. The very first one I would expect from that damage is Isopropyl Alcohol, what did you clean the plastic with?

2. Likes Mark Rand liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Big B View Post
    I have a ton of DeWalt 18 volt tools. I have been using mostly 18 volt DeWalt batteries in them but as they have been failing I've tried a couple of other things. I ordered a lithium ion chicom battery and it was great. So I ordered a couple more of them and a few month later one of them failed. No sign of the seller anymore so no warranty.

I just ordered a couple of DeWalt 20 volt batteries with an adapter to use in most of my 18 volt tools. So far I haven't seen any cracks but I haven't used them much yet so don't have much history on those. I will be keeping an eye on this thread with great interest too.
    I bought the battery adapter the week it came out - had tons of 18V tools. No cracks in any of my 20V batteries. One thing to note - I have one dewalt-branded adapter and three knock-offs. The plain black knock-offs are way better. The dewalt is almost impossible to release from the tool one-handed and difficult with two hands. It just lives permanently in my drill.

4. Likes Homebrewblob liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe dip the lower half of the battery in some Flex seal:
    Flex Seal Liquid
    | flexsealproducts.com

It might hold the case together, and provide a cushion for impact.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Garwood View Post
    I haven't had that problem, but I recently disassembled a few 4000 bushel grain bins. I went armed with my assorted 20V dewalt impact guns with 6 extra batteries and two friends brought their newer Milwaukee cordless tools.

The Milwaukee tools had DOUBLE the torque of my Dewalt stuff and they both went all day on the battery they started with.

I went through 6 batteries in the first 3 hours and switched to corded tools while the Dewalt batteries charged.

I also brought two chargers with me. One charger died while I was there.

So, I will not be buying any more dewalt tools. IMO, they suck enough to cut my losses.

On a regular basis I find the ambient temp in my shop is too hot or two cold for the Dewalt batteries to function and or charge. I have to keep the batteries and chargers in my temp controlled office or they won't work. My buddies shop is just like mine and his Milwaukee tools always work great.
    I was helping a buddy change a tractor tire yesterday and he had a NIB Dewalt impact. After the 4th nut it was over heated so it had to sit for a while and we finished with a breaker bar. A few months ago I helped a different friend with a Milwaukee impact pull the bumpers and truck bed from the junk yard. We did the bed/bumper swap and rotated the tires like it was nothing. I couldn’t believe that thing was able break those 20yr old rusted bolts loose. I’m buying the Milwaukee.

7. Likes Garwood liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by david n View Post
    all my yellow junk goes in the trash and I'll switch over to Milwaukee or Makita or ?................................
    If Dewalt don't warranty them (they should) I'd be happy to take them off your hands for postage. I rebuild power tool packs so I'd harvest the good cells and recycle the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by gregormarwick View Post
    If all your batteries are cracked, have you checked the condition of the cells?

LiIon cells can swell if overcharged. Never seen it on a cordless tool, but it's a reasonably significant problem in phones and laptops.

There might be a problem with your charger.
    the cylindrical cells in powertool packs don't swell like the lithium polymer prismatic cells in laptops and cell phones. They vent out the safety valve at the +ve terminal.

9. Likes JoeE. liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hobby Shop View Post
    I was helping a buddy change a tractor tire yesterday and he had a NIB Dewalt impact. After the 4th nut it was over heated so it had to sit for a while and we finished with a breaker bar. A few months ago I helped a different friend with a Milwaukee impact pull the bumpers and truck bed from the junk yard. We did the bed/bumper swap and rotated the tires like it was nothing. I couldn’t believe that thing was able break those 20yr old rusted bolts loose. I’m buying the Milwaukee.
    This means nothing, we would need the EXACT model numbers from the side of the tool themselves to compare.

Not to mention the battery AH/charge and age on both tools.

ALL the brands market a generic picture of a tool but supply MULTIPLE tools (multiple model numbers) depending on locations and supplies.

