What's new
What's new

ot: Florida roadtrip. Things to see on the west coast of Florida.

i_r_machinist

Titanium
I'm at that point in life where its just me an the wife on a roadtrip. I'm going to take a week to get to the keys and stay there for a week. Anything cool to see on the west coast besides manatees and aligators?
thanks
i_r_

Mote Marine Aquarium in Sarasota. Drop me a PM with your number, I'll try to get you in for a tour of my shop.

If you go to the WW springs, take a ride on the boat touring the river produced by the springs. An incredible amount of water comes up out of the ground there.

Thomas Edison and Henry Ford winter estates in Fort Meyers.

A gravel road trip along the north and east sides of the Everglades. There are some houses along the road, but little traffic. That makes it easy to stop to see the life and take pictures. If you are going to try back roads, I recommend a DeLorme Atlas.

If you are going soon, it's probably not the best time of the year to try and see manatees.

Glass bottom boat tour - Silver Springs (Ocala) is good. Should be a few options between Crystal River and Ocala.

International Harvester museum near Wildwood, fl....SR 44 about six miles East of I-75, I think, I have not been there yet. I have seen the mermaids, loved that!

Robert, when I went by that little museum, it had an F-111 and an F-16 parked next to each other, two planes I worked on in the factory. I learned the last US F-111 had been retired on my birthday one year...

Robert, when I went by that little museum, it had an F-111 and an F-16 parked next to each other, two planes I worked on in the factory. I learned the last US F-111 had been retired on my birthday one year...

IIRC, F-111s were retired in the mid 1990s but they continued to use EF-111s for a while longer.

Busch Gardens is in Tampa. I've only been there once a long time ago, but I remember roller coasters and an African safari ride (real animals).

Back