What's new
What's new

OT: Is Delrin a UHMWPE ?

i_r_machinist

Titanium
I have a print for a part to be made out of Ultra High Molecular Wieght Polyethylene. I have some Delrin, and have wiki-ed and googled it but I can't find anything that specificly states UHMWPE for Delrin. Westinghouse can't deliver in time, and I'm not going to hang my ass out on making the call.
Anyone?
thanks in advance
i_r_

UHMW is crazy to machine particularly if your tools are not razor sharp. The chip tends to all stick together into a mass and it brings a whole new meaning to the term burr. UHMW is the poor man's Teflon as they say but best used where you buy slabs of it, saw it up and screw it down and slide things around on it or whatever. It's like cold rolled steel bar stock that is best not machined into lest you find out something about material science you didn't want to know. Chemically, UHMW is closer to PE and we have had applications where you couldn't use Delrin for pH reasons so we used HDPE instead. And HDPE machines perfectly fine, though not as nicely as Delrin. I believe Delrin is stronger but maybe a bit less slippery than HDPE though I haven't looked it up. HDPE is also more recyclable than Delrin so nice that way but if the part is at all complex, Delrin is best.

I just fixed my apple corer by CNC turning a new knob for the top of the handle out of Delrin. I guess it will now run through the dishwasher every time we make apple sauce, so I will finally be able to test this allegation about Delrin not being good at high pH.

I make some spacer rings with Delrin, 2" i.d. up to 3.5" o.d. Yes, gives new meaning to "continuous chip". What I found is that as you remove material by turning, Delrin grows. First ones I made, I finished the i.d. to 2", then turned the o.d. The i.d grew but several thou as it stress relieved I guess. So now I finish the i.d. to .010", turn the o.d., then finish the i.d. Curious if others found this to be the case.

UHMW is crazy to machine particularly if your tools are not razor sharp. The chip tends to all stick together into a mass and it brings a whole new meaning to the term burr. UHMW is the poor man's Teflon as they say but best used where you buy slabs of it, saw it up and screw it down and slide things around on it or whatever. It's like cold rolled steel bar stock that is best not machined into lest you find out something about material science you didn't want to know. Chemically, UHMW is closer to PE and we have had applications where you couldn't use Delrin for pH reasons so we used HDPE instead. And HDPE machines perfectly fine, though not as nicely as Delrin. I believe Delrin is stronger but maybe a bit less slippery than HDPE though I haven't looked it up. HDPE is also more recyclable than Delrin so nice that way but if the part is at all complex, Delrin is best.

I just fixed my apple corer by CNC turning a new knob for the top of the handle out of Delrin. I guess it will now run through the dishwasher every time we make apple sauce, so I will finally be able to test this allegation about Delrin not being good at high pH.

I would prefer delrin, but this thing is going to be used in the reactor cavity. I don't want my name on a substitution. Are we talking about hss and knife edge with small tnr?
thanks
i_r_

Razor sharp tools, coolant, multiple variations on programming. An absolute nightmare. After part-off the part would deform. Of course with a .073" cross section on a 2.25" od tube, I knew what it would do before I started. The "chips" were just one long ball of fishing line. I have a 8' stick left over that I think I'm throwing in the dumpster.
Thanks for the info
i_r_

Back