What's new
What's new

OT- Dial caliper app that is accurate on iPhone 6S ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
Tried a couple and they are way off...apparently designed for smaller screen...and no way to compensate/adjust. Would gladly pay a few bucks for one...but in search none I find specifically mention they work for the larger screens !

And yes of course it's a joke compared to a real dial caliper but comes in handy if I forget my little 3 foot tape measure to measure nuts or whatever at a hardware store.

The best way to measure something with an iPhone is to go back and measure the dents after you chuck it at the thing in frustration.

The best way to measure something with an iPhone is to go back and measure the dents after you chuck it at the thing in frustration.
This is my 4th or 5th iPhone and I love the things, and thus have no clue what you mean.

SWMBO recently went outside the fold and bought one of the fancier Samsungs....which is pretty cool except it has some voice distortion to those she is talking to...maybe she just got a dud...sending it back.

I know this doesn't answer your question, so feel free to say something smart.

But, why not just keep a caliper in the glovebox of your truck? Or a 3 ft tape?

Not to mention any hardware store I've been in has ruler stickers on the toolboxes containing the nuts/washer etc. At worst, grab a tape off the shelf for a second.

I've noticed people have some need to use their cool phones for things that make no sense to me. Using the phone for something like this doesn't seem to solve a real world problem, just using a caliper/tape seems easier?

Not to mention any hardware store I've been in has ruler stickers on the toolboxes containing the nuts/washer etc. At worst, grab a tape off the shelf for a second.

I've noticed people have some need to use their cool phones for things that make no sense to me. Using the phone for something like this doesn't seem to solve a real world problem, just using a caliper/tape seems easier?
Eighty percent of the time I have a tiny 3 foot tape measure in my pocket (along with tiny flashlight, Swiss Army knife with integrak scissors and a pen, plus tiny screwdriver/pliers doo dad. Obviously, the tape measure is preferred as it is quicker and has way more range than a 3" virtual dial caliper. But every once in a while I forget the tape measure...but almost never forget the phone.

So it's not a matter of wanting to use a "cool app" but simply a matter of "Plan B" in case of no tape measure.

Note I said measuring nuts OR WHATEVER....don't hone in on the hardware store example. Your response was worse than worthless as it is causing me to waste time responding to something that never should have been posted.

Your response was worse than worthless as it is causing me to waste time responding to something that never should have been posted.

I only posted for this response. Appreciate it, i laughed.

I would consider an I-Phone app for wiping my ass about as useful as a caliper app, but we all have our own opinions on what is a waste of time.

Get a ruler tattooed down your.................Arm.

Was going to suggest something else, but figured you might have to measure something longer then 2" at some point. :D

This might not look as cool as an app but a piece of stick-on ruler tape on the back of the phone should be a lot more accurate. I have seen them with various inch graduations on one edge and metric on the other. Even works when the batteries get low.

Another option would be to create an image of a ruler using whatever pixel spacing would be most accurate on your phone's screen. Ten minutes work in Windows Paint or other program that can zoom to the pixel level.

Try Handy Tools - Caliper from ofijo

I don't have the 6 to try it on, but it scales correctly on both my iPhone 5s and iPad Air. The description says "improvements and fixes for new screen resolutions" so it may work.

And it's my favorite price, too. Free!

This might not look as cool as an app but a piece of stick-on ruler tape on the back of the phone...

Milacron... How about some "PM" branded clear-tape, stick-on rulers/sclaes? Seriously ScottL - that is a really good idea...

---------------------------------------

Edit: To satisfy my own curiosity, I went and searched McMaster Carr for what's available... Looks like 1-foot strips of clear-plastic ruler tape are only a couple bucks... McMaster-Carr

(Waiting on Milacron to get upset...) :leaving:

I checked with my Android Smart Tools app where I found calibration factors ro tweak.

This leads me to ask: is there a way to calibrate your iPhone caliper app hidden in the settings?

This leads me to ask: is there a way to calibrate your iPhone caliper app hidden in the settings?
As I said in my first sentence..no. (yes, I looked hard for secret adjustment/compensation methods..just not there)

But that may be true of only the two free caliper apps I tried. Perhaps some other caliper apps that are not free can be calibrated, thus the point of this topic...to see if anyone else has found a particular measurement app that is either meant for the 6S screen or can be adjusted. Does the Smart Tools app have a caliper or ruler of some sort ?

