OT: Does anyone have a foolproof method to feed a dog pills?
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default OT: Does anyone have a foolproof method to feed a dog pills?

My dog 'Bella' can find a single pill in the center of a hunk of roast beef and promptly spit only the pill out. I've tried pill pockets and they don't fool her either. Does anyone have a tried and true method of getting a pill into a pet?:

Stuart

copy-lapdog.jpg

2. Likes jackal liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A dog bites with the bottom jaw. I grab the bottom jaw with my thumb under the tongue, they naturally open their mouth then just push the pill past the tongue.

Brent

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Having had 20+ dogs over the last 25 years that needed meds given I found peanut butter works well.Also try liverwurst . But give the dog the PB without anything in it a few times to get her use to the treat sans pill.And use a fairly large gob so she will be busy licking and swallowing to not notice the pill.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dogs-008.jpg  

5. Likes DavidScott, Monarchist, Sea Farmer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Greenies "Pill Pockets"

7. Likes Monarchist liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The method we used with our large dogs was to have them sit, tilt their head back, pull their jaw down, and poke the pill into the back of their throat, past the tongue.

This of course, relies upon that you and your dog are on pretty good terms.

We have had good luck with process cheese slices and peanut butter as carriers too. Having another dog waiting to get it seems to help convince the dog to gulp it down too.

Good Luck!

Cheers
    Trev

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My dog was very sick last year and required multiple pills a day. They were impossible to get the dog to take them no matter what you hid them in. Hidden in a big chunk of meat he could detect them and spit them out. My wife and I tried everything. The only thing that finally worked to was to grind the pills up in a mortar and pestle and to mix it with food so it was so little the dog had nothing to spit out and had a much harder time tasting them. What ever is your dogs most favorite treat is what to try. This became a big pain in the ass doing this multiple times a day, but the dog survived and still with us today. Cheese was what we found worked best. The pill pockets were a waste of money.

10. Likes moonlight machine, Monarchist liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My dog (pit bull) will not eat her heartworm pill, even if crushed up and mixed with ham, rice, chicken, etc. I have to push it down her throat with my index and middle finger, then hold her mouth shut until she swallows it.

If I don't get it partway down her gullet, she will slosh it around in her mouth until its a foamy mess and leaks out of her mouth, which I'm holding shut.

There is just no other way with the heartworm pill, she hates it and knows the taste. She is extremely stubborn. Thank goodness it's only once a month.

12. Likes bryan_machine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I just put the pill in a piece of cheese and it's soon gone...

14. Likes Sea Farmer liked this post
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've seen some dogs do that.
    My dog would take pulls pressed into the middle of cheese.
    I kept cheese as a treat for nail trimming only so it was "special"

Ask the vet if it can be crushed some pills can, some can't.

If yes, then mix it up with peanut butter, or yogurt, cheese wiz...whatever.

16. Likes Sea Farmer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I found a piece of hot dog with the pill pushed inside

18. Likes Monarchist liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Pull the animals head as far back as is comfortable by grabbing around the sides of the top jaw, and they will open their mouth far enough to give you a straight shot down their throat. I like to follow the pill with at shot of water from a syringe to make sure they swallow. You can also get a 'vetrinary pill popper' to make things easier. Soft Tip Pet Piller|Dog Medication Dispensing Supplies from DrsFosterSmith.com

20. Likes Machines!, Monarchist liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Place pill on back of tongue, dog will swallow. Why make it complicated.

22. Likes dcsipo liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you go with cheese Munster is what I use. It is nice and soft so you can make a cheese ball with the pill inside. If just poking it down her through is not an option then try all of the ideas above and rotate the ones that work. We have used Munster cheese, peanut butter, tortillas, and sliced turkey. Use whatever you are using for the pill as treats when they are given to get her used to it, and imprint on her brain that she likes getting whatever treat it is. Also if possible give before feeding instead of after.

24. Likes Monarchist liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Peanut butter can work if you insist on coating it.

Otherwise lift their jowl up and then shove your hand into the side gap of their jaw forcing them to open their mouth, then just shove it into the rear of their mouth. If they're a spitter, then immediately follow it up with a cookie in their mouth, that way it forces them to swallow if they want that treat.

It's a good ideal when they're younger to teach them to gently take placebo pills. That way when they do need pills, it's not such an ordeal.

26. Likes Monarchist, Philabuster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnEvans View Post
    Having had 20+ dogs over the last 25 years that needed meds given I found peanut butter works well.Also try liverwurst . But give the dog the PB without anything in it a few times to get her use to the treat sans pill.And use a fairly large gob so she will be busy licking and swallowing to not notice the pill.
    This is the only method we've been successfully with on all of our dogs. The smell of peanut butter seems to overwhelm their senses. You can hide the most awful tasting foul smelling pill in a gob of peanut butter and it'll disappear in seconds.

The opening of the mouth and pushing the pill past the tongue only works some of the time. Other times you get an unhappy dog and a mouth full of teeth wrapped around your finger.

We had a Cocker Spaniel that hated pills. We tried everything in the book. One day we were at the vet and explained the situation. He wanted to "show us how a professional does it". The Cocker let him open her mouth and get his fingers in perfect position. Then she promptly chomped on his fingers. While the vet was shaking off the pain the pill landed on the floor. That concluded the professional demonstration.

The peanut butter always worked. I tried liverwurst one time. It was a success sorta. Everything went well until I tried to have a little myself. My wife said it wasn't a pretty picture when she came in the door and the dog and I were wrestling for the last little morsel.

28. Likes JohnEvans, Monarchist, Sea Farmer, mike 44 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Pretty much the same as everybody else. Hold their bottom jaw open stick the pill down their throat and smear a little mayonnaise on ther nose to lick off. Good luck, hope he gets better. Jonathan

30. Likes Monarchist liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I use a ball of raw hamburger, small enough for the dog to swallow whole. It helps that I give my dogs raw hamburger balls regularly as a treat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had a dog who loved popcorn, especially the cheddar cheese flavor. We would toss pieces to her, and she would snatch them out of the air and swallow. Three or four pieces of popcorn, and then the pill. Gone!

33. Likes Monarchist, Philabuster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No more pill pushing down the throat.
    Small balls of bread tossed like a treat in quick succession. Last one has the pill
    as the dog can't wait for the next one.
    Our dogs are Labs and fed once a day in the morning.
    When it is pill time in the evening there is no hesitation.
    If the pill is found then reboot.
    John

35. Likes Sea Farmer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Dog treating is easy...you say "hey, catch"...and they take it

Quit calling it a pill.

For stubborn or anorexic dogs, sit on counter, grab top of mouth immediately behind two k9 teeth from the top, quickly stretch head back opening mouth. With pill in other hand, between thumb and forefinger, insert in mouth such that your hand is slimy and index finger is used such that it actually pushes pill further down throat.

It should all be done prior to the dog realizing it's on the counter.

If your dog bites your hand, shoot yourself...cause you raised a dog that doesn't understand where it's food comes from.