What's new
What's new

OT document shredding with a leaf shredder

mjk

Titanium
I need to shred about 10 large garbage bags full of documents that have pictures also mixed in.
Requirement is that I witness the shredding
I've found a few national known services that will do the qty on site, but pictures/plastic must be removed
Average price $500
Burning not a solution

Anyone had any success with either one of the electric mulcher/shredders?
Would like to be able to do inside

I need to shred about 10 large garbage bags full of documents that have pictures also mixed in.
I've found a few national known services that will do the qty on site, but pictures/plastic must be removed
Average price $500
Burning not a solution

I used a Kemp hammer/flail shredder with IIRC an 8 hp engine to try using newspaper
for the neighbors horse barn (instead of straw).

I made a screen with IIRC 1/2" holes (smaller than OEM) and the performance was marginal. The output was good (small enough it wouldn't "mat down".

You had to still hand feed very carefully, and overloading was frequent, to a point where the engine would stall.

I have done this with great success, put in the smallest screen and the pieces will come out the size of #10 washers. No two pieces will be the same size.

The other thing you can do, is put the papers in a drum with bleach water. The bleach will fade out the ink and the water will turn it the paper back into pulp.

The other thing you can do, is put the papers in a drum with bleach water. The bleach will fade out the ink and the water will turn it the paper back into pulp.

...and then what doo you doo with a sloppy mess of bleach and pulp ?

Average price $500
Burning not a solution

When they ask you did you destroy the evidence you may b in deep DoDo.
Likey you can buy a shredder and with taking photos of the shredding along with a few witnesses.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pen-Gear-6-sheet-Crosscut-Paper-Credit-Card-Shredder/544423702

"When they ask you did you destroy the evidence you may b in deep DoDo.
Likey you can buy a shredder and with taking photos of the shredding along with a few witnesses."

I have a few of that size, I really don't want to hand feed 10 bags.....
If I'd known I had to separate pictures, I would have made sure to separate

Joys of being an executor of an estate

Average price $500
Burning not a solution

That's genius!

I used a Kemp hammer/flail shredder with IIRC an 8 hp engine to try using newspaper
for the neighbors horse barn (instead of straw).

I made a screen with IIRC 1/2" holes (smaller than OEM) and the performance was marginal. The output was good (small enough it wouldn't "mat down".

You had to still hand feed very carefully, and overloading was frequent, to a point where the engine would stall.

You guys are hilarious - who would think this stuff up! Sheer genius! No wonder we are still the world's super power!

Average price $500
Burning not a solution

that's odd. We were never asked to remove pictures or plastic.
every month our security bin would be emptied and shredded on site by a truck.

most employees added their personal stuff to the bin before pickup.

10 large garbage bags full of mixed stuff. That's at least 320 to 420 gallons worth.

$500 to shred properly using a purpose-built industrial shredder.

What is the cost if something isn't properly shredded using makeshift methods and a client finds out?

10 large garbage bags full of mixed stuff. That's at least 320 to 420 gallons worth.

$500 to shred properly using a purpose-built industrial shredder.

What is the cost if something isn't properly shredded using makeshift methods and a client finds out?

Burn after shredding.....

Burn after shredding.....

Note that he said burning is not a solution. In many areas it is illegal. Also, white paper is very difficult to burn in quantity because it contains kaolin clay. When I tried burning papers I found it needed a large ratio of wood to paper and the paper had to be fed in slowly or it choked the fire.

Average price $500
Burning not a solution

Not the same as a crosscut shredder. Even if paper doesn’t jam it the photos may. I own leaf shredders and a heavy-duty crosscut shredder. I tried and abandoned the idea of using a leaf shredder on paper after trying it and finding that instead of tiny pieces it left many larger corrugated chunks that could still be read. Document shredders have a scissor-like action that cuts rather than tears the paper.

Also, $250 on Amazon and requires hours of work plus maintenance. $500 to have them professionally shredded and hauled away.

PS: I even tried bandsawing stacks of paper before deciding commercial shredding was a bargain.

FWIW, I have a 20hp PTO driven chipper/shredder and paper doesn't work at all. It gets flat across the screen and stays there mostly untouched. That said, its older technology.

When the state was offering free shredding once a month they didn't care about anything except plastic bags
Covid shut that program down

Burning in DE has to be under very controlled conditions to be considered legal, I don't I could hide the smoke

I think I'll guilt my sister into doing the separating

$500 plus sorting time... you might take it to the countryside.. call the nearest fire department and tell them you need to burn something and have a nice outing to save $500.

Farmers actually burn a field as is needed for farming. City people haven't a clue of what goes on outside the city.

You can ask most farmers about burning a field and they will tell the same.
Burning off the Pasture, Getting it ready for seed. - YouTube

When the state was offering free shredding once a month they didn't care about anything except plastic bags
Covid shut that program down

Burning in DE has to be under very controlled conditions to be considered legal, I don't I could hide the smoke

I think I'll guilt my sister into doing the separating

Unless your in a suburban neighborhood, and have a "Chimenea".....hypo-crites all.
No one has a woodstove or fireplace ?

Last edited:
Average price $500
Burning not a solution

These guys seem to take anything FAQs: Shredding Services & Information Security Questions | Shred-it United States

They also have a Wilmington branch

Paper Shredding Aston & Document Destruction Aston | Shred-it United States

Back