Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    Does anyone have an estimate of how many apps now exist for the iPhone? The number has to be huge.
    Tim Cook said 1 million+ at the 2013 WWDC. General internet consensus puts the current number between 1.2 & 1.5 million.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The fact that these don't expose and allow you to change calibration constants seems weird to say the least as display pixel counts will always keep changing.
    There must be some member here that likes to code phone aps.
    Perhaps an open door to make some side money for someone.
    I have no answer but find it strange that this hole is not filled.
    Having to carry a small tape or scale in the pocket is just a pain and you don't have it just when you need it.
    I go to the hardware store and then sometimes "Oh-shit, why did I not bring my calipers with me".
    Phone, well it seems everyone has one handy.
    Bob

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milacron View Post
    I often wear shirts with no pocket. But I still have "writing things down" covered via the note function of the phone (type or talk) or actual pen writing on back of a business card in my wallet via integral pen in Swiss knife in pants pocket.

But then, this has nothing to do with my topic.... but we all like to chatter about how clever and resourceful we are don't we
    Tape the scale to the back of the phone. Problem solved.

4. Likes iMillJoe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

An app that could measure something by using a dollar bill as a calibration constant, would be cool.

Just put the dollar stretched out next to the item to be measured, take a picture, then tap some points on the picture and have it measure the distance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The app entitled "Handy Tools - Caliper" by ofijo is accurate on my 6+.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I carry a Super Leatherman,a 3' tape in a black plastic round case the size of a fat quarter. The leatherman folds out and has an accurate 9" scale on it. Typical low tech,but accurate and reliable to measure stuff. The Leatherman has a usefully strong needle nose pliers on it.

8. Likes Scottl, Philabuster liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gwilson View Post
    The leatherman folds out and has an accurate 9" scale on it. Typical low tech,but accurate and reliable to measure stuff. The Leatherman has a usefully strong needle nose pliers on it.
    Way too large and heavy for my left pants pocket

Milacron

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Philabuster View Post
    Tape the scale to the back of the phone. Problem solved.
    Nope... I use a protective leather case for it. Plus the tape would come off eventually anyway.

Milacron

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Admin5 View Post
    Nope... I use a protective leather case for it. Plus the tape would come off eventually anyway.

Milacron
    Since you are even entertaining the idea- surely you could source someone with a laser engraver. Not sure if that will void your phone warranty so proceed with caution...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by allloutmx View Post
    Since you are even entertaining the idea- surely you could source someone with a laser engraver. Not sure if that will void your phone warranty so proceed with caution...
    Uh....you do know what leather is, right ? Please folks, stick with the original question.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Uh....you do know what leather is, right ? Please folks, stick with the original question.
    If its the same leather Im thinking of, probably some sort of dehydrated and stretched animal hide.
    I was thinking more along the lines of the back of the phone...but your right...sorry for wasting everyones time again

14. Likes TeachMePlease liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not trying to be flippant but some iPhone specific forums might even have some folks who could suggest a "hack" to calibrate an existing app to fit your phone. Just because it is not in the user interface does not mean that it can't be done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Milacron,I carry my Leatherman in a nylon holster,not in my pocket.I wouldn't like the weight in my pocket either. And by contrast,I find the smart phones to be too large to suit me. So,I have the old flip open type. Admittedly,it is no where as useful as the more advanced phones,which are really like small computers that can use the internet.

In an emergency out on the highway,I used the Leatherman to remove the battery cables to clean the connections so the battery would charge again.

I have too many things on my belt to carry those larger phones too. My little 3' tape is many times more useful and accurate than the phone app,apparently.

Carbide Bob,I am not even aware of the little round tape measure. They are sold as key fobs. I cut the attachment part off. The tape is less than 3/8" thick,and very light.

17. Likes Philabuster, JST liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not necessarily what you're seeking, but I carry a small Metric Conversion card in my wallet that includes a 0-3" ruler along one edge and 0-8 cm along another. Comes in handy at times.

19. Likes Philabuster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Milacron,I carry my Leatherman in a nylon holster,not in my pocket.I wouldn't like the weight in my pocket either. And by contrast,I find the smart phones to be too large to suit me. So,I have the old flip open type. Admittedly,it is no where as useful as the more advanced phones,which are really like small computers that can use the internet.

