Ot- do readers effect unaided focal length in our eyes- welding helmet magnifiers. - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Staring at computers has damaged my eyesight ..that and eyeglasses......But some things you gotta do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    Staring at computers has damaged my eyesight ..that and eyeglasses......But some things you gotta do.
    Coming up on five decades with computer screens I would like to blame that but more it is just getting old.
    Ageing sucks. You still feel 20 something but can't do, see or hear.
    I did not think I'd pass the last driver's license test with no glasses but did. Very surprised.
    Bob

3. Likes ratbldr427 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There used to be a business (maybe still is) that advertised in the aviation trade rags that they had a program to help pilots maintain their vision. Probably 20 years ago I sent them some money and got 3 sets of readers in different strengths and a brochure on how to improve my vision. You started with lowest power readers and while reading slowly increased the focal length (move book farther away) until it got blurry, then brought it back to where you could focus. Over time I did notice that I could read at a further distance than when I started. iirc the idea was that it strengthens your eye muscles, whether its true or just a bunch of malarky, IDK.

Today I can see fine from about 18" out to 10' or so, any closer or further and its all blurry . I have to use readers for any type of close-up inspection. Last DL renewal I HAD to get glasses, I could not read any of the lines in the vision machine, driving in day I can see fine (although I'm supposed to be wearing glasses), nightime I HAVE to wear glasses because without them every reflective sign has multiple tracers shooting off it and I can't read any of them. After driving for a few hours at night with glasses, when I take them off I cannot focus on anything for several minutes.

5. Likes moonlight machine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dalmatiangirl61 View Post

driving in day I can see fine (although I'm supposed to be wearing glasses), nightime I HAVE to wear glasses because without them every reflective sign has multiple tracers shooting off it and I can't read any of them. After driving for a few hours at night with glasses, when I take them off I cannot focus on anything for several minutes.
    Getting double images, too???? You have cataracts. I got to where I hated driving at night because of all the streaks and multiple images. Cataract surgery took care of that.

7. Likes camscan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There is a hidden danger of using cheater lens in a welding helmet, or reading glasses. Say you are standing on a short platform for a better position to weld something. Mine was 18" up. I went to step off sideways with helmet down. I miss judged the distance down and started to fall. That micro second warning clear eyesight gives you would have let me compensate. But only knew I was falling from my inner ear and that was too late. Put my right hand out to break the fall and SLAM!! Helmet went flying and I saw stars. Rotator cuff completely trashed. Could not lift my right hand much above my chest.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by alphonso View Post
    Getting double images, too???? You have cataracts. I got to where I hated driving at night because of all the streaks and multiple images. Cataract surgery took care of that.
    No double images, yet......aren't you a bearer of good news.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Like distance accommodation problems, cataracts do sneak up on you. The last couple of annual visits to the eye doctor, they've told me I'm developing cataracts but that it will be about 10 years before I need surgery to clean them out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So I tried the simplest fix to this.
    I ordered a No. 1.0 lens for the helmet which is enough magnification to do the work and doesn’t make my eyes feel strained in the least.

Thanks guys

12. Likes Mud liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i started out with cheap cheaters for some time before i got to the eye doctor.
    got prescription glasses about +.50 and +.25, intended just for reading.
    it was a world of difference.
    had the half size look over type for a couple of years until i needed them all the time.
    tried vary focus but that didn't work out for me.
    had some made with three focal distances,read from paper,from computer screen and beyond that all in one.
    worked kind of, while i worked in the office.
    now back to bi focal.
    while welding i always seem to end up with the puddle going into the separation between both focuses.
    so i gave up welding but for the things that do not matter that much.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by moonlight machine View Post
    I have worn bifocals for years. no magnification on the main part of the lens. I think about 2.5 for close up small stuff. About 2 weeks ago it all changed. now I tip my head back to be able to focus even 10' away and I need to use a magnifying glass to read a micrometer. At the same time I got a little unstable walking. I wonder if the 2 are related?
    Sudden onset of unstable walking coupled with vision changes? Get thee to a doctor immediately.

15. Likes dgfoster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by janvanruth View Post
    i started out with cheap cheaters for some time before i got to the eye doctor.
    got prescription glasses about +.50 and +.25, intended just for reading.
    it was a world of difference.
    had the half size look over type for a couple of years until i needed them all the time.
    tried vary focus but that didn't work out for me.
    had some made with three focal distances,read from paper,from computer screen and beyond that all in one.
    worked kind of, while i worked in the office.
    now back to bi focal.
    while welding i always seem to end up with the puddle going into the separation between both focuses.
    so i gave up welding but for the things that do not matter that much.
    For welding just get a single focal length cheater that has 1.5 diopter magnification over the entire lens not a cut in the bottom 1/3rd of the lens. Like this: PYRAMEX SG7910D15 Pyramex Clear Safety Reader Glasses, Scratch-Resistant - Safety Glasses - Amazon.com

Bifocals and variable focal length lens just don’t work well under a helmet since the helmet limits the angle you can comfortably tilt your head. My bet is simple single focal length lenses will work well for you unless you have bad astigmatism or other uncommon visual problems. If you have more significant eye issues you eye doc can help.

Denis

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dgfoster View Post
    For welding just get a single focal length cheater that has 1.5 diopter magnification over the entire lens not a cut in the bottom 1/3rd of the lens. Like this: PYRAMEX SG7910D15 Pyramex Clear Safety Reader Glasses, Scratch-Resistant - Safety Glasses - Amazon.com

Bifocals and variable focal length lens just don’t work well under a helmet since the helmet limits the angle you can comfortably tilt your head. My bet is simple single focal length lenses will work well for you unless you have bad astigmatism or other uncommon visual problems. If you have more significant eye issues you eye doc can help.

Denis
    as my two eyes need different correction and also a cylindrical correction the cheap ones will not work.
    i was planning to get my eyes checked out anyway as i have found out that my center view as opposed to my peripheral view has gone worse over the last few years.
    i noticed this while i was with my son in southern Spain recently.
    as there is a lot less light pollution over there in the campo the night sky is a lot clearer.
    i noticed that there were less stars in the sky, except in the periphery of my view so a checkup is in order.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JoeE. View Post
    My mom told me "you better quit jacking off, it'll make you go blind".

Not wanting to take any chances with my vision, I told her I'd stop when I needed glasses.
    I may have posted this before, but I'm old. Forgive me.

Dad walks into his teenaged son's bedroom and says, "Kid, if you keep doing that, you'll go blind." Kid says, "I'm over here, Dad."