What's new
What's new

OT-Do you look at threads with "meaningless" topic titles?

bucktruck

Hot Rolled
At the risk of being suspended or banned here, this has been on my mind for a while now, so I will ask the question: Do you?

I see, on the first page of the General Discussion Forum, two threads that have been locked. One has over 100 views, the other has over 300. There are several other "open" threads that have far fewer views, albeit with "proper" thread titles.

Personally, I tend to look at threads with "meaningless" topic titles just for curiosities sake. Sometimes it is a topic I'm interested in, sometimes not. In my case, I guess it adds to the fun of forum ;)

I know this is Don's forum (and is hands down the best manufacturing site out there) and he can run it any way he wants. I've just never seen another forum with this rule.

Anyway, in case I get banned, allow me to thank Don for this valuable resource. If I don't get banned, I'm interested to hear your responses. :)

Actually, that is a large part of the problem is that people do look at threads with meaningless topic tiltles out of curiosity. But often enough, then realize they just wasted their time looking.

This is a repository of knowledge and not the place to try and be cute with titles or so slack that you might as well just put an asterick at each topic. I mean, if the topic title is meaningless, then why even have titles at all...lets just but an asterick for each new topic and let folks guess what each one is about...would that make it more "fun" for you ?

Perhaps you are of that mindset but most of us aren't reading the forum thinking "oh goodie gum drops, a mystery thread...I just can't wait to open it to see what it's about !" :drink:

Another consideration is that many new visitors to PM find their way here via Google searches for specific machines or specific issues, which tend to only show up on search engines via info in the TITLE of the thread. If someone posts something unbelievably lame like "Need Help" for a topic title, and then starts chattering away about a Multiplexdoangle 855D in the copy, the machine will often be invisible to search engines.

But if he posts "Need help with Multiplexdoangle 855D" as a title, it will probably end up in the number one spot on Goggle for someone entering that same machine name at a later date, which may lead to yet more participation and knowledge in that topic.

Is it possible to edit a topic title once its been started? Is that included in the 24 hour window for editing? I looked in the FAQ’s but didn’t see anything.

Regards Phil.

Little things in a title can make a difference as to subject matter. Picking on a recent thread titled, "machining peek anybody?" has a completely different meaning when properly titled, "machining PEEK anybody?"

Thread titles usually don't help though when it comes to help..
Maybe if you didn't conjure up such idiotic and flat out wrong statements such as that there would be more inspiration to help you. While it may be true that one of your topic titles didn't help you to get any help from me, as a general statement you couldn't be more wrong.

Is it possible to edit a topic title once its been started? Is that included in the 24 hour window for editing? I looked in the FAQ’s but didn’t see anything.

Regards Phil.
Yes, but you have to do it within a tight time frame (I forget how tight... an hour maybe ?) and do it via the "advanced" function. Most folks slack enough to put meaningless titles are also too slack to figure out how to edit the title, thus it's more efficient to just lock it and they can start over if they wish with a new thread.

Bucktruck,

You may want to ask yourself what is gained by having a meaningless or otherwise obtuse thread title. Many reasons have been offered for why it's good to have as informative a title as possible, and every one is sound and sensible. Do you have any similar points to make for meaningless titles? Are we overlooking something? Give us your rationales, and let's kick 'em around. Who knows, we may learn something.

Steve

btw, for what it's worth, I too feel chumped when I waste time looking at something that might prove interesting but then isn't.

While it may be true that one of your topic titles didn't help you to get any help from me,

Well I suppose the obvious question now is why? After all no one else could help with the forum bug...

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/can-forum-fixed-change-my-username-221943/

Yet you could find the time to lock my thread where I was looking for info on the quality of the aftermarket industrial sized CA quick change tool post..

I would not be complaining if this was a site that was just a bit of a hobby, but going by the advertisements, I assume it is now a money making site.. We put up with the ads, so we should not have to put up with the bugs...

Sure many people do look, and yes the titles usually are "meaningless" or at least not up to the expectations of our moderator. Then after they are closed people look even more, somehow defeating the purpose of closing it, it seems a bit strange doesn't it? It's about on the same level as closing a for sale thread about a forbidden machine like a shaper, the thread gets locked, but still viewable,, and in most cases the poster can still be contacted. It kinda makes this discussion somewhat "meaningless" doesn't it?

