OT: Florence- looks like this one will effect my shop. - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    Californikyah has been "split off" from the Americas for scores of years.

The geology is only incidental.
    then why are we always stuck holding up the other 49 states?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Dickman View Post
    then why are we always stuck holding up the other 49 states?
    Time was, that wasn't far wrong. I can remember when it began as some of the best, and best "watered", arable and livestock grazing land on the entire planet - here in Virginia, Pennsylvania, "delmarva", and New Jersey were being covered-over with suburbia whilst our foodstuff were shipped-in from California's Imperial and Central valley - themselves at the mercy of water carried a long distance, and at great cost.

No longer.

Fruit and veg in local markets are more likely to have come from South America, Central America, or Mexico. Even wines and cheeses, I don't have to leave Virginia. And Angus beef? Just whimper.

"High tech"? Meahh. Texas, Washington & Oregon are major players, now. And "back East". Boston nor Washington "beltways" never actually QUIT high-tech just because San Jose could pollute more cheaply.

California would be rather self-sufficient if it were 500 miles offshore.

If it but had enough freshwater.

It doesn't. We do.

A tad TOO much of it at the moment. But there you are. Our soils geology, aquifers and waterways can actually cope and recover.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Then maybe you should NOT be living there.....
    I agree with you on the people who live right on the coastline. But far more damage is going to be done many, many miles inland in places where you would never expect such a problem.

Would you tell those people that they shouldn't be living there?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crazygoat View Post
    I agree with you on the people who live right on the coastline. But far more damage is going to be done many, many miles inland in places where you would never expect such a problem.

Doug? Depends.

Bad enough day at the office, he'll be telling Residents in Heaven it would be wise to get TF outta Dodge - they shouldn't have died at the wrong time to begin with!

Why should he be any different from the rest of we complacent hypnocranks?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

10 years ago I built white oak paneled shutters for friends in South Carolina. 10 sets of shutters cost me about $600.00 without hardware. The shutter hardware was wrought iron and cost more than the shutters. They installed the shutters themselves and have gone thru hurricanes without any window damage so far. I do not know yet how they made out with Florence. Probably okay as they are 100+ miles from the coast. I built the shutters with no labor costs as they were great to our family when we were in need.
    mike

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crazygoat View Post

Not living there in cardboard shacks.....

We get allot of snow, much like Buffalo & Syracuse.
    And so we have building codes that reflect this.

And every year, we have roof failures from poor construction.
    FEMA don't come a runnin', no money is handed out, no FEMA
    trailers have landed here.

Heck even the brand spankin' new Wal-mart had a cave in.

Flooding ? Kinzu dam was built (Cue Thermite), along with several smaller ones
    to keep flooding downstream to a minimum.

7. Likes Glug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Meanwhile Typhoon Mangkhut is, right now, smashing South East Asia.
    64 died in the Philippines.

9. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=digger doug;3234972]
    Quote Originally Posted by jim rozen View Post

Maybe we should take all the strip mines, and convert them to hydroelectric
    dams.....The land is already ruined for any other usage, so leave the "big hole"
    and put a dam in one end.

The hurricanes come every year in a "Season" so harvest them.....

Several Dams were built around here to control the spring "Seasonal"
    rains leading to the various large rivers down stream, thereby controlling
    flooding, and generating electricity.
    You guys need to teach the Australians that trick. Wivenhoe dam, flood control with no hydro.
    Still floods, no electricity. BTDT
    Thoughts are with all affected

Dazz- I thought I was a shitkicker but that takes the cake. Liquefaction mmm yum?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Proper construction and good design goes a long way to minimize damage when these things occur. We, as Americans do not do well in that department. It appears to be all about making a price point and preserving the good margin. As the saying goes, pay me now or pay me later, but pay me you will. Of course there is limit to contingency preparation, but we don't do enough of it. Simple things like window shutters are very effective at reducing damage risk at low cost. When I lived on Okinawa most houses were concrete block with poured concrete roofs and all had shutters. Every year they got typhoons. Guess what damage was minimum because they were prepared.

12. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Flooding ? Kinzu dam was built (Cue Thermite), along with several smaller ones
    to keep flooding downstream to a minimum.
    I remember "camping out" in modest rented quarters in Kinzua whilst Dad and the other half of Pittsburgh District CE's legendary "Gold Dust Twins" - Doc Philbrick, down at the geology lab, PGH, core-drilled the hell out of land and water to sort out where the ancient aquifer was so they could PLACE an Earthfill dam and PLUG the Aquifer's main course for that booger.

Aquifer carries more water into Lake Erie deep underground than the surface Allegheny carries to the Ohio. Sealing that so the Allegheny River Reservoir could become a reality was a sore challenging piece of work.

1936-1967, I doubt there was even ONE lock or dam, Pittsburgh District,CE, Dad wasn't on at one time or another. But electricity generation? Nooo. Not often on the dance-card of a flood-control dam nor the economically crucial navigation locks on the rivers meant to control pool depths. Not in Appalachia, anyway. Other places see multiple-use.

PA, NY, WV, OH, "multiple use" is mainly flood-control, fall through spring melt, then summertime boating until they again start dropping the pool right after labour day down to massive bare Earth and small mud-holes as they prep for rain and snow melt, next season, coming.

The Carolinas were never as well blessed for the simplest of historical and economic reasons.

New York, Virginia, Maryland, Pennsyltucky, Ohio, had the economic backdrop of private, State, Federal-enhanced canals, improved rivers, and a concentration of mills -not JUST steel, but that, too - that drove dependency on river navigation for heavy transport from pre-revolutionary War days to the present day.

War Two, a gadzillion tons of the massive components for warships came out of the mills, were rolled, forged, machined, pre-fabbed, all along the banks of Mon, Agony, or Ohio, then barged clear NORTH to the Great Lakes or Downriver to the gulf and up the coasts to the shipyards.

e-WV | Charleston Ordnance Center

And "not just steel" as moved by rivers, either. Bangstuff, too:

Untitled Document

Morgantown Ordnance Works Panoramas, 194-1942 – Pieces of History

"Landlocked", not-really "Forge of the Universe" Pittsburgh alone produce more steel 1946 than the entire rest of the world. Combined. And then we had Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, and the West Coast mills.

It took Imperial Japan 2 1/2 years worth of normal steel production for each of the three Yamato-class hulls. Mere rounding-errors to America's steel production capacity, same war.

Devastating 1936 wasn't the LAST time the mills were flooded and shut-down. But Corps of Engineers, hundreds of contractors, and billions of dollars had made it job ONE to see it was never again such a crippler.

Not until we just gave-the-fuck-UP , QUIT... and offshored basic "primary" steel production for its nasty pollution anyway...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

They let Kinzua down in Feb or so....
    The ice fisherman have been known to drill a hole, and find no water.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

They let Kinzua down in Feb or so....
    The ice fisherman have been known to drill a hole, and find no water.
    There were two "camps", 1930's and 1940's at odds within the Corps.

One wanted to put 130-plus small dams at the headwaters of every stream bigger than a carwash drain. The other, far fewer dams, but each with massive impoundment basins.

Compromise eventually tilted - and heavily so- to the big artillery - thankfully before property development and suburban, sub-suburban sprawl made it untenable to get enough right-of-way for the basins at any attainable cost.

When the Allegheny river reservoir is at full pond? It backs water north clear to Salamanca, NY and can be seen and recognized from the space station. Not the only such feature, either. Panama Canal, Tennessee–Tombigbee.. etc.

In World War I, General Pershing spoke of Engineer accomplishments:
    "The scientists said that it couldn't be done, but the damned fool Engineer didn't know that—so he just went ahead and did it!"

16. Likes digger doug liked this post