OT: Flashlights - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OT: Flashlights

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

if you're a filthy machinist, with ugly dirty hands...a black finish doesn't soil like other colors.

2. Likes Winterfalke liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No matter what color they are, they are quite hard to find in the dark. That's why I like carrying one in my pocket at all times.

Quote Originally Posted by GregSY View Post
    Yes...another annoying design feature...the 'push 7 times before it's off'. One time On. One time Off. That's how it should be.

I gotta say, I looked at some of those links and while they might be good lights, they suffer from Black's Disease. That's right, like a billion other products, they seem to be black.

I don't know about you's guys, but I'm dead sick of black tools. They blend in to the landscape...the only color worse is dark gray.

I want a flashlight that I can spot across the room when it's under a pile of junk. Neon Yellow, Neon Orange. Whatever...but not black. No flashlight is any good if you can't find it to turn it on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I put red heat shrink tube on my every day pocket lite. Much easier on the teeth when you need both hands.

5. Likes DrHook, Scottl liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I came home from work one day and the hood was open on the wife's car, she was halfway in the open hood. I walked over and her head came out, in her mouth clear up to the switch was one of thoes old waterproof flashlights with the thick rubber coating and big rubber end. I told her that whatever was wrong with her car, I would fix if I could simply get the flashlight treatment. I sure went from hero to zero in a hurry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kustomizer View Post
    I came home from work one day and the hood was open on the wife's car, she was halfway in the open hood. I walked over and her head came out, in her mouth clear up to the switch was one of thoes old waterproof flashlights with the thick rubber coating and big rubber end. I told her that whatever was wrong with her car, I would fix if I could simply get the flashlight treatment. I sure went from hero to zero in a hurry.
    Maybe if light shined out of your butt, she would have done it!

8. Likes Winterfalke, henrya liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jim rozen View Post
    Maybe if light shined out of your butt, she would have done it!
    Not even if there were a diamond there I think, it was made pretty clear

10. Likes tnmgcarbide, DrHook liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

try this link
    Rechargeable Flashlights

The button is where it should be, it turns on to the setting you left it.
    it can be low, or super bright... and in-between.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The feature I value most is aimability, being able to park the thing to shine on the spot where I want it to shine, handsfree. Features I don't value are anything labelled tactical, multiple modes, and absurd prices. I am amused by the way by the discussion about black finishes making it hard to see the flashlight in the dark.

-Marty-

13. Likes JoeE. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

These are my favorites lately. Completely reliable and bright. Bought one for each member of the family.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Button where you expect it, swivelling head, magnet on the back. https://www.amazon.com/Flashlight-NI.../dp/B07FFKJVT1

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For a pocket flashlight, I got a thorfire PF04. (comes in various colors so you can buy something other than black so you can see it when you set it down somewhere). Relatively inexpensive, uses AAA batteries (both a requirement for me since I tend to damage or lose these things, and I have a ready supply of AAA batteries).

Tailcap on/off switch, it remembers the last setting you used, and no stupid strobe light function.
    ThorFire PF04 Pen Flashlight

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was in the local ACE Hardware today and I saw their display of flashlights - about ten or twelve feet of one side of the isle. Dozens of them. LEDs, bulbs, two AAAs to four or more Ds. And one whole section with plain, old fashioned, tubular flashlights with the switch exactly where you would expect it to be.

Eveready!

Rayovac!

And a dozen or more other brands, all with the switch on the side for your thumb. Other styles too, but the good old switch-on-the-side was well represented.

So don't tell me they don't make then that way any more.

18. Likes pavt, paulz liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by karl View Post
    Do you remember when flashlights had switches in the correct location? You would pick up a flashlight and the switch would be right under your thumb ready to be slid or pushed to do your bidding.
    Yep. that's why I went on eBay and got a vintage Eveready. Added a LED bulb and a couple of batteries, and good to go. Like this: Vintage EverReady Masterlite Flashlight - Made in USA | eBay

Those older ones were made in USA by Union Carbide, I must add. Mine seems to be solid brass that has been plated, and basically indestructible. 2 D cells are more than enough for the LED.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here's my favorite. I carry it with me everyday. There have been a couple of times I accidently turned it on in my pocket and drained the batteries but not often.
    Mine is so well used that I wore most of the anodizing off the case. It is my most used tool next to my pocket knife. https://www.amazon.com/COAST-G20-Ins.../dp/B001JT8MT2

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I remember those old flashlights...took two D batteries and allowed you to see three feet in front of you in the dark for about a days use.
    You can still find them at walmart

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have an Olight S2R baton USB charger version and I love it. It goes everywhere with me. It might be a little larger than a pen light but I use it every single day without fail.

The pocket clip can clip to the bill of a hat to act like a headlamp which is handy. The charge lasts for ever. I might charge mine once every 2 months. 3 settings and a strobe.

I have heard that people put the wrong bats in them and they blow up, so don't do that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

https://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-2000...54235979&psc=1

really bright, battery lasts a long time

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would chime in and tell you what kind I have and if it is any good....if I could find one. I own about 6 or 8 of them....can't find 1....if / when I do the GD batteries are dead I am sure...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by true temper View Post
    I put red heat shrink tube on my every day pocket lite. Much easier on the teeth when you need both hands.
    LMAO after reading that. I put yellow shrink tubing on my AAA LED Maglight for the same reasons.

26. Likes true temper liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    West Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Iíve been using Fenix led flashlights for about 10 years. I carry their model E11 in my pocket everywhere. I think theyíve replaced the model with the E12. Maybe the billionaire Bezos still has the E11 on his site still for sale. Itís about the size of a 20ga shotgun shell. Takes one AA battery. Coated glass lens, 6061 machined alu. The lower power mode is what I use most and a battery lasts a long time. Even on the low power mode itís brighter than an old 2 d cell light. Iíve had 3 or 4 of this model and never had one go bad or get flakey, even carrying in my pocket with a key ring, pocket knife etc. i do have a problem with loosing them and thatís why iíve had a few.

The tendency for these manufacturers is to make them too powerful so they need a lithium battery or some rechargeable battery and they even then donít last long. But their product data they specify battery life at different brightness levels. The one AA battery that lasts me months feature is a big deal. Iíve had other Fenix models too and theyíve been very good too.. Iíve never had one fail to function. I suppose they are a product of chicom slave labor so thatís a down side.

https://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-e12-v2-0-aa-flashlight-for-everyday-carry/