What's new
What's new

OT- Fedex and call tags... should they leave something ??

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
Returned a small upholstered chair to the seller, seller issued Fedex call tag, said leave box on porch and Fedex will pick it up. Seller gives me nothing to put on the box, just a tracking number. Box (3 foot cube) sits on porch until at least 4:30 pm so I figure they are not coming....but I notice that night the box is gone. No sticker on door, nothing. Seems like if it gets lost or whatever I'd have no proof whatsoever it wasn't stolen from the porch. Just wondering if that is standard Fedex practice or not for call tags...are they too lazy to put a sticker on the door ?

I did check the tracking number this morning and there is some hint it was "picked up" there but if not, I'd be SOL.

Seems like it is all done in the computer these days. The issuer of the call tag or the package shipper has the option of providing your email address to the carrier. Then you get automatic emails announcing whatever events were ticked on the online form: picked up, each step in the transportation, and delivery to recipient. The drivers use scanners that have cell phone connection to the company computer, so you can see that a package was picked up within seconds of the driver scanning it. They seem to avoid contact with people and avoid using paper as much as possible. UPS no longer rings the doorbell when they leave a package. Sometimes I do not find a package at my door until I get an email from the merchant announcing the package was delivered.

I read that this time of year there are thieves looking for packages visible outside homes. It was said that average package value is higher this time of year. I ask that packages be left at a place out of sight from the street, and the regular drivers do that. But the temporary delivery people usually go straight to a very visible location, next to a sign by the doorbell saying do not leave packages here. They don't ring the bell and don't see the sign, I guess.

Similarly, when you leave a package for pickup, you can specify where it will be, even that they must wait at the door for you to hand it to them, and that works very well.

Larry

Anything that was picked up as a call tag request, the driver always left a tracking number.

I dont deal with shipping stuff much.....but I always wondered the reverse....what happens if they drop a package on my doorstep and the neighbors kid snatches it before I get to it?

Back