What's new
What's new

OT-Fix for a "System Error" digital camera?

rivett608

Diamond
My Nikon Coolpix 885 camera that I use in the shop is acting up...... the lens wants to stay out and it will not turn off, all the screen says is "Systems Error" and the camera will not function in any mode..... has anyone had this kind of problem? I have tried fully charged batteries, I have tried removing them and letting it sit a day with no power and it keeps doing the same thing.

Now one possible cause is the day it did start this there was a lot of static electricity, might have been my slippers on the plastic floor mat with the heater running a lot drying the place out.... I know there was a nice (well maybe not so nice spark) when I went to plug it in to the computer.... would that cause this sort of thing?

I replaced the camera that day (the 24th, just had to get in some Christmas eve shopping) but this model has a slide coping feature I still would like to use so it would be nice to revive it.....

Thanks

It sounds like the camera's internal software has been corrupted somehow: You may be able to find a software "update" on the net and load that into the camera via the computer.

Sad to hear. I'm a long-time Nikon guy, and it pains me to hear of such failures.

My own D1 (professional-level digital SLR, circa 1999) has a failed shutter. I probably exceeded it's rated 1,000,000 cycles, but it still bothers me that a camera I spent over $3700 for is now a boat anchor. I fear you now have one too, albeit at a lot less money.

Last night I went over to the "dark side" and placed an order for a Canon PowerShot SD800 IS, a PHD (Push Here Dummy) point & shoot digital camera to be my "walk-around/travel" camera. I hope it gives longer service than your Coolpix 885. I'll have my D200 DLSR with lots of lenses as a good backup, but that system is not good for throwing into the corner of my carry-on bag.

Check with Nikon service, best of luck to you.

I have a Nikon 990 Coolpix that will no longer flash. I've had it for about 7 years and taken thousands of photographs with it. It still operates with the exception of the flash which quit late last year.

Rather than chuck it, I've decided to use it for a copy camera with my copy stand and some photo flood lamps and reflectors. It has an excellent closeup function and the ten-second timer will work nicely with the copy use.

I called the local Nikon repair station and they want $200 to even look at it. LOL. It was nice while it lasted but that will be my last Nikon.

If I recall correctly, Nikon service will charge $50 for looking at it, but the fee is waived/included in the repair price if they can fix it and you agree to the cost.

I used D1 for $150 is a great buy, IF you can get the battery to hold a charge. I have 4 of them, 3 Nikon and one aftermarket, and none will hold a charge for more than a couple of exposures/20 minutes. A D1 isn't in the same class as these failing point & shoots. As long as the shutter keeps firing and batteries keep lighting it up, you've got a real winner.

It always shocked people who were buying 20"x30" prints from me that my camera was "only" 2.74MP. I sound like a broken record when I continue to proclaim that "It's not the number of pixels that matters, it's the quality of them that counts."

From Wikibin.org:

" Several models in the Nikon Coolpix series of digital cameras suffer from a recurring SYSTEM ERROR message, which ostensibly appears when dust, grime, or other foreign matter obstructs the mechanical workings of the camera lens. The error appears as soon as the camera turns on, and it prevents the user from taking pictures or, in some cases, fully retracting the lens assembly. Instruction manuals and the Nikon technical support line invariably say that the error is not user serviceable, and that the only course of action is to send the afflicted camera to Nikon for service. Repair estimates range from 80 to $200, not including cost of shipping and insurance, and can take weeks. For older or less expensive models, it can be more cost effective to simply buy a new camera.

Some consumers report that merely smacking the back of the camera fixes the problem, though at the obvious risk of causing further damage. Others report success disassembling the camera themselves; however, this requires technical skill and voids the warranty.

The Coolpix SYSTEM ERROR is akin to Canon's dreaded E18 error. "

Another problem with the 990 and some earlier Nikons that use 4 AA batteries is the tendency of the latch on the battery door to snap off. Repairing it requires a new battery box insert. I don't know whether this would be covered on warranty. I had mine fixed a few years ago by a small shop for $60. Nice.

The advice to check with the folks on the dpreview forum was spot on. It is the first place I go to find the solutions to my camera problems. Usually, I'll find people who have experienced the same problems and found the right fixes.

Please allow me to also suggest looking for a used CP4500. It may cost less than the 885 repair. IIRC, the 885 was similar to the 4500, so accessories should be interchangeable.

We liked our new CP4500 so well that we decided to get a second one for back-up. I found one on eBay that was nearly new (500 exposures) for only $300. That was several years ago, so I'm guessing you could get one for even less, now. We have taken well over 10,000 pictures with our first one and it is still going strong.

We have moved up to a Nikon digital SLR, but will keep our 4500s for slide copying and casual use. They are far less cumbersome than a SLR.

Good luck,

Orrin

I had a problem something like that on my Cannon ( " the lens wanted to stay out " ) so I pulled the batteries and replaced them, same thing then I noticed a small hearing aid type battery, so I pulled it and replaced with a new one. First screen on turn on asked if I would like to use the default setting, I clicked " yes " and everything went back to like new.
George

Repair estimates range from 80 to $200, not including cost of shipping and insurance, and can take weeks.

In that case Rivett, if you really like that camera they seem to be selling for $35 to $60 (plus shipping) on eBay.

Finally bit the bullet myself and put my Canon AE-1P camera, lens and stuff on eBay three weeks ago. If anyone is interested I've still got a Canon FD 70-150 zoom which looks like it's worth $20 (ouch!!).

Steve.

Back