What's new
What's new

OT: Florence- looks like this one will effect my shop.

Trboatworks

Diamond
Here we go,
My shop and clients are going to take a hit if we get any shift north from current track.
“Sortie Condition Bravo”- the fleet is being shifted to sea from the roads in va.

Hold onto your hats fellas.

Here we go,
My shop and clients are going to take a hit if we get any shift north from current track.
“Sortie Condition Bravo”- the fleet is being shifted to sea from the roads in va.Hurricane Florence Rapidly Intensifying, Likely to Strike East Coast With Life-Threatening Storm Surge, Destructive Winds, Massive Rainfall Flooding | The Weather Channel

Hold onto your hats fellas.

"Hat" being my ROOF and my last Oak tree, yah mean! Outlook is far worse, yet, further South to Milacron's Dogpatch-by-the-Sea zone.

I remember "Hazel" hitting Bayside, VA - 1954 IIRC - Eye hit further South, NC/SC line, first-ever Cat 4 to hit NC coast, but the bitch went North, well inland, even smacked NYC.

And this puppy is expected to be WORSE?

Best I start tying loose s**t down and test-run the MEP-803a extra good... Last "big one" I parked the better cars in an underground garage for a few days. Not the bottom-level, either!

Cheap MOPAR van just had to stand a beating to the s**t-metal from tree limbs & such.

Thanks for the heads up. Google finds several other info sources. Reg'lar weather.gov hadn't even hinted at it yet!

I did say "gov"?

Why do people in Hurricane area's have a mad dash for "new plywood" ?...:crazy:

You-Would-Think....living in these area's to buy it once....:skep:

Cut it to fit, apply with lag screw studs (or Hilti studs, or whatever)
that leaves a 1/4-20 stud or similar when plywood is removed.

Paint them up nicely to last, mark on the inside what each one fits.

Store in the garage or somewhere else handy.

PM readers, who are by nature somewhat technical, might enjoy this YouTube channel: Levi Cowan
- YouTube
The narrator goes through the different data and scenarios in a very informative way. It was really great/scary last year with Irma etc.

I called in some favors and the boat hauled.
I am on the beach for this one.
Peace of mind- I can focus on the house and business if this really brews up.

Edit: she has now “brewed up” cat 4..

Last edited:
Why do people in Hurricane area's have a mad dash for "new plywood" ?...:crazy:

You-Would-Think....living in these area's to buy it once....:skep:

Cut it to fit, apply with lag screw studs (or Hilti studs, or whatever)
that leaves a 1/4-20 stud or similar when plywood is removed.

Paint them up nicely to last, mark on the inside what each one fits.

Store in the garage or somewhere else handy.

Yes. Especially Puerto Rico where they should know by now no help will be coming from this administration no matter how bad it gets.

Yes. Especially Puerto Rico where they should know by now no help will be coming from this administration no matter how bad it gets.

I don't think "this administration" is the problem.

It is all the corruption ON the island.

When a hurricane is coming your way it is easy to be sure. You can sense the change in the air. All the stores have empty shelves and there's no more gasoline.

If you are outside and the air is still as the inside of a tomb, no sound from birds or insects, then you're a gonna.

Is not this a "yearly" occurence ?

You know that's why they have a "Season" for it.

Should not be any cause for alarm.

Just like we have a "winter" season.

We anticipate it, and make allowances for it.

Tell that to a deer during hunting “season“.
These storms can wipe you and everything you own off the map.
Can be tough at times to make allowances for that.

Tell that to a deer during hunting “season“.
These storms can wipe you and everything you own off the map.
Can be tough at times to make allowances for that.
I’ve seen two cat 2 eyes pass right over my head- Florence could hit the coast as a cat 5- trust me, it’s a cause for alarm.

Then maybe you should NOT be living there.....

I'm tired of paying for subsidized flood insurance for you all, hurricane damage, etc.

We get snow storms, and we get NO federal help.
We get a tornado, but if it doesn't wipe out 10,000 houses, again NO help.
We have area's that flood, and we get NO help.

We pay highest road taxes because we have to subsidize YOUR roads, YOU don't
pay YOUR fair share. It's been proven the money flows south from Us in the Northeast.

Maybe build a stronger building ?
And make it higher up ?

Then maybe you should NOT be living there.....

I'm tired of paying for subsidized flood insurance for you all, hurricane damage, etc.
You don't pay any part of my insurance. NOBODy subsidizes USAA. We - who have paid the price of admission - choose to share among ourselves.
As we have always. Fender-bender. Or blood, sweat, and tears.
We get snow storms, and we get NO federal help.
We get a tornado, but if it doesn't wipe out 10,000 houses, again NO help.
We have area's that flood, and we get NO help.
Then maybe you should NOT be living there.
We pay highest road taxes because we have to subsidize YOUR roads,
YOU don't pay YOUR fair share. It's been proven the money flows south from Us in the Northeast.
You don't HAVE "roads". You have pothole kits velcro'ed together at the edges. Your politicians steal more than our politicians steal. OUR pothole kits come with asphalt filling already installed. Your ones get filled only with empty promises.
Maybe build a stronger building ?
And make it higher up ?

We have done.

19844 Blue Ridge Mountain Rd,
Bluemont, VA 20135

These storms effect broad inland regions.
It’s not just beach houses eh?
Distribution of cost to the nation from forest fires, earthquakes, hurricanes and all the other sundry ‘acts of god’ are part of the contract we all pay for participation in a nation of the size of the United States.

This one just happens to have a pattern all-too similar to "Hazel". A hurricane so devastating its very name was officially RETIRED from use. It caused death and destruction all the way to Canada.

Have look at its track. First graphic, here:

Hurricane Hazel: Recalling the 1954 disaster 58 years later - The Washington Post

Pennsylvania and New York were just where at the time?

Out to lunch, perhaps?

Or is that part a new thing?

These storms effect broad inland regions.
It’s not just beach houses eh?
Distribution of cost to the nation from forest fires, earthquakes, hurricanes and all the other sundry ‘acts of god’ are part of the contract we all pay for participation in a nation of the size of the United States.

Forecast feet-dry has shifted North significantly. Centered on NC now rather than NC/SC border.

Forecast feet-dry has shifted North significantly. Centered on NC now rather than NC/SC border.

That why the navy shifted the ships to sea- the bad quadrant is getting closer to taking out lower bay.
There is still time for change.
These storms can weaken significantly or change course.
Two days for a shift in the systems steering the storm to shift.

This is a story which reaches back in time.
I can well imagine running into the cave and yelling about the big bear coming our way.
Turns out the damn thing wanders off as they often do..

Right now folk are starting to worry about this bear..

‘Extremely dangerous’ Hurricane Florence may approach Category 5 as it churns toward the Carolinas - The Washington Post

Back