If you check the fine print on the box or advertisement you’ll see either NO model number or multiple model numbers for the same box/advertisement.

This is why just saying
    (X) tool couldn’t do this
    (Y) tool did it no problem.
    Means nothing.

I have Milwaukee’s that are weaker then dewalts.
    I have dewalts that are weaker then Milwaukees.
    I have Rigids that are both.
    I have ryobi’s that just suck period.
    I have Makitas that are both.

It’s all in the fine print, they all seem to play a shell game and bounce back and forth depending on market and sales.

Hard telling what your really getting.

And if it’s a “kit” with multiple tools then your getting the weaker cheap versions FOR SURE, just check the model number and you’ll see they don’t even sell them “kit” tools by themselves, only available in a kit

11. Likes Gordon Heaton liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DrHook View Post
    I have decided the only thing worse than the chucks on a F'n Dewalt drill is their batteries.
    I agree about the chucks.

To the OP, the last straw for us using Dewalt was cracking batteries. Same sort of thing as in your pics.

We are tough on tools. Very tough.

Milwaukee brushless has been great.

Early on we had a couple impacts that messed up (didn’t matter if the switch was in forward or reverse, it went the way it felt like). Replaced both under warranty.

Not battery breakage in roughly 3 years. We have a sample size of roughly 30 batteries.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by motojoel1 View Post
    I agree about the chucks.

To the OP, the last straw for us using Dewalt was cracking batteries. Same sort of thing as in your pics.

We are tough on tools. Very tough.

Milwaukee brushless has been great.

Early on we had a couple impacts that messed up (didn’t matter if the switch was in forward or reverse, it went the way it felt like). Replaced both under warranty.

Not battery breakage in roughly 3 years. We have a sample size of roughly 30 batteries.
    I have 2 close friends from highschool that own auto mechanics garage together, they have a pretty large selection of Milwaukee tools both m12 and m18,

They ONLY buy Milwaukee.

they are also hard on them and all the black rubber is gone on most the tools, they are perpetually covered in oil/grease.

They have maybe a hand full of red batteries left in the original cases, the rest are ALL in China cases from Amazon, they just swap the guts into a new case.

I was just looking at a HD12.0 m18 cracked to hell.
    This definitely isn’t just a dewalt thing

My Milwaukee m12 shorty impact broke about a week into owning it, the battery gauge on the side would glow dimly I took it apart out of curiosity then threw it away.

I didn’t bother trying to warranty it

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I brought a coupla them to Home Depot.............they just handed me new ones. The Dept Mngr said he hasn't seen the cases falling apart like mine. They have had a short life in the shop...................coolant making them break down? About the only oil they come in contact with.................I think of heavy mechanics that are in the grease, oil, diesel................wonder how they hold up for them?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I’ve a accubird riveter, battery went, inc cracking, should be 1864 cells ie 18 x 64 mm, measured over 19, they had swollen bursting the plastic case,
    I’m happy with Milwaukee, the things are brilliant imho, plenty of torque, good battery life even after 5 years.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by david n View Post
    All five are cracked.................One 5 AH batt came with a cordless weed whipper, bought a year ago.............cracked...................two 5 AH batts came with a drill, bought about 16 months ago.............both cracked...................two 2 AH batts came with a drill & 1/4 impact combo, bought 6 months ago........both cracked. Looks like Duwalt has a 3 yr warranty on the batts................we'll see what they do come Monday...................

I have heard from a few heavy mechanics that most of the Milwaukee toys are the most reliable(ish)..................
    I've had these batteries since the early 2000's after switching over from Makita, none of my batteries are cracked, some are long dead and replaced?

What are you using to clean your tools, reason for asking, had Makita's that the case developed cracks after a couple years of use and cleaning while I was wrenching for a living?

