What's new
What's new

1 1/16" diameter x 10 spline

rbregn

Aluminum
I need to cut the above spline. (Ford input shaft). How do I go about figuring out what cutter I need to get? I used to have a clue about this 30 years ago, but apparently my brain decided to dump this from my memory.

Ok, lets try this again:dunce:. I guess what I would like to know is if anyone makes a cutter for this spline. Answer is yes, but what do I ask for? They are a straight sided spline OD of 1.0625 radius top and radius bottom. That is what threw me off. The minor is .750 as close as I can tell. I have searched off and on all day but everything I can find doesn't match my specs. This can't be that unusual. I could make one up with a fly cutter. But I would rather have one for my Horizontal mill and indexing head. The time savings would be worth it for me.

Gang two saws ,with a spacer in between equal to your needed spline width....if you have a big collection of arbor shims,then use a pack of them to suit......If you look at older clutch shaft spline ,this is how they were cut.....but often there is a relief of the sharp edge,which I used to do with a hand held grinder.

Tell us more. How wide flat to flat?

For comparison, a ten spline FEMALE S.A.E for 1 1/16 O.D. would have these dimensions (interpolated from 1" and 1 1/8") in Machinery's Handbook

1.0625 / 1.0615 O.D.
.8595 Minor Dia (sliding fit under load)
.164 / .166 width

Ok, lets try this again:dunce:. I guess what I would like to know is if anyone makes a cutter for this spline. Answer is yes, but what do I ask for? They are a straight sided spline OD of 1.0625 radius top and radius bottom. That is what threw me off. The minor is .750 as close as I can tell. I have searched off and on all day but everything I can find doesn't match my specs. This can't be that unusual. I could make one up with a fly cutter. But I would rather have one for my Horizontal mill and indexing head. The time savings would be worth it for me.

Ash Gear and Supply shows a page of 10 spline parallel single cutters in their catalog.

they list 1.000 and 1.125 major diameters, no 1.0625.

You will need additional information such as " key width".

Call them. They are probably the only people that can tell you if what you need is available.

Back