Smart Tools is a suite of level, protractor, sound, vibration, geo location imaging, etc apps etc utilizing the sensors in the phone. It's pretty comprehensive. I would think the iPhone world would have something very similar or even an iPhone version. Very slick and comprehensive. There are You Tube videos where quadracopter dweebs balance their rotors using the vibration app. The levels and protractors are accurate as hell but the compass usually sucks. There's a magnifier and a units conversion, sound level with a graphical representation of frequency distribution, There's even a mirror app I use when looking behind and under stuff. I love it.

The measurement app you may be looking for consists of a two axis ruler found under the icon resembling a drafting triangle titled "ruler".

I'll look..

(seconds later) Yep, they do at the Apple Store, it says.

Hold it. Smart Tools I;m using originated by "Android Boy." The iPhone by Sreeprakash Neelakantan.. The screenshots on the Apple store differ too. Maybe I'm all wet. I can;t believe there is Android stuff unavailable on the iPhone.

Try Handy Tools - Caliper from ofijo

I don't have the 6 to try it on, but it scales correctly on both my iPhone 5s and iPad Air. The description says "improvements and fixes for new screen resolutions" so it may work.

And it's my favorite price, too. Free!
No, in fact that is one I had tried that is way off. I just tried their ruler version...also off.....a business card 2" wide for example measures 1 3/4" on the Handy Tools screen ! Weird that it is accurate on iPad Air but not on this phone.

I started carrying a 6" 5R graduated scale in my pocket 30+ years ago, been there so long I feel naked without it. And believe me, you DON'T want THAT!
Guys ate the parts house where I do business are constantly perplexed when I go and measure a bearing with that scale, and tell them within a few thou of what size it is, while they're looking for their dial calipers. I do it now just to aggravate them.

I started carrying a 6" 5R graduated scale in my pocket 30+ years ago, been there so long I feel naked without it. And believe me, you DON'T want THAT!
Guys ate the parts house where I do business are constantly perplexed when I go and measure a bearing with that scale, and tell them within a few thou of what size it is, while they're looking for their dial calipers. I do it now just to aggravate them.

I spent almost 40 years wearing thick safety glasses and a plastic pocket protector with 6 inch scale, fine lead pencil and pens. I also carried 3x5 index cards for taking notes. The 3x5 cards can also be stacked and folded in various ways to use as measuring devices. I retired in 2003 and no longer wear my engineer's uniform.

Larry

Here's a thought:

Download GIMP
Create an image that is the same native resolution as your screen
Graduate the image based on the DPI of the screen
Download image to your phone
Set image as the wallpaper on your phone
Accurate always-on graduated scale on your phone

I spent almost 40 years wearing thick safety glasses and a plastic pocket protector with 6 inch scale, fine lead pencil and pens. I also carried 3x5 index cards for taking notes. The 3x5 cards can also be stacked and folded in various ways to use as measuring devices. I retired in 2003 and no longer wear my engineer's uniform.

Larry
I often wear shirts with no pocket. But I still have "writing things down" covered via the note function of the phone (type or talk) or actual pen writing on back of a business card in my wallet via integral pen in Swiss knife in pants pocket.

But then, this has nothing to do with my topic.... but we all like to chatter about how clever and resourceful we are don't we ;)

That's very interesting. A friend of mine likes to say that a person with an iPhone and a Swiss Army style knife is pretty well equipped for most situations. I don't own an iPhone but I know quite a few who do and it has revolutionized doing business "on the road". Some contractors I know would probably rather leave a power tool home than be without the phone. They have pretty much made a lot of other devices obsolete to the point where the device has become a mobile office in a pocket.

One guy I know has pretty bad dyslexia and the voice actuated assistant (I forget "her" name) has taken away a lot of torment communicating with customers.

Does anyone have an estimate of how many apps now exist for the iPhone? The number has to be huge.

I often wear shirts with no pocket. But I still have "writing things down" covered via the note function of the phone (type or talk) or actual pen writing on back of a business card in my wallet via integral pen in Swiss knife in pants pocket.

But then, this has nothing to do with my topic.... but we all like to chatter about how clever and resourceful we are don't we ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back