OT- Do any surgical anti snoring procedures actually work ? - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In addition to occasional use of a neti pot many people have had good results using homeopathic allergy preparations. I first learned of them from a coworker who had poor results from nasal surgery but found relief from homeopathics.

I still use the Bio-Allers brand, especially the Mold, Yeast, and Dust one but no longer bother with the Tree Pollen and Grass Pollen ones because a nearby compounding pharmacy (Johnson Drug, Waltham) sells a product called Allergy New England Mix that works well with our local pollen.

Many people also have good results taking a little raw local honey, which contains a mix of local pollens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Your the first.

duly noted.

And also duly noted your hatred towards me, cram you attitude sir !
    I'm the second.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post

The system does not work in the REAL WORLD (where I reside thank you), the mask moves ever so slightly, and all benefits are lost. Doctors blame the patients as "not trying hard enough"
    Same with obesity.
    Not sure which real world you live in? But, in the one I live in, my CPAP works just dandy.

4. Likes toolsteel, 4GSR, gusmadison liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have one of those Zyppah mouthpieces. And it makes me drool something fierce!
    I've had it for over a year, and have yet to try it out for an entire night.
    The first week I would pop it in an hour or two before bed to try and get used to it, but gave up.
    I have to just suck it up and persevere because I haven't had a good nights' sleep in probably 20 years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have/had very bad apnea. About 5 years ago, the wife took a video of me on the couch, while I was having an episode, while she was trying to watch TV.
    I knew I snored bad. Big whoop. But, I had no idea just what apnea was. When I saw myself in that video,
    completely stop breathing for what seemed like forever. Then the huge gasp for air! (because I was about to turn blue)
    That was a very scary eye opener! (literally LOL)
    I went straight to google, and read some pretty scary stuff. Followed by a doctors appointment. Followed by a sleep study. Followed by a CPAP.
    The number of times I woke up per hour in the sleep study was stupid. The lady told me I was one of the worse she had ever seen.
    It has been years now. I don't remember the exact number. But, it was 3 digits anyways. I remember that much.
    I can sleep anywhere (except a moving vehicle), and the bed was comfortable. So, I don't believe the study skewed the results.
    I really have an issue. Confirmed by the wife. I am a mouth breather anyways, so the nostril only deal did not work for me. I need the full mask.
    It only took me one night to get completely used to wearing the mask. And, in the beginning, it was life changing.
    Since then, I have had my sinuses scoped, and learned that I have a severely deviated septum (bike accident, imagine that! LOL) and, nasal polyps.
    No I have not had corrective surgeries for those issues. And, not sure I will. My B.I.L went through hell with his surgery.
    I have also lost a bunch of weight since I started using the CPAP. That has helped as well. In the beginning, I wore it every single night.
    Now, there are nights I opt not to wear it. I still snore. But, since loosing weight, the apnea is not as bad.
    I don't stop breathing nearly as often without the mask, according to the wife. So, yes, I am also proof that loosing weight can directly affect these conditions.

Sorry, I got nothing on the procedures (the actual topic). But, I wanted to chime in on the "CPAPs are a scam" tangent.
    No, they are not. They work.

7. Likes gusmadison liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wheelieking71 View Post
    I have/had very bad apnea. About 5 years ago, the wife took a video of me on the couch, while I was having an episode, while she was trying to watch TV.
    I knew I snored bad. Big whoop. But, I had no idea just what apnea was. When I saw myself in that video,
    completely stop breathing for what seemed like forever. Then the huge gasp for air! (because I was about to turn blue)
    That was a very scary eye opener! (literally LOL)
    I went straight to google, and read some pretty scary stuff. Followed by a doctors appointment. Followed by a sleep study. Followed by a CPAP.
    The number of times I woke up per hour in the sleep study was stupid. The lady told me I was one of the worse she had ever seen.
    It has been years now. I don't remember the exact number. But, it was 3 digits anyways. I remember that much.
    I can sleep anywhere (except a moving vehicle), and the bed was comfortable. So, I don't believe the study skewed the results.
    I really have an issue. Confirmed by the wife. I am a mouth breather anyways, so the nostril only deal did not work for me. I need the full mask.
    It only took me one night to get completely used to wearing the mask. And, in the beginning, it was life changing.
    Since then, I have had my sinuses scoped, and learned that I have a severely deviated septum (bike accident, imagine that! LOL) and, nasal polyps.
    No I have not had corrective surgeries for those issues. And, not sure I will. My B.I.L went through hell with his surgery.
    I have also lost a bunch of weight since I started using the CPAP. That has helped as well. In the beginning, I wore it every single night.
    Now, there are nights I opt not to wear it. I still snore. But, since loosing weight, the apnea is not as bad.
    I don't stop breathing nearly as often without the mask, according to the wife. So, yes, I am also proof that loosing weight can directly affect these conditions.

