What's new
What's new

OT- Flight time of electric helicopter ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
R/C helicopters...what is typical fly time with electric versions ?...14 to 40 inch LOA sizes.

I don't think these are useful for lifting machinery
Well, that brings up another question...which is, are there any electrics capable of carrying a small digital camera ?

My son flies RC electric helcopters and fixed-wing craft and routinely hauls a mini-cam up with the ships. There are lots of ready-made machines available nowadays. With foam construction, micro-receivers, brushless motors, solid state gyros and super-powerful batteries, you can get fifteen minute flights and terrific reliability.

The only limit is your wallet!

My son wants to start this hobby...what is the best way to do it?

I do know that advances have been coming at a rapid rate.

TMT

TMT, get an RC flight simulator like Great Planes' RealFlight G3. Make sure your son gets good at that before flying a real bird. When he's ready to move on, find an instructor at a local RC club. Doing it this way will save you a lot of time and money.

Probably a good idea for you to learn to fly as well. It's hard to beat R/C when it comes to father/son activities, and neither of you will ever grow out of it.

JBIshop, I HAVE seen it, tried it... an absolute gas! Gonna get one for myself ASAP! Absolutely worth the whopping thirty bux.

Milacron, no... sorry. It won't lift things heavier than say, a couple of dimes or quarters.

Fun anyway.

BTW for other would-be-buyers, it is best flown indoors. Even the slightest breeze blows it around.

Another 2 big thumbs up for Real flight G3.5.

My R/C mortality rate dropped about 95% once i got it a spent a little time "flying" it.

I can take of, roll inverted, fly an approach, and roll back to right side up on final. It's paid for itself times over by now.

I'm building a 25% scale Champion Super Decathlon powered by a 38cc 2 stroke, which I'd never have gained enough proficiency to fly with any confidence in a year of gaining experience by actual time aloft alone.

My ancient JR Voyager with brushless motor and 8 cell NiCd pack will fly 6-8 minutes. Newer gear with LiPo packs will generally either fly longer or harder.

Graham

The FMS free simulator is okay, but having to set up a transmitter interface and being limited to a small number of airfields and aircraft isn't worth the small amount of money saved, IMO.

The resale value of G3 on ebay is around 80-90% of new anyway, so can you really afford not to try it out?

Milacron, yeah-- the thirty dollar toy thing. The one I tried was inexpensive, completely remote controlled in all axes and planes, and quite tolerable of being crashed into things.

Lotta fun.

Back