What's new
What's new

OT: Dodge Diesel Clutch Problems on New Trucks?

Davis In SC

Diamond
I have been "Pre-Shopping" for a new Dodge 3500 Diesel. I really prefer a six speed manual transmission. The dealers try to discourage me from buying a manual transmission. Yesterday, I was out of town, and stopped at several dealerships.. One dealer told me that I could expect to replace clutches every 5,000 miles, and that the warranty only covers one clutch repair for only one year/12K miles. This sounds crazy! Anyone have experience with manual trans on these trucks from the last few years?

I have been "Pre-Shopping" for a new Dodge 3500 Diesel. I really prefer a six speed manual transmission. The dealers try to discourage me from buying a manual transmission. Yesterday, I was out of town, and stopped at several dealerships.. One dealer told me that I could expect to replace clutches every 5,000 miles, and that the warranty only covers one clutch repair for only one year/12K miles. This sounds crazy! Anyone have experience with manual trans on these trucks from the last few years?

Thats Bull Shit. There is a lot not to like about Dodge trucks but the clutch is not an issue. I know someone that has 50,000 on a 1 year old one. Original clutch. My brother is on his 3rd trans, 2 5 speeds then he put a 6 speed in it. Same clutch, 150,000 miles on it.

One dealer told me that I could expect to replace clutches every 5,000 miles,

That guys is so full of crap I can't even believe he'd have the audacity to say that.

The original clutch in the Dodge 2500 got over 200k miles, then Dad got 120k miles out of the second. He put a 4 puck ceramic clutch in it thinking it was better, it wasn't, horribly grabby and only lasted 50k miles. (YMMV, etc..)

I just put the 3rd clutch in this truck at 370,000 miles, I fully expect it to last at-least 100k-200k miles and that's stop and go city driving mostly.

Even though that's an older truck, you should expect similar life.

I got to see the flywheel/clutch assembly out of an newer Dodge recently (10 year old truck). The flywheel is one use only, not resurfaceable, with a slip/vibration dampener system built in, but normal looking clutch, pressure plate and throw-out bearing. IIRC, parts for the clutch job in that truck were almost $2000 and 10 hours or so labor.

Know any mechanics? Guys that working on these trucks professionally, talk to them about what's involved with working on them.

Yes, I cannot believe a dealer would tell that... Perhaps to sell an automatic, since they had no manuals in stock???
My 2001 3500 has 140K and clutch is still good... I did replace the master/slave cylinder at 100K... A friend has a 2005, and hauls huge trailers of scrap... He tortures a truck, and his clutch lasted 170K.

Perhaps to sell an automatic, since they had no manuals in stock???

DING DING we have a winner. Why sell what the customer asked for in a month when you could sell the customer something they don't TODAY?!?!??!!

It'd be a cold day in hell I spend my hard earned money on something with 2 pedals and a guarantee to leave you stranded on the side of the road with no warning one day.

I just sold my 2004 3500 dually that I bought new. It has been the best truck that I have ever owned. It has a 6 sp. When I got the truck there was a high RPM vibration that I could feel in the clutch. I wasn't happy with it, so I took it all apart and made a flywheel adaptor on my 18x54 L&S. I mounted everything and spun it up. The only problem I found was a slightly misshaped throw out lever. Everything else appeared fine, but the factory gave me a new replacement anyway. The clutch is 13" diameter and very heavy duty. I put 200,000 miles on that clutch and it was as good as new when I sold it. Clutch consumption is a product of use. If you drive correctly, it will last forever. The newer models have gone to the dual mass flywheels and solid unsprung clutch plates, as most diesel manufacturers have done, to better compensate for the low speed velocity change of the crankshaft, which is a characteristic of all diesel engines. You can definitely feel the difference. DMFs really work well. Some DMFs are rebuildable, some are not, but if you don't abuse the clutch the flywheel won't be an issue either.

I have a 2013 RAM 2500 with a 6.7 6spd with 50K miles. Frequently trailering 10,000lbs+ with it. I also taught my wife clutch operation on the truck and I'm hard on the clutch. Zero issues.

Another friend has a 2014 3500 with a 6.7 6spd and he replaced his clutch at 65K miles. But....He has a 14K lb trailer attached to it every day.

No crazy reports of premature clutch failures on the Ram/Cummins forums I am on. I also want to report I have never had a regen on my truck so I think in some ways, running a clutch in these trucks is better for keeping the smog system cleaned out.

If and when the clutch goes, it might cost about $800 to put a nice aftermarket clutch in and you will be just fine.

On the flip side, rebuilding one of the autos and cost north of $5K and frequently happens above 150K miles. I'll take a clutch going every 65K miles @ $800 a crack.... Thinking of the Aisin Tranny @ a $3500 upgrade (if memory serves me right)? Yes you get all the HP/Torque they offer in that engine, but they retard the programming so that you don't constanly break the tires loose when you press the fuel pedal. Major turn off for me especially if I need what my engine has but the ECM won't give it to me.

FWIW - Check out Kernersville Dodge in North Carolina. I'm in Ohio and I won't buy a ram anywhere else. NO ONE can touch their prices except Dave Smith over in Idaho. Its better to pick up if you can, but wait to sign papers until after you have recevied it. I had zero issues while a friend bought one and there were a couple minor body issues from transit that took a while to sort out. Hes a perfectionist with his trucks though.

