OT- Finding steel collars under concrete. - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    I think it's time in this thread to bring out the "Diving rods"......
    Are those anything like Divining rods...or are they more like diving boards?

Dowsing Stu

2. Likes Mtndew liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    I think it's time in this thread to bring out the "Diving rods"......
    Not a bad idea... I keep mine on the dash board in my truck...

Actually I put them there a few years ago for some reason and they haven't moved since.

I need to bring them inside the house.. We have 7 DirecTV remotes, 1 TV remote, and 1 roku
    remore, and all we(SHE) could find this weekend was 1 directv remote and the roku remote..(I
    didn't give a shit, I had the remote and I was watching football)... I need to start dowsing the
    couch and find them damn things.

They are fun to play with.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciszewski View Post
    Hello Crossthread
    So if I read this right, your collars that you intended to use to run your utilities through the concrete slab, are not only buried 1/2" below the surface, but are also now full of concrete. So what good are they to you now??? Buy, borrow, rent, ... yourself a core drill & drill some holes through the slab.
    Good point! ..unless he had the foresight to plug them with paper / card / polystyrene etc etc.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by atomarc View Post
    Are those anything like Divining rods...or are they more like diving boards?

Dowsing Stu
    *&^%$#@! auto correct.

Apparently you weren't around for the "thread that never ends" about "Divining Rods"

Lost to the server crash me thinks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

an old plumber could find them in a heartbeat.
    don't know what the dohicky they use is but my buddy found a stubbed in stool in the basement in about 2 minutes

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Another vote for magnets. I use them for a LOT of this type of stuff.

I have a magnetic knife block where 5 magnets, 1/4+" below the surface of some cherry wood holds knives on a vertical surface just fine.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I thank everyone except for moonlight who has made me feel more like an idiot then I already did. Just kidding but yeah a few measurements would have been nice. Limy the collars are just to make a hole in the concrete to run utilities. There is nothing coming up from the bottom yet. I am going to plasma cut through the pan as soon as I can find the damn things. Ciszewski, I realize I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer but I did cover the collars with a flashing cap to keep concrete out. You and moonlight are killing me here. The collars were tacked to the rebar so there is no evidence in the bottom of the pans to indicate where they are deltap. I like the magnet idea and will try that today. Thanks to everyone who suggested that. I am going to borrow a metal detector this weekend from my brother in law which may work according to him. (not the metal detector, the process). I'm sure I will figure something out by spring. Thanks again for all the replies.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

^ So long as there above the rebar plane and a complete circle you should get a noticably stronger signle off em. Like i said, just keep the metal detector higher over the slab and have a play with a similar steel item off the slab else were to see were the coil on the metal detector hits it hardest as it were.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If that doesn't work out (although I think it will).......

you could always try inducing a current in them with a taken-apart transformer (or better, an inductor) that you set about where you think they are.... Then a thermal image camera should show you right away where the ring is, and tell it from the other steel, by the shape of the image.

Take the crossbar off the inductor core, and set that side down. use a variac so you do not burn up the inductor.

Yeah.... just thinking outside the box

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you need another toy, try this walabot.com/diy.
    I have no financial interest in this, but it sure looks appealing to the piddler in me. And right now the price is good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My WAG..if you spray water onto the deck in the general vicinity of the 'semi-penetrations' I'll bet the water would soak up and dry in a pattern that might reveal the exact outline of the pipe..or maybe not!

Stuart

13. Likes boslab liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by atomarc View Post
    My WAG..if you spray water onto the deck in the general vicinity of the 'semi-penetrations' I'll bet the water would soak up and dry in a pattern that might reveal the exact outline of the pipe..or maybe not!

Stuart
    Aye. Cold weather, newish 'crete, bare mist of water as from a Windex-type sprayer, should do so on thermal transfer diff alone - as mentioned in re morning/evening "dew" pattern for better weather.

But wot the hey - so long as they are METAL and only an inch or so buried?

Ga-ron-tee I could outline 'em with any half-decent RF stud-finder.

Were it otherwise, half of Hong Kong wudda been blown-up from holes drilled into gas lines whilst installing kitchen and bathroom cabinets, towel bars and Wok-hanger hooks.

