OT - Fire is getting closer! - Page 4
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Look on the bright side! While half of California may go up in smoke, at least you won't have to worry about those pesky plastic straws anymore!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This is what an Arsonist looks like. he has been in trouble with the law, feuding with neighbors, probably on meth. I hope that legalizing marajhina reduces the danger in the wildlands of California.
    Bill D.
    Man Charged With Arson in Southern California’s Holy Fire - The New York Times

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My nephew is on a helicopter crew for cal fire he says the crew is getting stoned breathing the smoke. The weed they’re growing nowadays is far different than the older days, way more potent. Not sure if legalizing it helped I think it made things worse ,lots of mindless zombie type people mopping around here.
    I’m in nor cal,
    That guy that started the holy fire is a waste of air, should be burned at the stake

4. Likes JohnEvans liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Newman109 View Post
    I hear that there are no more trees anywhere in England. The Muslims cut all of them for firewood. Pass it on.
    I do not know what you are talking about. Please supply a picture of one and I will do a recce. Please make sure that the colours are true.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by camscan View Post
    I do not know what you are talking about. Please supply a picture of one and I will do a recce. Please make sure that the colours are true.
    It's only a rumor. By the way, what is a recce? I do not know what you are talking about. By the way, colours is spelled colors.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"Color and colour are different spellings of the same word. Color is the preferred spelling in American English, and colour is preferred in all other main varieties of English. The distinction extends to all derivatives of the word. Colored, coloring, colorer, colorful, and discolor are the U.S. spellings, and coloured, colouring, colourer, colourful, and discolour are preferred outside the U.S."

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mjk View Post
    "Color and colour are different spellings of the same word. Color is the preferred spelling in American English, and colour is preferred in all other main varieties of English. The distinction extends to all derivatives of the word. Colored, coloring, colorer, colorful, and discolor are the U.S. spellings, and coloured, colouring, colourer, colourful, and discolour are preferred outside the U.S."
    That's just baffling to me. Besides, I'm not outside of the US and I'm glad about it.

9. Likes converterking liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

California Wildfires 218 - California's Unsustainable Legacy - YouTube Seams to sum things up nicely, what was managed forest is no more they have literally legislated themselves into this.

FYI i am in england and i do have 2 trees, both oaks, there biggest threat is the bitch of a next door neighbour who bitches about leaves and even blames my oak tree on attracting birds that then shit on her white paving. Yep, she actually washes the bird shit off her white paving and white gravel 3 times a day!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by adama View Post
    California Wildfires 218 - California's Unsustainable Legacy - YouTube Seams to sum things up nicely, what was managed forest is no more they have literally legislated themselves into this.

FYI i am in england and i do have 2 trees, both oaks, there biggest threat is the bitch of a next door neighbour who bitches about leaves and even blames my oak tree on attracting birds that then shit on her white paving. Yep, she actually washes the bird shit off her white paving and white gravel 3 times a day!!!
    It's the same in the US when it comes to tree issues. My dear departed Grandpa lived in Chicago and there was a huge tree in his back yard, right next to his fence on the neighbor's side. I'm not sure of the species. It could have been an elm but it gave terrific shade to his back yard as well as the neighbor's.

There was no problem for more than 30 years that he lived there until the neighbor's house was sold. Immediately thereafter the new neighbor began daily and even twice daily complaints both on telephone and in person at Grandpa's front door about the leaves falling from the tree.

This went went on for some two or three months until Grandpa had had enough. He called a tree surgeon and had the tree cut down and the wood hauled away.

Thereafter there was no shade in either back yard. Apparently that was what the fool wanted.

Just thought I'd share as your story reminded me. LOL

12. Likes adama liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's only a rumor. By the way, what is a recce? I do not know what you are talking about. By the way, colours is spelled colors.
    "Reconnaissance"

The very word George Dubbyah Bush said was odd because it sounded French, but that translation tools could not find a translated word for IN the French language! "The French don't even have a word for "reconnaissance".

The "Bush" family, BTW, are of French ancestry, and it may be another hundred years before people twig to just how much FUN "Dubbyah" had playing the dummy when he was anything BUT!

Minor OTHER nit, but MY spell checker is set to UK English because English spelling is ALWAYS correct, even in the USA, where it is not the commonly used spelling.

By contrast, the "American" spelling is ONLY correct WITHIN the USA, brands one a barbarian anywhere else. Which is ACCURATE, but why give anyone the benefit of a warning they are about to be trifled with?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here's an example of decent forest management practices (in my own county): Lumber and Building Materials with historic roots at Big Creek Lumber.