Sorry, I got nothing on the procedures (the actual topic). But, I wanted to chime in on the "CPAPs are a scam" tangent.
    No, they are not. They work.
    Just want to point out they don't work (feeling rested/better) for everyone. I was also told my sleep apnea was severe. Wearing the cpap made no noticeable difference to my "rested" feeling in the morning. I am sure it did help with the apnea, I am just talking comfort level and feeling more rested in general.
    Also, I was using it correctly according to the built in monitoring that shows when your mask is leaking...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My dad had multiple surgical procedures for snoring. None worked for him.

I use a CPAP. It works great.

I used a CPAP for a month going in to it, I had a crappy mask fit.

I finally ended up going to a sleep clinic where they had EVERY mask made, and had a sleep technician that took the time with me at 3am to find a mask that fit, and then make sure that I passed the study with that mask on.

Following that appointment, CPAP has been awesome. I use it 100% of the time...and I can no longer take a nap during the day. When my mask gets old, I can tell, as it starts leaking more. I get four months out of a mask.

I am using a full face mask, as I am a mouth breather when I sleep.

Those people that fail to see the benefit from a first use of CPAP really need to have a in lab sleep study in a good facility. They need to make sure your mask is working for you.

So while it might not work for everyone, I can tell you that the people i know that admit to having sleep apnea, and faithfully use their CPAP, love it.

FWIW...I roll a ton, I kick my legs, and move constantly. I am the worst type of patient.

10. Likes toolsteel liked this post
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    British Columbia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have been using a CPAP for about seven years now. I used to have constant muscle ache like I had been weight training only it never went away. Three days into using the machine and the aches where gone. I guess my muscles were not getting enough oxygen to repair at night.
    It was easy for me because I often wore a full face mask at work for eight hours so sleeping with one was no big deal. My technician mentioned that not all people are "compliant". Something like 50 % stop using it.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would have dreams that I was holding my breath under water, and my wife would jostle me awake because i hadn't taken a breath for a minute or more and she was scared for me. Then I'd wake up gasping, catch my breath, fall asleep and do the same thing all over again. I was always sleep deprived; had no energy, couldn't think straight, always irritable. Got the CPAP with nasal pillows. Took about a week to get used to it, and then it was like I was a new man. I could think straight and wasn't tired all the time.

13. Likes toolsteel liked this post
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by moonlight machine View Post
    I had the deviated septum surgery, did not work for me.

Didn't stop your snoring or didn't help you breathe better? Or both?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Keeley View Post
    Didn't stop your snoring or didn't help you breathe better? Or both?
    Not the poster you are replying to...but in general, any facial/sinus surgery in that general area creates so much scar tissue that it decreases quality of life.

I have a pretty badly deviated septum...I asked about having it repaired. ENT from University of Michigan told me very specifically, even using state of the art techniques, they'd end up doing more damage than they'd repair.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea back in about 2005. I believe, looking back, that it started when I was a teenager around 1984. I was scrawny back then, but I remember often sleeping late and feeling like crap most of the time.

I have not been able to tolerate the cpap mask. If I am able to fall asleep, I often take the mask off at some point during the night (or day as I tend to sleep at different times each day).

My lower jaw is set back a bit. My airway seems to be small as a result. If I sit still and relax, my tongue will slide back and block the air from my nose and I will start breathing through my mouth. If it is this easy to restrict my breathing while I am awake, I can imagine what happens when I sleep. If I could sleep with my tongue sticking out, I think I would breath much better.

I do sleep separate from my wife because of my snoring.

Sleeping propped up does help a bit. I feel much worse if I have been laying flat.

I did have a molded appliance made that would move my lower jaw forward. I could tell that my airway was bigger. However, the appliance fit tight around the teeth and was borderline painful. There is a metal ball that fits into a socket to keep the jaw in position. The feeling of the metal-to-metal contact was worse than the pain.