Fortunately, even cross-border temp labour coolies with a bare 7th grade education, if even that - knows how to use them and why they MUST do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by moonlight machine View Post
    Maybe Its just me but I would have used a tape measure and a note pad before the concrete truck showed up.
    "Why aren't you more grateful when I show you how wrong you've been?."

Sorry to bring this up again...but if it makes Crossthread feel any better - a friend of mine built a new house with a large garage about 2 years back. He always wanted a two-post car hoist, so prepared two special deep foundations for the hoist mounting....fast forward about two years and he has just bought the car hoist. Unfortunately, no one can remember exactly where the special foundations are. I managed to resist asking the obvious question. Well, they knew approximately where they think they wanted it to be and I hear that it has a 2 ton van sitting on it at present...

BTW, I like Crossthreads method of laying concrete - it is quicker and neater to level and finish the concrete without anything sticking up. I hate things sticking up...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill in PA View Post
    Can't help you with your question, but sure does look like a nice view.

Bill

+1 Sweet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=Peter S;3104551]
    Sorry to bring this up again...but if it makes Crossthread feel any better - a friend of mine built a new house with a large garage about 2 years back. He always wanted a two-post car hoist, so prepared two special deep foundations for the hoist mounting....fast forward about two years and he has just bought the car hoist. Unfortunately, no one can remember exactly where the special foundations are. I managed to resist asking the obvious question. Well, they knew approximately where they think they wanted it to be and I hear that it has a 2 ton van sitting on it at present.../QUOTE]
    Peter -
    Or the friend of mine who runs a MAC tool truck and sells/installs associated equipment such as lifts. New muffler shop being built calls him, wants quote on 5 or 6 lifts. He gets there 4 hours later just as last concrete truck pulling away. Starts talking to owner about placement, etc. Turns out the guy put radiant heat in the floor - and had no idea where the lines were. Owner said no problem - you're responsible for any damage. Passed on that job. Could have found lines but would have been a pain.
    Dale

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=duckfarmer27;3104622]
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter S View Post
    Owner said no problem - you're responsible for any damage. Passed on that job. Could have found lines but would have been a pain.
    Dale
    With a FlirOne on my phone finding the 4" deep lines in my floor is as easy as taking a picture. You can view it real time, so you can have someone lay a marker on the floor and move it until it is over the top of the line. You can find the tubes for a couple of weeks after turning the heat on in the fall. If you have to find the lines in the winter, either turn up the temp or turn down the temp.

19. Likes duckfarmer27 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If magnets and metal detector fail I would imagine a tap-test should reveal the location. If the top of the pipe is capped and it's down on the metal sub-deck (keeping concrete out of the pipe) you should be able to tap on the metal and get a dull thud or slight ringing...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=gbent;3104638]
    Quote Originally Posted by duckfarmer27 View Post

With a FlirOne on my phone finding the 4" deep lines in my floor is as easy as taking a picture. You can view it real time, so you can have someone lay a marker on the floor and move it until it is over the top of the line. You can find the tubes for a couple of weeks after turning the heat on in the fall. If you have to find the lines in the winter, either turn up the temp or turn down the temp.
    With what we have today I agree, but this was back in time enough that without pre planning the wet it and see what dries first method would have been the only way and he thought it too risky with this guy.

Dale

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I thought I would give everyone an update on my lost collar saga. Well I found the collars using a metal detector. At first it wasn't working due to the fact that I couldn't turn the sensitivity down low enough not to pick up the pans. I laid two sheets of plywood on the area where I knew the collars should be and that helped. There was still not a marked difference but enough to pick them up. Thanks so much for all your replies.

deck.jpg

23. Likes Peter S liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossthread View Post
    I recently finished pouring my deck in the back of the house. I tack welded 6" collars to the pans where service is to come up from underneath for an outdoor kitchen. I kind of screwed up and the collars were not quite tall enough. They are probably down about a half inch from the top surface. Tapping on the concrete has not helped me locate them. I know approximately where they are but not exactly. As you can see there is quite a bit of steel involved so not sure if a metal detector will work. Does anyone have a clever way of finding something like this?
    Go underneath and drive a small diameter pilot drill up through the tube.