What's new
What's new

OT? engineering document stating "use lubricant on aluminum threads"??

i_r_machinist

Titanium
rosemont 1.JPG
First off, this is a nuclear power plant and common sense is frowned upon, so I need to find some kind of "official" document from some "authority" that states that some form of lubricant should be applied to a straight thread on aluminum. IE, neolube, neversieze... The I&C proceedure for screwing on these caps does not specificly state this, so they are not doing it and galling the dogshit out of these. This is generating a tremendous amount of work for me and costing no telling what in replacement bodies and quasi-emergencies.
Thanks, and as always, have fun
i_r_

DON'T type in "justification for lubrication on" in google search. Wierd.
Teachme, I'll reference that and a .pdf from PemEnginnering on causes of galling that I found.
thanks
Digger, yes, I've made custom wrenches also. But if you will notice, the one in the picture has neversieze on it. It came out of the trainning lab. I asked an I&C tech about lube on this one and not the ones in the field and he couldn't answer. Hmmmm.
Thanks for the replies.
i_r_
https://www.pemnet.com/files/design_info/techsheets/Thread_Galling.pdf

DON'T type in "justification for lubrication on" in google search. Wierd.
Teachme, I'll reference that and a .pdf from PemEnginnering on causes of galling that I found.
thanks
Digger, yes, I've made custom wrenches also. But if you will notice, the one in the picture has neversieze on it. It came out of the trainning lab. I asked an I&C tech about lube on this one and not the ones in the field and he couldn't answer. Hmmmm.
Thanks for the replies.
i_r_
https://www.pemnet.com/files/design_info/techsheets/Thread_Galling.pdf

Yes, I saw it...I'm not blind.

But I was trying to relate to you what our people (in a non nuclear world) doo....
:skep:
Which is run them dry.

I've been in your world and I know just what you're up against. In the same situation the Rx was to get the OEM rep to spec "nuclear grade" anti-seize. The same sort of scenario occurred with X-ray components from Machlett, vacuum components from Lesker; when the sales guys come round you bait them into an impromptu maintenance training session.

Nothing happens without an official change in PM protocols with buy-ins from people well removed from the nuts and bolts and well up the regulatory food chain.

And at the end of the day sometimes you just have to acknowledge: Not your monkey, not your circus.

I would think that if its AL to any other metal they would be using an oxide prevention paste so no galvanic oxidation occurs, that would also lube the part.

We have a grade of neversieze called N-7000, which I think referes to the price per 1 lb can, that we use in rad fields, which was worked into our "Common Mechanical Practices" proceedure,that has been a life saver.
customer

Back