This company does selective cuts, thinning the redwoods. They then cut and sell redwood lumber. Most folks would agree with the operators (McCrary's) who say that the local forests "are in better health today than when they first started logging with their dad and uncle in 1946. Today, the stump of the first tree that Lud McCrary and Homer Trumbo cut by hand sprouts a 30-inch diameter, 150 foot tall redwood."

15. Likes Newman109 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PeteM View Post
    Here's an example of decent forest management practices (in my own county): Lumber and Building Materials with historic roots at Big Creek Lumber.

This company does selective cuts, thinning the redwoods. They then cut and sell redwood lumber. Most folks would agree with the operators (McCrary's) who say that the local forests "are in better health today than when they first started logging with their dad and uncle in 1946. Today, the stump of the first tree that Lud McCrary and Homer Trumbo cut by hand sprouts a 30-inch diameter, 150 foot tall redwood."

Proud to say I have helped make parts for their sawmill. Have a group of a dozen new pieces for the mill awaiting go ahead right now.

17. Likes PeteM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    "Reconnaissance"

The very word George Dubbyah Bush said was odd because it sounded French, but that translation tools could not find a translated word for IN the French language! "The French don't even have a word for "reconnaissance".

The "Bush" family, BTW, are of French ancestry, and it may be another hundred years before people twig to just how much FUN "Dubbyah" had playing the dummy when he was anything BUT!

Minor OTHER nit, but MY spell checker is set to UK English because English spelling is ALWAYS correct, even in the USA, where it is not the commonly used spelling.

By contrast, the "American" spelling is ONLY correct WITHIN the USA, brands one a barbarian anywhere else. Which is ACCURATE, but why give anyone the benefit of a warning they are about to be trifled with?

We began to dump English language usage sometime around 1777. By the way, I'm still upset about the Revolution and the War of 1812.

If the earlier poster meant Reconnaissance, why did he say recce?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One of my best customers is in the wildfire fighting business, he makes and sells reduced weight and bulk smoke jumper tools, he's an old man now and has been doing firefighting almost his whole life, his name is Troop, not his real name but the one everyone knows him by.
    He wrote a plan for people who own property in danger areas, high fuel terrain with valuable homes etc. His heart's work is to help stop fires from damaging property and killing people, and I think his ideas deserve thoughtful consideration, and he gave me permission to share with you guys who live in danger;
    MECHANICS OF FA…ROM FIRESTORMS.docx
    Error 404 must authenticate

His business URL; Dragonslayers Premium Wildfire Tools – Premium Wildfire Hand Tools Designed for the 21st Century

20. Likes adama liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I can't get the document to show, but email Troop and he's send it to you; "troop dragonslayers" <[email protected]>; Ask for the .doc file on protecting property in fire danger areas. He lists a series of specific actions that will save your home. The advice is free.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We began to dump English language usage sometime around 1777.
    Sort of. You forget it was the English who prevailed in the American Revolution, but only just barely.

We "mostly" English Colonists had to whup a German King (George III) and his Hessian mercenaries. Of course the English won!

As to taking premier charge of the language and migrating it West, it wasn't so easy.
    At that time, there were NEARLY as many residents who spoke a low-countries or Germanic language as English.

Can't rally call them "German" because it would be another hundred years before there was such a country AS "Germany", the "stadts" as would eventually become it still having their own governments and dialects.

Ben Franklin tried to broker selection of HEBREW as the new national language to sever all ties with the Old World. Israel was even further in the future, so it was regarded as a "dead" language known only to scholars. Robert Morris might have disagreed as to the "dead language" part.

By the way, I'm still upset about the Revolution and the War of 1812.
    Not to worry. I'm still upset with historians who got the cavalry movements at second Dunbar down wrong.

Dunno. Why do folk say "burger" when they mean "ground beef on a bun" or "BigMac" when they mean ground synthetics on baked synthetics, synthetic puke as glueubricant?

"Shorter" one might guess?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thermite said: Sort of. You forget it was the English who prevailed in the American Revolution, but only just barely.
    That's news to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Because the World is a big place, and Americans (I'm one) should recognize that we're not the center (or centre) of the Universe?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That's news to me.
    We're STILL HERE are we not? Where yah been? Tijuana Jail?

Pennsylvania Deutsche are still here, too, but only parts of their dialect have prevailed.

And surnames. Third Reich was mortified that the majority of US troops hammering their ass to Hell and beyond, Western Front, had Germanic surnames. Not just "smiling Ike", lots more.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    Because the World is a big place, and Americans (I'm one) should recognize that we're not the center (or centre) of the Universe?
    Surely HOPE not!

That's where the arsehole is generally located.