What's new
What's new

OT - End of an Era!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwelo62

Cast Iron
toyo1.jpg
My 1992 Toyota pickup is being replaced! Hirohito's Revenge will be going to the Walmart car-park to be sold. 226 000 miles. She has been a fine truck.

226 000 miles, on a 92 Toyota?? ……….surely that's just nicely bedded in.

Believe that if your experience indicates it is so. We rebuild a lot of them which never made it that far.

The thing I find amazing is seeing those used as a motor homes chassis, hauling that load on that skinny little rear axle.

jack vines

Over here the 2.4 Litre, 2 L, 2L-II & 2L-T diesel have proved to be very long lived, …...on a par with the Nissan SD 33's longevity.

No air and the heater core is rotten. I was going to get a new engine but my wife told me that was not happening! It has developed a new noise from the engine which I cannot ID, but it still runs fine. The body is in great condition.It is a 5-speed manual and would make a great truck for a youngster.
BillD - Around here, we park vehicles at Walmart with 'For Sale' signs!

No air and the heater core is rotten. I was going to get a new engine but my wife told me that was not happening! It has developed a new noise from the engine which I cannot ID, but it still runs fine. The body is in great condition.It is a 5-speed manual and would make a great truck for a youngster.
BillD - Around here, we park vehicles at Walmart with 'For Sale' signs!

Purely out of curiosity - what's a truck like that worth your way.

Might get $1,500 around here. But there are no 1992 vehicles with a body in good condition where I live. And it's hard to sell any 2WD truck.

I am going to ask 1750 and negotiate. I saw a 2007 with 192000miles for 11 000. I buy cars on mileage not age.

I buy cars on mileage not age.

That's an outdated notion.

I'd take a 5 year old vehicle with 150,000 over a 15 year old with 50,000 miles. A modern vehicle that has been maintained can go 300,000 miles without any major repairs.

Where I live, the salt typically kills them long before any serious reliability issues crop up. Even so, my last truck had 275,000 on the clock before someone wrecked it for me. The wife's rig has 210,000 and going strong.

My 1991 Explorer Sport has over 305,000 miles and still runs fine. The suspension and steering is getting sloppy though.
It's been mainly a snow vehicle, or used to tow medium loads when necessary, so not used much for the past decade. Rust has started to peek through on the rockers though.

I just replaced it with a neighbor's 1999 Explorer Sport because the dealer didn't want to give her much on trade. I got it for $1,500. The interior is very good, paint is nice and shiny, and every accessory works. At 205,000 miles it has a new transmission and battery and good tires, so I feel it was a good deal at that price.

My old 2004 Focus has 275,000 and still runs as strong as ever. I don't baby it either, but it's still on the original clutch, and the oil level never moves in a 10,000 mile change interval. I'm kind of curious to see just how long it will keep going, but rust will probably kill it too before the drivetrain goes. :angry:

Most modern vehicles can last a very long time with proper maintenance.

I would agree on the mechanical side of new vehicles. It is the electronic everything else I fear.

I have a 2006 diesel Courier (Ranger),and there is not a spot of rust in it....In fact they are really good for rust now ,as the makers are forced to guarantee 5 years no rust,and consequently under cover parked vehicles dont rust.My greatest fear now is green diesel hate,and all the hokey emissions tests that greens and millenials want for older diesels.Otherwise,I see no reason it wont outlast the previous Courier 1986-2006 with 400,000kms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back