What's new
What's new

OT - Fire is getting closer!

Laverda

Cast Iron
I am in California. This was the view out of my shop this afternoon. It's got a way to go to get to me but is moving in my direction. It is at the moment about 10 miles away so am not too worried. Last night there was so much ash coming down it looked like it was snowing.

Attachments

• 20180808_141639[1].jpg
    20180808_141639[1].jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 473
Where in California are you there’s about 14 fires burning now. I’m up north and breathing the smoke from three of them with no end in site . my eyes have been burning for a week. The fools that start these fires on purpose should have there fingers cut off then stoned to death, shooting them is to painless.

Where in California are you there’s about 14 fires burning now. I’m up north and breathing the smoke from three of them with no end in site . my eyes have been burning for a week. The fools that start these fires on purpose should have there fingers cut off then stoned to death, shooting them is to painless.

I am NOT for giving any arsonist mercy in any way, shape, or form.

But y'all also need to get your collective HEADS out and recognize you have an environmental situation beyond any reasonable hope of betterment, short-term for-sure, long term maybe not EITHER!

It hasn't NEEDED an arsonist, nor even carelessness in many cases.

Conditions for a fire are just THERE and already beyond "with luck, not here, please!".

Anyone aware of any magical shift in vegetation that could stop this with existing soil, rainfall, and wind patterns? With worse in years coming highly likely?

I'd have thought it would at least be under pilot trials if it existed.

I am NOT for giving any arsonist mercy in any way, shape, or form.

But y'all also need to get your collective HEADS out and recognize you have an environmental situation beyond any reasonable hope of betterment, short-term for-sure, long term maybe not EITHER!

It hasn't NEEDED an arsonist, nor even carelessness in many cases.

Conditions for a fire are just THERE and already beyond "with luck, not here, please!".

Anyone aware of any magical shift in vegetation that could stop this with existing soil, rainfall, and wind patterns? With worse in years coming highly likely?

I'm in Sacramento County rather away from the fires and we've been getting a lot of the smoke.

Controlled burning is sometimes used to attempt to prevent larger fires. There is often some pushback on this from the environmentalist groups.They also generally oppose logging to remove some of the dead trees.

Neither controlled burns nor logging will do much to counteract arsonists and looters, however.

California will set more ‘controlled burns’ to try to stop wildfires | The Seattle Times

Take care of yourself man. From the looks of things in that picture the trees are bone dry and ready to burn should even an ember land. I wish you the best and will keep everyone in the path of that fire in my prayers.

Make Chips Boys !

Ron

Controlled burning is sometimes used to attempt to prevent larger fires. There is often some pushback on this from the environmentalist groups.They also generally oppose logging to remove some of the dead trees.
I wish people would quit switching sides. Back in Earth First ! days it was environmentalists who were pushing for controlled burns and scared home owners who opposed them. Judi Bari & Co proposed taking out the dead and sick trees while leaving the healthy ones behind. And not cutting big slices through the topsoil while the loggers were at it.

There aren't any trees near Sacratomato anyhow, so nothing for you to fear :)

There aren't any trees near Sacratomato anyhow, so nothing for you to fear :)

Apparently you are a European arm chair geographer who cannot spell.

1. There are 33 million acres of forest in California and a rough estimate is that 20% of California land is in forest.
2. Sacramento is within an hour of several major forests. You can look them up as an exercise.
3. It's spelled Sacramento.

We're sorry, the Department of Homeland Security, Extraction Industry Division has
decided your post and this thread are getting too close to mentioning the outlawed
terms:

Science
Climate Change
Envirornment
Regulation
Government Action

and therefor your identity has been noted and placed on a permenent 'no post list.'

I really like concrete roof panels called "Double tees".

Used to be popular around here for C stores, can free span 40' or more.

If your shop was built with tip up walls, and topped with double tees,
you would be having NO anxiety what-so-ever.

Large overhangs for the roof a (easily done) and metal shutters
on all the windows.

Tip up walls are better suited than concrete blocks for earthquake prone areas.

I watched the tv feed on bbc, there was a house cut in half by the fire?, ive never seen anything like it.
Mark

Or maybe not :)

2. Sacramento is within an hour of several major forests.
An hour ? Do that and you'll be getting a $500 ticket from the CHP. You're two hours from anything ! Except maybe the railway museum, that's pretty cool. And the Nut Tree ... oops :(

I am gonna surmise that you never listened to Doctor Don Rose :)

No hard feelings but seriously, a forest ? With trees ? The kind that are taller than a Girl Scout ? No way.

If you had driven around Chatsworth after the Northridge earthquake, you might not agree with that.

OK, but most tip up walls are for big warehouses, over 20' high or so.

Cement block walls like to explode. And they have all those built in "tear on the dotted line" joints, all ready to "get to work".

I have see double tees used a wall panels as well, and as they are prestressed
(tip ups usually are not, and cement blocks are not )
I think they would far much better.

So what did fare well in that quake ?

1. There are 33 million acres of forest in California and a rough estimate is that 20% of California land is in forest.
2. Sacramento is within an hour of several major forests. You can look them up as an exercise.
It was none other than Herb Caen who called it "Sacatomato" and if its good enough for Herb....
Karl

It was none other than Herb Caen who called it "Sacatomato" and if its good enough for Herb....
Karl

Problem with the tilt ups, as the building racked, the roof beams would come out of their pockets and push the top of the wall outward. They all looked like upside down pyramids.

Concrete blocks seemed to fair pretty well, that's what we were in at the time. Single story wood frames did well. 3 Story apartment buildings, well, you probably saw that on the news.

The Cypress Structure :)

Tiltups do pretty well in most quakes but the Northridge quake was unusual - it was sharp and short and vertical, not roly-poly like normal. All the freeway supports at that time had a small cross-section where they met the roadway, so they punched their way through and boom fall down. Nowadays the transition is much bigger.

I didn't hear about problems with tiltups tho. They usually do okay. Unreinforced masonry likes to fall apart on the dotted lines, as you noted. Nailed-together wood buildings usually do the best.

Back