What's new
What's new

OT... The end of Blue Jeans

Status
Not open for further replies.

nt1953

Hot Rolled
I guess I started wearing blue jeans about the time I started kindergarten. I will not say that they are the only pants that I ever wore, because there was a time in my high school days that I wore some polyester, and a time when I taught school or worked at NASA that I wore khakis while I was at work. Even now I occasionally wear something besides jeans to the odd occasion, but over most of my remembered life, I have worn blue jeans.

Over the last year I went on a diet and lost 50-60lbs, so several times I ended up having to buy smaller clothes. However, I was dismayed to discover that Levi, Wrangler, Lee, and Carhartt as well as most store brands are all now producing, almost exclusively, jeans that they refer to as Stretch or Flex and that they not only admit to but brag about their Spandex blends! What happened to 100% cotton denim?

I know that I may be considered a dinosaur by some, and I still use manual machine tools, still wear a wrist watch, still prefer a desktop computer, and I cannot imagine trusting a self driving car, but I think wearing Spandex may involve more progress than I can endure.

I can’t but wonder if society has grown so soft that the even the rather benign coarseness of prewashed 100% cotton denim is now beyond endurance.

However, I was dismayed to discover that Levi, Wrangler, Lee, and Carhartt as well as most store brands are all now producing, almost exclusively, jeans that they refer to as Stretch or Flex and that they not only admit to but brag about their Spandex blends! What happened to 100% cotton denim?
Is there a Premium Outlets in your area ? Lee's (too skinny for me now) and Levi's both have stores and they have all kinds for roughly $35 a pair. Other retailers for more but never had any problem buying regular old jeans.

Can't find bellbottoms anymore tho, where's my boot-cut 32x33's ?

I stocked up (or over stocked) on 100% cotton jeans and T shirts from Wally-whirled several years ago to the point my Sig-O said STOP!.
She's been telling me for a couple years now that WW does not seem to stock them anymore, but I avoid and deny and haven't even looked. Sooner than later, the "heard" that's aging and showing signs of tattering will need to be replaced. I shoulda kept buying......while I could!

I few months ago I destroyed 6 pair of Carhart jeans in a month, stupid little things that tore out knees or posterior. Did a web search for tough jeans or something and decided to go back to my roots, Levi 501 shrink to fit button fly jeans. All of the pre-washed jeans use an acid wash to soften the fibers, which maybe comfier, but also makes them less durable. I did have to order them, so far I'm a happy customer, iirc they were $54 a pair, hecho in Mexico, but still made in America:D

Edit: Note, you have to order 2" larger in waist and length, then wash in warm water, if still too large, hot water.

I few months ago I destroyed 6 pair of Carhart jeans in a month, stupid little things that tore out knees or posterior. Did a web search for tough jeans or something and decided to go back to my roots, Levi 501 shrink to fit button fly jeans. All of the pre-washed jeans use an acid wash to soften the fibers, which maybe comfier, but also makes them less durable. I did have to order them, so far I'm a happy customer, iirc they were $54 a pair, hecho in Mexico, but still made in America:D

Edit: Note, you have to order 2" larger in waist and length, then wash in warm water, if still too large, hot water.

I've been wearing 501 shrink to fit button fly Levi's since 1964. Used to be 30 X 33 but when they quit making them in San Antonio I had to go to 30 X 34. Usually last about two years. Got at least 6 that haven't been unpacked and washed squirreled away.

Take a look at Duluth Trading. Not cheap. Jeans with an extra gusset, "Ballroom" jeans. Deep pockets. Also, the coin pocket is larger than usual, allowing carry of lighter,magnifier, aaa led flashlight and case pocketknife.

I gave up on jeans a while ago, I usually wear 5.11 taclite cargo pants. They are light, have plenty of storage, and they shed liquids and stains. I've had pairs for well over 8 years and they are still good to go. They are also ripstop. They also make a full cotton version but they aren't fluid resistant.

65% polyester, do you weld in those? I prefer 100% cotton because its comfy, and won't melt to my skin.

I do weld in them, and plasma cut, and even torch cut. I don't cut often and most of the time I'm tig welding. But I have done a fair amount of mig welding in them.

And they've been under my gear in a 1200° fire simulator lol

I came to a realization at some point in life...maybe 15 or 20 years ago - that I can't stand blue jeans.

I wear shorts almost always...if I have to wear long pants that means I'm going someplace fancy which means I'll be wearing khakis or a suit. The only time I wear jeans is airline travel.

That said, in my teens we all wore jeans and it was understood universally that any portion of the jeans below the knee was fair game for use as a rag. If your hands were greasy or bloody or just wet....wipe 'em on your jeans, below the knee.

I too once shunned the blue jeans with "stretch"...but after you wear some a while, you come to appreciate the extra stretch, for sure.

Saying that, I don't wear blue jeans at the shop anymore, as I wear cotton dark blue and grey "Dockers"-type pants, found at discount-clothiers TJMaxx, Marshalls and the like for $20-$25 per pair. These pants are softer, easier to bend/reach/stretch/contort in, they don't show grime too bad, and they really stay up well around my waist.

ToolCat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back