What's new
What's new

OT Engine Block Heater

byawor

Hot Rolled
Probably a subject many here are unfamiliar with but where I live they are mandatory. Question, has anyone seen a control that would turn off when engine reaches a preset temp and then back on as it falls ie a thermostat for the block heater. Only thing I see are timers, turn on at preset time and off. They are a pain for reasons I won't go into
Bob

I have had quite a few things over the years that needed this type of simple control. You could do it a bunch of different ways but the easiest I have found is to put a line voltage thermostat on it and be done with it. WW Grainger sells them very reasonably and they usually have a remote bulb sensor with a generous amount of tubing which you can either use or not use. If you don't need the remote feature then just leave the tubing coiled up as they come. You can wire them up very simply to a standard duplex receptacle and then just plug in whatever you are trying to control. Heater,fan etc.

Aftermarket electric fans have adjustable thermostats, I've had one with a bulb that slipped into the top radiator hose between the hose and the outlet neck under the hose clamp. It's switch is just dry contacts, could be connected to a 120v relay.

I've never seen one that controlled based on engine temperature. It would not be all that difficult to implement. But if all you need is freeze protection and easier cold weather starts, enabling disabling the heater based on air temperature is a trivial exercise. I use a stat that trips at 40F to control the fire bottle (AFF) heater on my race car

The line voltage thermo would work but I think mounting the bulb would be a problem. I doubt the the block would get warm enough to turn off if mounted externally. Could it ever be properly sealed if mounted in the water jacket, heater hose or even the oil pan ?

IIRC the "lower radiator hose" 300 watt model I used had such a thermostat.

The 1500 watt tank type on my tractor does not.

The main problem I see is the thermostat not ever being satisfied, the
radiator, block, and other iron will dis-appate it too fast.

That's not a 'problem'. That's a heater properly sized for the task at hand.

Bill

What I meant to convey...1500 watts running all night long is a large waste, the block, and the rad will dis-apate
all that heat. My 1500 watt heater will easily raise the block up to "warm to touch" heat within 1 hour.

To keep this plugged in all night is just a waste, so I agree, a thermostat included within the heater to
just keep the engine above freezing would be better.

Even so, I'll bet, such a heater will still draw a bunch, because of the un-insulated engine bay.

Could you shove the thermostat bulb down the dip stick tube and just regulate the oil temp which would seem to warm most everything especially the oil?

For a in the block heater there is no thermo switch available, they are generally 2-300 watts heat easily dissipated. But they are available for inline heaters 10-1500 watt, some are internally switched or have a separate temp switch mounted in the return(cold) line from the block.

I don't think you can get enough watts to trip a thermostat

I am sure someone here could figure out the surface area of the passageways and outside skin of the heads, hoses, radiator and block of an engine, versus the watts needed to actually raise the temp to a beneficial point.

I think one reason heaters are not many thousands of watts is because there isn't enough current on the end of an extension cord to run the heater needed. Maybe someone should build a 220 volt unit.

I have found synthetic oil to make an engine spin and start better than a plug in engine heater. I live in Minnesota, and have not plugged a vehicle in for many years, unheated garage or outside, but mechanically sound fuel injected gas engine.

Use a timer rather than a thermostat.

What do you do with your vehicle when you park it away from your plug in? Do you leave it running all the time its not plugged in?

You don't say what you're using this for, looks like most assume it's for a vehicle. Kim HotStart makes the best preheat systems, but they're far too elaborate (and expensive) for automotive use. They're used on large industrial engines, locomotives, etc. They have a thermostatically controlled system for their circulating oil & water systems.

You may want to check out thermostatically controlled pad heaters that you silicone to the oil pan. I put one on my airplane. They make them in various sizes, also battery warmers too. Aircraft Spruce and others handle them.

You may want to check out thermostatically controlled pad heaters that you silicone to the oil pan. I put one on my airplane. They make them in various sizes, also battery warmers too. Aircraft Spruce and others handle them.

How about a digital temperature controller with sensor- like the Johnson Controls A419? Shop around, the retail price varies wildly, but if you check around, they aren't super expensive, they're easy to use, and they're reliable.

Back