In an emergency out on the highway,I used the Leatherman to remove the battery cables to clean the connections so the battery would charge again.

I have too many things on my belt to carry those larger phones too. My little 3' tape is many times more useful and accurate than the phone app,apparently.

Carbide Bob,I am not even aware of the little round tape measure. They are sold as key fobs. I cut the attachment part off. The tape is less than 3/8" thick,and very light.
    I carry the phone in a "tech pocket"...a pocket on pant leg below regular pocket just for a thin phone. Won't buy pants without a tech pocket except carpenter jeans, which have the equivalent.

21. Likes metalmaster10 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    Not trying to be flippant but some iPhone specific forums might even have some folks who could suggest a "hack" to calibrate an existing app to fit your phone. Just because it is not in the user interface does not mean that it can't be done.
    its really not that important to me..just thought if there was a proper app that would take no more than minute of my time I'd get it. This discussion falls into the category of something I am amazed at the lack of knowledge. A rare occurance here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So. my post #25 didn't work out on your 6S?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I understand from these posts that the phone app is not accurate. So,what use is it? Please enlighten my ignorance.

For about 25 years I have a 3' tape in my pocket,and the leatherman on my belt. Only in several years of daily wearing I have to buy a new sheath.

Before I got the tiny little round tape,I still had the Leatherman with 9" of useful scale on its back,in English or metric,too.

I have never worn cargo pants myself. Only jeans. Maybe I should get a pair of those "Duluth fire hose" cargo pants. They ought to be very rugged,if expensive. I might have to walk like Chester on Gunsmoke till I get the knees worn in to bend!!!! I seriously HAVE been tempted by their "Shirt jacket" with warm lining.Except they cost nearly $75.00. And the pants $60.00,plus shipping. I like Kirkland jeans from Costco. They have a watch pocket 5" deep,that will swallow a good size pocket knife and keep it from getting all scratched up where I carry my change,keys,etc.. Only $16.00.But,I wax off topic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McIntyre View Post
    So. my post #25 didn't work out on your 6S?
    No, that is precisely the one that is inaccurate on my 6S. Weird.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I understand from these posts that the phone app is not accurate. So,what use is it? Please enlighten my ignorance.

For about 25 years I have a 3' tape in my pocket,and the leatherman on my belt. Only in several years of daily wearing I have to buy a new sheath.

Before I got the tiny little round tape,I still had the Leatherman with 9" of useful scale on its back,in English or metric,too.

I have never worn cargo pants myself. Only jeans. Maybe I should get a pair of those "Duluth fire hose" cargo pants. They ought to be very rugged,if expensive. I might have to walk like Chester on Gunsmoke till I get the knees worn in to bend!!!! I seriously HAVE been tempted by their "Shirt jacket" with warm lining.Except they cost nearly $75.00. And the pants $60.00,plus shipping. I like Kirkland jeans from Costco. They have a watch pocket 5" deep,that will swallow a good size pocket knife and keep it from getting all scratched up where I carry my change,keys,etc.. Only $16.00.But,I wax off topic.
    1. The phone app is dead accurate on other phones, just not on my 6S for some reason

2. I'm not talking about "cargo pants" Dickies and Wrangler Riggs have pants with "tech pockets"...THAT is what I'm talking about. So called cargo pants have extra pockets but the pockets are typically too large and the phone flops around in them. A proper tech pocket is such that the phone slips in perfect fit and will never slide out by accident.

Also note I said Wrangler RIGGS... these are not standard Wrangler jeans but much heavier duty. I've never seen them in any store but they can be ordered via Amazon among other places. Also note the Wrangler Riggs tech pocket may not be large enough for the largest smart phones but the iPhone 6S fits perfectly (well, ok, not "perfect"...a little tight if you have a protective case....fits perfect without a case or iPhone 5 and less with case)

Suspect they will enlarge the tech pockets eventually to acomodate the "iPad mini" size phones....but maybe not as by the time the phone gets that large it seems like it would protrude from the leg side to side too much !

The Wrangler Riggs pants are way less expensive than Duluth pants. Dickies less expensive still, but not as nice.