What's new
What's new

OT: Ebay raising Final Value Fees since they are not going to use PayPal anymore.

Spud

Diamond
Had a long talk with Ebay customer service. With their new managed accounts, the buyer can deposit the money straight into the seller's bank account. So I though I could save the PayPal 2.9% fee levied on the cost of the item+shipping. But there is no saving, infact the seller is going to pay more !

I have a basic subscription, about $27.95 a month. Usually the FVF is about 10%, for the Business and Industrial items I sold. With my susbscription the FVF came to about 7%. Now Ebay tells me , even with the subscription the FVF is 11.5% . So about 1.6% more than what I was paying using PayPal.

By what flight of fantasy did we think any new eBay policy would be good for either the buyer or the seller? The only reason they change anything is to increase their profits.

jack vines

They pretty much just added what a person saves in Paypal fees to the final value cost. Anyone remember when E-bay charged 5% and didn't charge commission on shipping charges? Can people still buy using Paypal? E-bay has steadily raised fees while provider poorer and poorer customer service. I can't believe no one has substantially cut into their revenue.

They pretty much just added what a person saves in Paypal fees to the final value cost. Anyone remember when E-bay charged 5% and didn't charge commission on shipping charges? Can people still buy using Paypal? E-bay has steadily raised fees while provider poorer and poorer customer service. I can't believe no one has substantially cut into their revenue.

I wonder why Bidspotter, Proxibid, GoDove and Ritchie Bros never launched a mainstream bidding platform to compete with Ebay?

I wonder why Bidspotter, Proxibid, GoDove and Ritchie Bros never launched a mainstream bidding platform to compete with Ebay?

Once that platform starts to compete slightly Ebay buys it With or without Bidspotter Proxibid Godove and Ritchie Bros all together
They already bought several platforms I know of here in Europe

Peter

How long until Ebay gets political like Facebook, twitter and amazon, etc?

Not sure what you mean, but at least buying on Facebook is still between the seller and buyer, much like here. Paypal, check, FB pay, etc...

What is political about Amazon? I rarely shop there, I don't do Facebook or Twitter.

Need to come out from under your rock once in a while.... Sorry...

Me as a buyer on ebay, I'm getting tired of all the used shop stuff being listed with a nearly new "buy it now" price. And people out there bidding nearly new prices on stuff that start at 9.99 or less. Yes, I know for the seller that's what they want and ebay sits back and grins big for the commissions they make. What can I say, I'm cheap!

What is political about Amazon? I rarely shop there, I don't do Facebook or Twitter.

Any reason for not shopping Amazon? I know everyone bitches about China blah blah, but man, for commodity goods (I do 3d printing now, need sanding goods, paints, brushes, etc) they are damn hard to beat...

What's political about Amazon? They are a heavy backer of the Democrats. One hand washes the other.

This sort of thread reminds me of my gut reaction whenever I hear someone (almost always in a business setting) start in with the old line of wisdom, "The only sure thing in life is change. The only thing that matters is how you react to it..."

That is always offered as sage advice, and it goes without saying that it's a profound truth.

But....I can't help but notice it is always being spouted by someone who has already secured their position relative to the change as one who comes out on top. I've never heard anyone say that while they were the ones getting screwed. Hmmmm....

I've never heard anyone say that while they were the ones getting screwed. Hmmmm....

I hear that phrase very often as well as "don't worry, it can always get worse no matter how bad it is"... And it's usually someone sucking shit that's saying it.

Any reason for not shopping Amazon? I know everyone bitches about China blah blah, but man, for commodity goods (I do 3d printing now, need sanding goods, paints, brushes, etc) they are damn hard to beat...

I always like brick and mortar stores, I also prefer mom and pop outfits to big box stores. You pay more, but the customer service is a lot better. Most stuff I order online cannot be found in reasonable driving distance. There isn't a real machine shop supply store in this whole state. Last thing I bought on Amazon was Thinbit, I asked for a distributor and they told me to just use Amazon.

I don't have a lot of love for brick and mortar stores unless they've proven themselves.

Most places - I don't care what kind of store it is - are staffed by dummies, the lazy, and the 'I just started here and don't know anything'. I walk in the door and make a beeline to some random aisle just to avoid the workers.

I can't believe no one has substantially cut into their revenue.

-Ebay has most of the useful software patented. There's basically no way you can launch an auction site, and damn few direct-sales sites, that don't infringe on an eBay patent. And they have massively deep pockets- even if you have something that may eventually win in court, they'll just bankrupt you with litigation to keep you from getting a foothold.

Same reason you won't see a successful Facebook competitor, or Twitter, etc. Basically everything is patented, and it'll be decades before enough patents run out that a competitor will be viable.

Doc.

-Ebay has most of the useful software patented. There's basically no way you can launch an auction site, and damn few direct-sales sites, that don't infringe on an eBay patent. And they have massively deep pockets- even if you have something that may eventually win in court, they'll just bankrupt you with litigation to keep you from getting a foothold.
There ya go. That's the point to their 'patents'. Nothing they have is patentable but they do have lawyers. Unless you are at least as big and plan to live to 150, forget it.

Dualkit said:
What is political about Amazon?
One of the guys who changes the oil in their leased cars voted for a Democrat in 1973.

Bad Amazon. Bad bad.

Same reason you won't see a successful Facebook competitor, or Twitter, etc. Basically everything is patented, and it'll be decades before enough patents run out that a competitor will be viable.

Doc.

The Ebay patents should have run out by now. Patents expire in what , like 20 years? Ebay hasn't changed much since the 90s.

Patents can be extended, in certain circumstances, and other patents for similar software can be filed.It's not a case of there's one patent for "an ebay like website", there's literally thousands of patents for eBay alone, that cover just about everything going on in the background.

All the cell phone companies have to license patented tech to each other- Google has to license Apple patents and vice-versa, or nobody's phone will work.

And given as fast and as often as the tech gets modernized- that is, they force you to buy a new phone- there will never be a time when those patents technically run out.

Doc.

^^^^

And this, unfortunately shows how the patent system doesn't always help industry. FRAND requirements for many software patents should be the default, if patents are to be permitted on softare at all.

Back