Sure many people do look, and yes the titles usually are "meaningless" or at least not up to the expectations of our moderator. Then after they are closed people look even more, somehow defeating the purpose of closing it, it seems a bit strange doesn't it?
Folks might "look more" for a few hours but then the thread cannot have any more responses and fades to page two and onward toward obscurity. Regardless, the OP is not going to get any more responses and hopefully will think twice next time about creating a proper title that at least gives some hint as to what his topic is actually about.

As I said earlier, the OP is welcome to repost anytime as long as the new effort has a more descriptive title.

And yes, this discussion is a bit meaningless...but notice I didn't start it, did I ? Would you prefer I just deleted Bucktruck's topic ?

Well I suppose the obvious question now is why? After all no one else could help with the forum bug...

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/can-forum-fixed-change-my-username-221943/

Yet you could find the time to lock my thread where I was looking for info on the quality of the aftermarket industrial sized CA quick change tool post..
Locking a thread is quick and easy as falling off a log, fixing your problem is difficult.

Frankly I don't know how to fix the problem and simply don't have the time to investigate VB software quirks of this nature that effects perhaps .01% of members. All I can suggest is a name change for you....shall I ? (and if so, to what ?)

so I will ask the question: Do you?

I use the thread preview to determine if I'll open a thread usually. Items I am familiar with (as per the thread title) or more directly interested in I look at regardless. I guess that makes the answer more correctly 'Yes'.

Alex.

I use the thread preview to determine if I'll open a thread usually. Items I am familiar with (as per the thread title) or more directly interested in I look at regardless. I guess that makes the answer more correctly 'Yes'.
While that is better than nothing, it still requires you to aim for and hover over the topic title and then wait a bit for the pop up to reveal the beginning of the OP thread. A better situation is to be able to very quickly scan all the topics for threads of interest without having to "do something"

Also, that technique doesn't work with touch screens such as an iPad.

So I take it, you'd prefer there be no topic titles, so you can hover your mouse over each mysterious one and wait for the cool pop up box to read a few lines first ?

Bucktruck,

You may want to ask yourself what is gained by having a meaningless or otherwise obtuse thread title. Many reasons have been offered for why it's good to have as informative a title as possible, and every one is sound and sensible. Do you have any similar points to make for meaningless titles? Are we overlooking something? Give us your rationales, and let's kick 'em around. Who knows, we may learn something.

Steve

btw, for what it's worth, I too feel chumped when I waste time looking at something that might prove interesting but then isn't.

I never suggested that anything is to be gained by having a meaningless topic title; I simply asked if any of us look at threads with meaningless topic titles.

Milacron has sound reasons for his rules, especially the Google search angle. I too have found valuable information on this site by using a Google search.

Simple curiosity, that's all.

If this discussion includes navigating the site with efficiency then I would like to re-iterate a previously proposed change to the site.
I prefer to "forum jump" from category to category, I find that having the "forum jump" at the bottom of the page to be an annoying waste of time.
Some of the categories that I frequent don't have very many new posts so then I have to scroll all the way down to the bottom to access the "forum jump" feature. I check my favorites daily and some only have one or two new posts, which leaves me at the top of the page.

Maybe I am the only person to use the forum jump feature???

However I am a big fan of the meaningful topic title. It is such an obviously good policy when you try and use another site like OWWM, which has terrible thread titles in general.

Also +1 on the newsletter as it takes me to topics I don't normally view.

Michael

Locking a thread is quick and easy as falling off a log, fixing your problem is difficult.

Frankly I don't know how to fix the problem and simply don't have the time to investigate VB software quirks of this nature that effects perhaps .01% of members. All I can suggest is a name change for you....shall I ? (and if so, to what ?)

Well that is all I asked for... Fair enough you don't have the time... That is OK with me..

I will be happy if you can please change my username to RC99

I checked and the forum software recognises numerals, just not the .,- symbols.

I think specific titles in regards to google searches is a valid reason.

For instance guys like me running old Hardinge CNC's. Some info on components of the machine are impossible to find info on the net, even though there is info out there.

I posted for schematics and info on my GE HiAk drive here, and by the end of the day had schematics and part numbers with repair tips emailed to me for the 1980 machine.

Now- it's there for the next guy and referenced in the title. Good deal.

Back