What's new
What's new

OT Documenting setups with video

BobM3

Cast Iron
I'd like to record (audio and video) the procedures I've been using for different parts I set up and run. I thought maybe a GoPro would work. I was thinking I'd strap it to my head so my hands are free. I'd comment along the way. Does a GoPro do some sort of autofocus? Is there a way to ensure that what I'm doing is somewhat centered in the the video frame? Is there a video editing program so I can cut out the boring stuff? Is normal shop light enough or do I need to buy some portable lights?

I would try mounting my cell phone and use it first. There are some nice, cheap, compact cell phone vacuum mounts that would be handy. Normal shop light should work fine and I don't know much else.

I have not tried it myself so can't give actual brand names but when I see people making their own YouTube videos a lot of time they will have a POV camera on their hat and it shows what is being filmed on their phone so they can get it all framed correctly. I assume that would make it a bluetooth POV camera. Sorry I don't know specific brands.

"Action Cams", of which Go Pro are one, will do a decent job set up automatically, as long as what you're looking at is within their focus distance. They are high-enough quality that you can later zoom in and see reasonable detail... if you also stay reasonably still. This is the tough part.

If you can't do it in one take, you might try recording your explanation on your phone, as you do it, then playing that back and shooting the video to go with it/illustrate the details. Then put the two together and the end, with pauses/highlights as needed for clarification.

Are you just recording for your own records, or do you intend to publish on youtube?

The problem with a person-mounted camera is that watching the video can be nausea-inducing from all the camera motion. For recording mechanical things, a tripod-mounted camera is likely to be far more practical.

You may also benefit from some studio lights, and the depth of field increases if there is more light.

Having made a couple GoPro videos just for fun it has fantastic resolution when you get it on the big PC screen. Don't be fooled by the tiny thing on the device. They make head straps and chest straps.

Where I fall short is editing, there's an amazing amount of editing possibilities that my kids have shown me, I lack the interest it seems.

I think in another 20 years its going to replace what will be by then antiquated job instructions of still pictures and text.

Thanks all! I borrowed a GoPro from my friend and I'm satisfied with that. There's bouncing around but that's o.k. - I'm not going to publish the videos. These are just for internal documentation.

Back