I have not considered the surgery options as I don't think the success rates are high enough. I had one orthodontist/dentist say that my lower jaw needs to be broken and reset. I don't think so.

That is my story. I don't know if it contains any useful information or not. I do know that I haven't had a good nights sleep in 35 years and it get worse as time passes.

Thanks,

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was tested for apnea and passed. Then a nap test for narcolepsy. After a full nights sleep, 4 two hour naps with 1/2 hour awake between. Get to full Rem sleep more than twice and you are considered narcoleptic. I did it three times out of four. Then the doctor says “What is amazing is you Averaged 2 minutes and 59 seconds to full Rem sleep!”

You guys carry a CPAP, I carry a pillow! Had to pull over and nap twice this week. I don’t take chances.

18. Likes JHOLLAND1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My wife insisted that I get a sleep study done (in 2010) because my gasping for air was waking her up at night. I didn't know I was doing it. Evidently there was some snoring too. I always felt more tired after a nights rest than I was the night before (I'll come back to this one). 4 hours into the test at the hospital the technician woke me up and told me to go home, they had what they needed and I was to make an appointment to get the results. IIRC I stopped breathing >240 times in 4 hours with the longest time being about 45 seconds. I've been using a CPAP ever since and the wife's pleased. On nights when I've been too sick to use it (flu) I've actually caught myself not breathing while laying on my back before I went to sleep.

Most of this year I've started waking up very tired again like I used to, even though I'm using the CPAP machine. I guess it's time to go for another test?

Just for the record two of my friends took the same test before I did and were told they didn't have a problem or need equipment. I assume there are different levels of testing because I can't imagine this could be done at home. I had 16 electrodes attached various places from my ankles to the top of my head.

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Not the poster you are replying to...but in general, any facial/sinus surgery in that general area creates so much scar tissue that it decreases quality of life.

I have a pretty badly deviated septum...I asked about having it repaired. ENT from University of Michigan told me very specifically, even using state of the art techniques, they'd end up doing more damage than they'd repair.

I saw three ENT's until I found the right one, sounds like you should get a second opinion. I think some of them like to hang out in their office more than cutting on people.

Your's couldn't be worse than this, the procedure increased my quality of life considerably:

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

against better judgment I comment here--
    I am ENT doc with 6000+ nasal--oral surgical airway interventions and offer the
    following:

avoid implant gadgets--alloplastics--high failure and complication rates

avoid general anesthesia--

adequate nasal airway is important--

major concern linked with sleeping airway obstruction is central nervous system factors--apnea causation in 65 yr+ age group is increasingly linked with CNS aging--and higher surgical failure liklihood--
    current options for CPAP airway support are much improved over those 20+ years ago

aging brains do not tolerate swings in arterial oxygen delivery/desaturation
    cardiac and stroke rates increase in individuals with either central or mechanical/obstructive apnea

the take away message is investigating CPAP/BiPAP systems dispensed thru high volume facility --ie university medical center

22. Likes MichaelP, 3512B, fusker, Fancuku, mllud22 and 1 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mhajicek View Post
    Got the CPAP with nasal pillows.
    Can someone explain to be why everyone doesn't use the nose type CPAP as opposed to the full nose/mouth types ? If for example you breath thru your mouth at all... the "pillow" type do nothing...do something that is better than nothing...or ? I'm guessing that the forced air thru the "nose only" type might lessen the instances of mouth opening ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milacron View Post
    Can someone explain to be why everyone doesn't use the nose type CPAP as opposed to the full nose/mouth types ? If for example you breath thru your mouth at all... the "pillow" type do nothing...do something that is better than nothing...or ? I'm guessing that the forced air thru the "nose only" type might lessen the instances of mouth opening ?
    When I tried the nasal pillows, my mouth would open and the air would go in the nose and out the mouth, even with a chin strap. Would not work with my anatomy. Tongue gets in the way.

Bill

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milacron View Post
    I have the nasal pillows. I can't say for sure, but if for some reason you can't keep your mouth closed at the very least it would be highly annoying as the sound is noticeable when it bypasses the mask/pillows or thru your mouth. And I suspect it would dry out your mouth in short order, even with a humidifier.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

CPAP definitely works and it’s been a life saver for me and my wife.
    I used to wake up 4 times at night to go to the bathroom and always woke up in the morning feeling like I only got two hours of sleep. The worst thing was trying to stay awake right after I had lunch.
    CPAP made a difference for me on the very first night.