DING DING we have a winner. Why sell what the customer asked for in a month when you could sell the customer something they don't TODAY?!?!??!!

It'd be a cold day in hell I spend my hard earned money on something with 2 pedals and a guarantee to leave you stranded on the side of the road with no warning one day.
1/3 of the automatics I've owned in life have had tranny issues that left me stranded. If it doesn't have a stick, I won't buy it.

Thats Bull Shit. There is a lot not to like about Dodge trucks but the clutch is not an issue. I know someone that has 50,000 on a 1 year old one. Original clutch. My brother is on his 3rd trans, 2 5 speeds then he put a 6 speed in it. Same clutch, 150,000 miles on it.

what the tranny he is using now? An NV4500? Thats the only shame with these Rams manual transimissions is that the transimissions are considered light duty. If my 6spd fails I'll put a really tranny in it.

I have never heard of such nonsense. I suppose if someone did not know how to drive they might get 5,000 miles out of a clutch... Maybe the new models have a serious flaw. If that is the case I would expect some sort of recall and updated parts. From what I have gathered for the used dodge market (Cummins diesel) the manual transmission trucks are much more desirable. I looked into buying one but the used diesel truck market is sky high right now. I ended up buying a 6.0 with an auto just because I got a really good deal on it. I would think a Cummins with a stick is the best power train option.

One dealer told me that I could expect to replace clutches every 5,000 miles, and that the warranty only covers one clutch repair for only one year/12K miles. This sounds crazy! Anyone have experience with manual trans on these trucks from the last few years?

A "dealer" told you? Or one of the sales guys told you that?
I wonder how Dodge corporate feels about dealers or their sales guys spewing such bullshit to potential customers and making their product sound like a pile of junk. At 5000 miles the guy's not even sounding remotely believable. 25,000 would be slightly more believable.

what the tranny he is using now? An NV4500? Thats the only shame with these Rams manual transimissions is that the transimissions are considered light duty. If my 6spd fails I'll put a really tranny in it.

No idea. I know some nut fell off on one of the 5 speeds and that is what lunched one of them, He drags a giant living quarters horse trailer around with it. When the first 5 speed pitched he was over a thousand miles from home with the trailer and horses and 2500 miles out of warranty. Dodge said too bad, so sad, you loose. The Dodge dealer that it was towed to robbed him on the repair. 3600.00 for a junkyard tranny. He was PISSED!

No idea. I know some nut fell off on one of the 5 speeds and that is what lunched one of them, He drags a giant living quarters horse trailer around with it. When the first 5 speed pitched he was over a thousand miles from home with the trailer and horses and 2500 miles out of warranty. Dodge said too bad, so sad, you loose. The Dodge dealer that it was towed to robbed him on the repair. 3600.00 for a junkyard tranny. He was PISSED!

I had a '99 2500 4x4 dodge, gas engine, and 5th gear would make a noise like a loose bearing race, outside temp.
would change it.

Same tranny in the diesel, had this "5th gear nut fall off the back" problem, however dodge claimed
the gas version didn't suffer it.

Horse trailer....neighbor had a "bloomers" horse/sleeping quarters mammoth trailer, found out they sell
for $250k. However, my neighbor towed it with a freightliner, fl-70 IIRc, downsized for weight.

So what is Ford, and Chevy doing ? I don't hear of these problems with them.

Behind the Diesel engine Dodge uses the G-56 tranny, made by Mercedes-Benz (6 speed)

All this thread should remind us about is that car salesmen are close to the lowest form of life, right above politicians and lawyers. But still a bit below snakes, leeches, and the French.

Because of the amount of low end torque a Diesel has, it would not surprise me if clutch failures are more common. Not saying properly driven it would not last a long time. Friend has a 96 Cummins auto and it has a few minor tranny issues at 200k.

I recently bought a new RAM 1500 truck even though I don't trust long term reliability. I purchased a lifetime unlimited mile factory warranty that covers pretty much everything with a $200 delectable since we plan to keep it a long time. With a little searching I found dealers online selling factory warranties for a huge discount. I paid $2700 for a factory warranty that the dealer wanted well over $4000 for. I gave the dealer the factory part number for the warranty and said if they wanted to match the price I would buy it. They bitched about the low price but sold it to me for $2700.

Now my wife has her dream truck and I don't really care what happens because it is covered. I absolutely love the truck. I even get to drive it once and a while.

I think and my opinions only worth what you pay, ...most modern big pickup truck problems are caused by folk driving them as if they were cars, (some even racing cars) ......and not as workhorse commercial vehicles.

No sane commercial vehicle driver tries to drive a fully loaded truck like the family car,.......or if he did, he would soon come unstuck BIG TIME.

I think and my opinions only worth what you pay, ...most modern big pickup truck problems are caused by folk driving them as if they were cars, (some even racing cars) ......and not as workhorse commercial vehicles.

No sane commercial vehicle driver tries to drive a fully loaded truck like the family car,.......or if he did, he would soon come unstuck BIG TIME.

And then turning them so they pour smoke and make 5000hp doesn't help these very complicated engines.

I think that was the big problem with the 6.0

Back