What's new
What's new

OT- Does anyone make a stainless steel paint that actually looks like SS ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
As in aerosol cans forum for touchups. Rustoleum makes one that looks nice enough but is pretty far from looking like actual polished stainless. Any other brands that match closer ?

While on the subject, anyone found an aerosol that looks close the mat finish chrome steel ?

What a great idea! All this time I have buying all that expensive 316, when I could have just used 1018 and sprayed on stainless paint! Where can I get it? :drool5:

(BTW, my customers won't be able to tell the difference, will they?)

the only stainless-containing paint i've used looked more pewter/bronze than nickel/chrome. for the shiny
stuff i've used the zinc-rich or aluminum based primers-they are silver looking -actually intended to protect the base metal- so maybe not as pretty as what krylon sells.

i don't recall the brand offhand - from the local industrial supply store...not ace hardware.

Milacron: Do you mean Rustoleum "chrome" paint? It comes as close as any I've seen,at least for model work. That Eastwood stuff linked to above is probably good,too. Costs a lot more than the Rustolium. They must grind the aluminum pigments very,very fine for the "chrome" paint.

It doesn't look as shiny as real chrome,of course,but better than other "silver" paints.

Eastwood makes a chrome paint:

Almost Chrome Aerosol Paint

Can't vouch for the quality, as we don't run it. They might also make a stainless one.

ECJ
Suspect their "almost chrome" looks exactly like "chrome" spray...they are just being more honest that it doesn't actually look like real chrome. I have some "chrome" spray and it looks even less like stainless than the Rustoleum stainless spray.

I don't see any stainless spray at Eastwood...which makes sense as one rarely if ever sees stainless on a car. They do have spray to mimic cast aluminum, which might be investing for some applications I have had in the past, but not this one.

Their 2 part aerosol sprays are a cool idea except I suspect they are only good for situations where you use up the whole can in one sitting.

Milacron: Do you mean Rustoleum "chrome" paint? It comes as close as any I've seen,at least for model work. That Eastwood stuff linked to above is probably good,too. Costs a lot more than the Rustolium. They must grind the aluminum pigments very,very fine for the "chrome" paint.
GW, did you used to work at McDonald's and when someone ordered a hamburger you then asked if they wanted cheese on that ? (to which I'm thinking "look, dumbass, if I wanted cheese on it don't you think I would have ordered a f**king CHEEESEburger ??") :stirthepot:

Yes, Rustloeum STAINLESS STEEL paint ! I've never tried Rustoleum chrome paint but yesterday tried another brand of chrome paint and it looks like crap on stainless.

Stainless Cerakote is essentially indistinguishable from matte finished stainless. I paint receivers with it and fit stainless barrels, and you really can't see any difference.

Stainless Cerakote is essentially indistinguishable from matte finished stainless. I paint receivers with it and fit stainless barrels, and you really can't see any difference.
Ah...finally.....is that a "mail order' only deal or might some local store have it in a small town ? If mail order, where to buy ?

I think for 35 bucks you get about 4 oz of coating and enough hardener to make it work. It is dramatically more economical to buy by the pint or quart.

I use the air dry stuff for touch ups like recrowned barrels, but it is nowhere near as durable as the baked on product.
I apply it with a little HVLP gun or with an airbrush.

Back