What's new
What's new

OT: Ebay now allowing sellers to charge buyer's Premium?

Spud

Diamond
Art-work auction. According to the descripton, the Ebay seller -an auction house- is conduction a live auction of the work but the item is simultaneously listed on Ebay. The Auction add states that a 25% buyer's premium will be applied on the final bid.

So does this mean that the Ebay buyer will have to pay the final bid price , which is $55,000 in this case, plus %25?

LEWIS WICKES HINE - Mechanic at Steam Pump in Electric Power House, c... Lot 287 | eBay

http://vi.vipr.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBay...descgauge=1&cspheader=1&oneClk=1&secureDesc=0

Yes. From the "full item description" which comes up in a separate tab (another trend I don't like at eBay):

"Additional payment details from the seller:
(a) The buyer agrees to pay us, in addition to the hammer price of the lot, the buyer's premium and any applicable sales tax (the "Purchase Price"). The buyer's premium is 25% of the hammer price up to and including $200,000, 20% of the portion of the hammer price above $200,000 up to and including $3,000,000 and 12% of the portion of the hammer price above $3,000,000. Phillips reserves the right to pay from our compensation an introductory commission to one or more third parties for assisting in the sale of property offered and sold at auction."

Since it is just a printed photo I suppose they can print more of them and sell as many as they can. Actually it does not even say how big it is or who actually took the photo or made the print.. from the other similar photos it may be a minature designed to hide in a decoder ring.I also notice that there seems to be no way to report the seller to ebay.
Notice no shipping, customer pickup only? for 50,000 they could afford a box to ship it in.
And why do I care if they pay off some middle men after the sale? I suppose this means they do not even own the item in question but are reselling it from another gallery at a markup. Probably without the real owners permission or knowledge.
Kind of like the Moore bronzes mentioned here the other day.
Further reading of the auction does not mention the actual item for sale. If you really are getting the complete boiler and factory and one sex slave that is not a bad price. No where in the description does it say photo?
Bill D

Since it is just a printed photo I suppose they can print more of them and sell as many as they can. Actually it does not even say how big it is or who actually took the photo or made the print.. from the other similar photos it may be a minature designed to hide in a decoder ring.I also notice that there seems to be no way to report the seller to ebay.
Notice no shipping, customer pickup only? for 50,000 they could afford a box to ship it in.
And why do I care if they pay off some middle men after the sale? I suppose this means they do not even own the item in question but are reselling it from another gallery at a markup. Probably without the real owners permission or knowledge.
Further reading of the auction does not mention the actual item for sale. If you really are getting the complete boiler and factory and one sex slave that is not a bad price. No where in the description does it say photo?
Bill D

The seller does offer shipping and packing, at a cost.
http://www.ebay.com/lvs/live_auction/static/document/59b6d9362a0503178b1bbb2b.html

Seller has sold a lot of photographs in this auction.
Photographs | by Phillips | eBay live auctions

At those prices they must be originals?

This one sold for $110,000. But I have no idea what all this jibberish means: "Signed in ink by the artist, titled, dated, numbered 1/2 in an unidentified hand in pencil, printed Eggleston Artistic Trust copyright credit reproduction limitation on a label affixed to the reverse of the flush-mount"
WILLIAM EGGLESTON - Untitled, 1971-1974 Lot 29 | eBay

"Pigment ink, printed later"
http://vi.vipr.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=292249913066&t=0&tid=10&category=2211&seller=phillipslive&excSoj=1&excTrk=1&lsite=0&ittenable=false&domain=ebay.com&descgauge=1&cspheader=1&oneClk=1&secureDesc=0

Bill D

It helps to read the item description. This is an original print made by the famous photographer of his signature photograph. It was printed in 1930. No they won't just be printing a batch and selling at these prices.

"Accompanied by a materials assessment report.Provenance:
From the artist to a Private Collector by descent to the present owner

Medium:
Gelatin silver print, printed circa 1930."

Whether this is a fair or reasonable price for such a print is probably not a debate worth pursuing on a machinery forum.

Denis

I've grown increasingly disgusted with eBay lately. But I don't think there is any substitute for it. For little money on it I could buy the right product, with good delivery. I need a decent replacement..

Not really relevant......but the whole idea of a buyers premium started in the world of art auctions.....the purpose of the premium was to pay into an insurance fund to reimburse buyers of art subsequently proved to be a fake.Such as the auction of Van Gogh "Irises".....anyway ,pretty soon the chattel auctioneers got the idea of adding an "insignificant" buyers premium,set by law at a max of 3%....donation to political party ,buyers premium now 25%,along with all sorts of other charges .I do not go to auctions any more.

Back