What's new
What's new

OT - Ebay Global Shipping and Restricted Items?

dalmatiangirl61

Diamond
Does anyone here have insight into what falls into the Restricted Items category for Ebay Global Shipping? I sold a couple of Iwaki pumps this morning to a customer in Italy, shipping for International buyers is listed as Global Shipping, but it wants me to send an invoice for shipping. Called ebay and they tell me it is a restricted item so it cannot go thru the Global Shipping center. I've looked thru ebay restricted categories and don't think it applies. I have shipped many in the past without this issue. Buyer says he can see the Global Shipping option on all my other listings, but not this one. I think its a plain jane little pump with endless applications and sold worldwide, but maybe there is something I don't know that makes it special? The ad in question Iwaki Direct Drive Pump RD-20CV24-05 12-24VDC 15LPM FREE SHIPPING | eBay

Hmmm, they only know what you tell them, is it possible you listed it in some way that makes it seem like nuke plant parts?

Is ebay shipping a deal or can you just go through usps.com or [as I learned here] pirateship.com

Hmmm, they only know what you tell them, is it possible you listed it in some way that makes it seem like nuke plant parts?

Is ebay shipping a deal or can you just go through usps.com or [as I learned here] pirateship.com

I don't think so, but getting a definitive answer from the call center probably is not going to happen either. Called them twice, first one directed me to ebay page here Global Shipping Program | eBay they are in Business & Industrial category, but not heavy equipment, attachments or website and business. Second call to call center and they said it was either restricted from export, or possibly restricted from import to Italy, but that there was nothing wrong with the ad or category it was in. I purchased them from a medical device company that was going under, they were using them to pump water/coolant for a medical laser, but I do not think they were made specifically for that application.

I could ship them directly to Italy, but I don't want to get in hot water. With Global Shipping as long as it gets to warehouse in Kentucky I know its a done deal sale. Shipping direct you may or may not get tracking and all a buyer has to say is that they did not receive it, then ebay will claw back purchase price and shipping costs, leaving me in the red. Another benefit of the Global Shipping program is that they do the export paperwork.

I have noticed in the past that some eBay sellers refuse to send anything to Italy because of uncertain delivery or fraud. Is it worth whatever eBay gives you out of a $75 sale to go through this much aggravation?

Using PayPal shipping to send a box by Priority Mail is easy, even if the destination is outside the USA. I have found that PayPal may cost less than using the USPS website.

I have sent a number of Priority Mail packages to Norway and England and they all eventually got delivered in good shape. But sometimes they took weeks more than the usual 10-14 days. I think one box to Norway went to New Zealand for a couple weeks with a side trip to Dubai or some unlikely place and back to New Zealand before finally making it to the buyer. Nerve-wracking experience.

Larry

I have noticed in the past that some eBay sellers refuse to send anything to Italy because of uncertain delivery or fraud. Is it worth whatever eBay gives you out of a $75 sale to go through this much aggravation?

Using PayPal shipping to send a box by Priority Mail is easy, even if the destination is outside the USA. I have found that PayPal may cost less than using the USPS website.

I have sent a number of Priority Mail packages to Norway and England and they all eventually got delivered in good shape. But sometimes they took weeks more than the usual 10-14 days. I think one box to Norway went to New Zealand for a couple weeks with a side trip to Dubai or some unlikely place and back to New Zealand before finally making it to the buyer. Nerve-wracking experience.

Larry

Viewed as a singular sale, no, but they have been a steady seller for 3 years, and there is still more. For the past 6 months, if it were not for the Int buyers, I would have no sales. This issue did arise a few months back on this item, but it was a mid eastern country, I figured it was just a destination problem on that one. Only other time I had a problem was an order for pneumatic cylinders to Australia, they made it to warehouse in Kentucky then ebay cancelled the sale, told me to keep proceeds and refunded the buyer, they would not return the cylinders to me. After numerous phone calls they finally directed me to Australian prohibited imports and cited "used compressed gas cylinder" prohibition, I tried explaining difference between a compressed gas cylinder and a pneumatic cylinder, it fell on deaf ears.

cancel, relist as a fish tank pump and have your customer reorder, then try again. Or ship in a medium flat rate box using USPS click and ship and take the hit for the difference in price. My international shipments are taking a huge amount of extra time these days but ARE eventually arriving.

Larry

Huh, I have had generally very good luck Ebay Global Shipping Program. Shipping to the Kentucky location is generally cheap, and for the most part once Kentucky receives your item their it is of no concern to you.

I am currently in the middle of my first hiccup with the program. The destination of the item was...Italy. It was a Weller hot air soldering setup. Prior to shipping I informed the buy that this system may not work on 230V. I actually held off shipping until I heard back, which the response was that it is okay. Well, today I get a message that the buyer is requesting a return and the item doesn't power up. What are the odds the buyer went ahead and plugged it into 230v. It has the standard IEC connector for a cord on the back.

After numerous phone calls they finally directed me to Australian prohibited imports and cited "used compressed gas cylinder" prohibition, I tried explaining difference between a compressed gas cylinder and a pneumatic cylinder, it fell on deaf ears.
Probably just a poorly-written import restriction - we have had to be careful how to describe a bunch of stuff shipped from China but at least the post office here tells us and even helps circumvent the regs (e.g., for some reason you can't ship computers - Dell bought off the export dep't ? - but the post office suggests take out the mainboard or power supply, put in one box then send as two items, "electronic parts" and "computer case". Okay); then on imports, China won't allow pressure vessels (probably someone's imported compressor tank blew up), so if there's any air tanks on incoming machines we stick "30wt straight viscosity lube oil only" labels on. Maybe remove any obvious air fittings. Customs isn't real smart so unless it's super-obvious, you can slip by.

Just think of something nondescript to call the parts and resell. Maybe have two listings, one for the real thing so people can find you and one for the bogus shipping label :)

The paperwork is really simple, btw. For small items you can easily do yourself.

Back