Kevin

17. Likes Homebrewblob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DrHook View Post
    I have decided the only thing worse than the chucks on a F'n Dewalt drill is their batteries.
    It appears that most people that have used NiCad batteries ruin them by charging them without running them down. My brother has 18 volt DeWalt tools and so do I. I've gotten as much as 10 years out of the NiCads but I don't charge them unless they are run down most of the way. My brother will charge his if he has a job to do without running them down and he gets short life out of his batteries.

I also have a DeWalt 18 volt Lithium Ion drill kit that I bought 14 years ago and it's still going strong, batteries and all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have about a dozen old 18 volt DeWalt nicads that are dead and none of them have any cracks in them. Same for the other half dozen or so that I still use.

I tend to be fairly careful with my tools but have dropped some drills ect. from a ladder and never had a problem.

It looks like the Milwaukee brand is better from what I'm reading here but for now I'll stick with DeWalt. The tools are hard to wear out and I've never had any problem with any of the ones that I bought new. I do have a 18 volt sabre saw that won't hold a blade that I bought for ten bucks as a spare parts saw and I also have one old drill that I bought in a lot of used tools that is kind of funky with the variable speed but it still works. It looks like it survives WWIII too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

IMO this sort of think is endemic with Chinese plastic items. While some last for many years other age very badly and either crack or get gummy and rubbery.

In the case of the DeWalt batteries it is probably specific to some batches of cases. Anyone who has ever worked with elestomers or plastic compounds is well aware of the effect of the various fillers used in compounding them. The issue is not unique to China but due to their habit of sourcing supplies and smaller parts from multiple small vendors it seems more common. In my collection of Chinesium the latest is a Grip brand battery operated work LED light whose outer casing has turned gummy with an unpleasant sticky feel when handling it. I've seen this numerous time before and no amount of cleaning with alcohol or even coating with vinyl spray can stop it.

PS: None of the items I've seen that with were ever exposed to oils or strong solvents so it seems to be something that just happens with age.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

FWIW:
    Coworker of mine has the drill and 2 of these batteries. Both are cracked. Haven't been dropped and all they're used for is chamfering holes, so they almost never leave his bench.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    . . .In my collection of Chinesium the latest is a Grip brand battery operated work LED light whose outer casing has turned gummy with an unpleasant sticky feel when handling it. . .
    I've had some luck coating such with baking soda. You kind of have to rub it in, and perhaps re-coat after a while but it works most of the time.

23. Likes Scottl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtndew View Post
    FWIW:
    Coworker of mine has the drill and 2 of these batteries. Both are cracked. Haven't been dropped and all they're used for is chamfering holes, so they almost never leave his bench.
    This^^^^^

They are in the shop, chamfering holes and the 1/4" drivers are used on a few fixtures................the plastic pretty much crumbled.
    Last edited by david n; 06-18-2021 at 04:55 PM.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Could be DeWalt had the molds moved to another vendor, and they changed the mix, the mold time, the pressures, the heating/cooling.....etc.

Incoming inspection would probably NOT catch this.

Sourcing might have demanded a lower price, and that's how it was accomplished.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MilGunsmith View Post
    How do those red & black knockoffs hold up for charge length? I bought some knock off 18V Dewalt copies and the charge only seems to last half as long.
    They claim to have 50% longer life, or something like that. I would say they have about the same, maybe slightly more. No word yet on how they hold up long term, since I've only had them a couple months, but they sure haven't fallen apart (yet). They seem much sturdier.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I rebuild power tool packs so I'd harvest the good cells and recycle the rest.
    I looked into this as well but the problem seems to be welding the connectors. What do you do? Solder or spot weld them?

I bought a Makita impact tools a couple years ago and every time I use it I'm amazed at how seldom I need to recharge it, I only bought it for the batteries (Other tools) but it has become invaluable for replacing chuck top jaws for soft jaws and turning etc, and I keep wondering why I wasted my and my customer's money and time messing with ball socket head wrenches for all those years!